Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #7531
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I see some mileage figures in this thread that seem pretty optimistic to me. I've never heard of anyone getting 300+ miles out of a tank, nor anyone consistently getting 48 mpg. There are a lot of reports of high-30's MPG.

FWIIW, I'm planning on low-40's for typical mileage and refueling stops about every 200-220 miles with a 1-gal reserve. I think this is a lot more realistic.

- Mark
i think you are misreading the units...they are talking kilometres....
Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #7532
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Go seven or so posts back..this is what an OWNER is getting with 6000km on the bike - 295Miles to empty, doing nothing special. Not totally out of step with oither owners, except maybe Warnabrother at Phillip Island.
LOL.. yes.. that day at Phillip Island sure did empty the tank quickly.. but then I did have it absolutely pinned down the main straight looking for 7th gear ..

But on a recent trip through Hotham, Bright etc on road and giving it beans.. I was constantly getting over 200miles to a tank.. easy.. and that is all 3rd and 4th full throttle corner exits for many 100's of miles
Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #7533
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 115
I think the numbers might be honest but I really think they are distorted by circumstance.
I doubt the GS or the ST can even do 120 miles per hour, or if so only just. So it might take 24 seconds to reach 120 mph but the mile might actually take 35 seconds but the bike had reached 120 mph 11 seconds before the end of the mile....... can this math work?
120 mph = 0.03 mpsecond, 11 seconds = 0.36 miles so it may have reached 120 mph after 0.63 miles....or about 1 kilometer.
The point is so much in print is poorly presented or explained. (like this of mine.....)
Perhaps they should have used 0-110 mph or 0-100 mph.
Having ridden both my ST and a GSA across a very fast run south of Omeo and swapping bikes with the very fast rider of the GSA I can attest that there was no significant power advantage to either of the two. Top end stuff is NOT their design brief. He really liked the ST and I thought the GSA was a lot of fun too. I think the ST is easier and more neutral but now I'm talking handling.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Seriously guys?

I read no further than the first few lines of this report, and then saw the road tires used as a "control".
Oddly, but perhaps not surprisingly, there are no off-road pics in the test yet there are comments on how they believe the bikes would fair off-road?
This was enough to convince me that there was nothing to be gained by reading further.

In typical male fashion I glanced over the pictures to note that the BMWGSA was reported as (UK Pounds) $12980 while the S10 was (UK Pounds) $13499... Really? - Boxes and all?
If that's the case then I am surprised anyone would buy an S10 in the U.K - Shame on you Yamaha U.K

The icing on the credibility cake can be seen below when you look at the 0-120mph time for the BMW listed at 24.1seconds, yet the standing mile takes 35.3seconds to achieve the same 120mph... Am I missing something here?

To all the guys anxiously waiting on the arrival of their machines, don't place too much (read any) truth in what you see in these reviews.... Just enjoy the pictures

Greg.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #7534
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
I think the numbers might be honest but I really think they are distorted by circumstance.
I doubt the GS or the ST can even do 120 miles per hour, or if so only just. So it might take 24 seconds to reach 120 mph but the mile might actually take 35 seconds but the bike had reached 120 mph 11 seconds before the end of the mile....... can this math work?
120 mph = 0.03 mpsecond, 11 seconds = 0.36 miles so it may have reached 120 mph after 0.63 miles....or about 1 kilometer.
The point is so much in print is poorly presented or explained. (like this of mine.....)
Having ridden both my ST and a GSA across a very fast run south of Omeo and swapping bikes with the very fast rider of the GSA I can attest that there was no significant power advantage to either of the two. Top end stuff is NOT their design brief. He really liked the ST and I thought the GSA was a lot of fun too. I think the ST is easier and more neutral but now I'm talking handling.
Cheers
I don't believe that top speed for a second.. I've had mine over 200km/h more than a few times down Gardner Straight at Phillip Island.. my speedo was covered, but I've ridden around there more than enough times to know what my mates on R1's and CBR600's are doing down the straigh when they pass me..
Old 03-25-2011, 03:38 AM   #7535
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
My VFR12 was slaughtered by the media. 12 months on - no issues. Fill with fuel and let rip. Repeat.
You wait, after they have been discontinued they will call them "much under appreciated" or some such term. It seems to happen a lot.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #7536
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Pivot Pegz for the Xt1200

Just a quick note that the PP16-Mk3 that fits all the previous model XT660/750 bikes does not fit the Xt1200 Super Tenere. The pin size is only 8mm and not 10mm like the Xt660.

Pivot has a bush kit to fix the problem for anyone who has fitted the PP16 pegz (In Australia) and will send them out on request. Or if you are considering a set, ask for the PP55-Mk3 pegz instead.

Another option of course would be to drill out the peg bracket to 10mm and fit pins off the XT660z. Why the f@ck Yamahaha puts an 8mm pin on the big bike and 10mm pins on the small bike is beyond me.

Wolfy

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #7537
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
Cheers
I might be one of the few ADV junkies out there with an R1200GS, an XT1200 and the new Ducati Multistrada in his/her fleet. For me the best road bike I have ever ridden is the Multistrada hands down. It has perfect position and the kick arse 1198 engine with 150hp.

The XT1200 is IMO like the bastard child of a KTM990 and a n R1200GS. More fun than the GS and who gives a shit if it is a second slower in a straight line 0-60? If I had to chose a bike to ride around Australia it would be the XT1200 every day of the week.

The GS is a stable bike. Predictable and I simply would rather be on the Yamaha or the Ducati most of the time.

Cheers

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #7538
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,510
new muffler now available

http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/yshop/Product_detail.asp?CatID=2&ModelID=XT1200Z&CatDesc=Adventure&offset=all&ProdID=9098
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #7539
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
I have found that in the U.S. if you can get 225 -250 mile fuel range, you can pretty much adventure tour just about anywhere and not run out. John Pitts and I have done some big stretches like the "Big Empty" in Wyoming and the Pony Express across Utah. If you can make 250 miles, you'll make it. Just, but you'll ride her in. So if the S10 can do this, I'm very happy.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #7540
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
MPG? I get consistently 5.2l/100km with sidecases, sometimes pillion, 120km/h highway speeds. some city trafic and worrie free throttle. Can easly drop it to 4.5l/100km with less throtle and closer to 100km/h speeds. Average 6l/100km with 150/160km/h speeds.

About the bad review, I'm not surprised. Euro testers have an huge tendency to be complete morons, they review all bikes the same way, with no segment context. Just check their score tables, the only time they change them is when testing a race enduro bike. I've seen comparatives between tourers/sport-tourers and big dual sports where the tourer wins because of the "greater high speed cornering and behavior". South African and Australian testers rule.

Interesting that when tested agaisnt the competition as a sport tourer the S10 consistently loses, but when tested as a big bore dual sport it consistently wins. I chose it as a dual sport, so....
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #7541
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Here it is http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/20...ongest-Day.pdf

These guys did not like the Super T
You can say that again. I had not seen that report. Strong words for sure.

"Don't be fooled by anyone who claims this is a GS beater, they're talking complete shite"

Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #7542
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Here it is http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/20...ongest-Day.pdf

These guys did not like the Super T

The only shite with those 3 bikes is the article itself, pure shite.

They complain that all 3 bikes are not off road capable, where are the off road pictures? Where are the dunes they tested the bikes on? Sounds like they took 3 farkeled out Vespa owners and they put them on real bikes.

S10 (Excellent bike for the purpose it was built for):
Dog slow: I hit 210km/h the other day for a while, that was cat fast, fast enough for me. If I wanted faster I would have purchased a YZF-R1. The XT1,200Z is not a racer and was never designed as one.
ABS "off" tricky: WTF? Why would you want it off? I guess because of the BMW they thought they had to, but they rode on tarmac wtf?
Price: More than a Vespa

Multistrada 1200S (Excellent bike for the purpose it was built for):
Lack of off-road skills: They may be referring to the rider..... Why is he steering the bike with his small penis? It might explain his lack of off road skills, try it sitting on the bike.......
Price: More than a Vespa
Delicate: WTF kind of observation is that? "Delicate".

R1,200GS (Excellent bike for the purpose it was built for):
Slow top end: Buy an S1,000rr you dip shit, when will they understand these bikes are not meant to be fast.
It's massive: They are 1,200cc bikes, what did you expect, your Vespa?!?!?!

What a bunch of SHITE! Fast bike magazine should stick to, you know, crotch rockets

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #7543
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Honestly, anyone who thinks a S10 is not powerfull or fast enough should really get a FJR instead (same aplies for the GSA). The S10 has WAY more than enough power and speed for it's purpose as a big dual sport. Heck, a F800GS is powerfull enough if you used the engine and gearbox the right way.

The only reasons I use a >1000cc bike is that I can think less about gears and RPM's, I can get in more stupid situations, overload the bike with crap more often and carry a pillion easly, in sum, because I'm lazy.

About the ABS, and for all who criticize the S10 sistem, PLEASE go to a dirt or deep gravel road and put all the power on the front brake, then tell me something. Keep in mind, not everything that's good on a 120kg dirt bike is good on a 250kgs one. Different contexts need different solutions, and an intelligent ABS is one on such big bikes
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #7544
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
Who gives a sh1t about these reviews 1 mile faster, 2 miles slower, 300 mile range, 250 mile range, I'm so F*&king tired of this BS

I just want the bike to get here, I don't give a FLYING CRAP if the Ducati had 500 HP, if the BMW has an OFF SWITCH

There are no UNBIASED REPORTS.....PERIOD.
Unless they get someone from the Amazon forest that have never seen either of these bikes

I'm a Ferrari fan, always have, always will be, give me a Ferrari, a Lambo, or whatever and I'm sure I will find something that will make the Ferrari be the best maybe it's just the color RED

Please YAMAHA, ship the bikes
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #7545
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Fuel Range

Echoing Docking Pilot's remarks. If I can get 250 miles from a tank I am a happy camper.

Just adds to all of the pluses of this bike.

Can't wait to eake delivery.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote