motorway speeds it was dry from
fully fuelled after 140 miles, which
isn’t good. The lying bastard of an
average mpg display on the flimsy
clocks suggested 44 to 47mpg during
our 2,000 test miles. That would be
well over 200 miles per 23 litre tank
full. Inaccurate enough for you?

One of the problems with the above statement is the reader cannot tell if this is a one off occurrence or if it happened all the time at highway speeds. Highway speeds are not defined. The is no reference in the article as to how the fuel mileage on the other bikes may have changed at "highway speeds" So, no comparison.

I don't think MPG computer calculators on vehicles are all that accurate but to have the mpg display read 44 to 47mpg and the bike actually deliver 28mpg (imperial gallons) suggests that maybe the rider didn't actually completely fill the tank up, probably for several gas stops in a row or made a mathematical error

These are the dry weights published in the article

Motorcycle S10 MS GS

Dry Weight 261kg 192kg 223kg

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 03-25-2011 at 09:15 AM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #7547
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I have to jump in and add to the fuel mileage reports. I don't believe the bikes will get the type of mileage in the States, that you are getting across the pond.
We are using Ethanol in our gas and that will drop the mileage around 10-15%, maybe more. I went from 44mpg to 36mpg on my last bike when I could no longer buy Ethanol free gas.

Just an FYI..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #7548
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
...I'm sure I will find something that will make the Ferrari be the best maybe it's just the color RED
I think Yellow Lambo's are the best. Ferrari's chew oil and get lousy fuel economy. Lambo's have been imbued with German logic, and are therefore now even more superior!

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #7549
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Echoing Docking Pilot's remarks. If I can get 250 miles from a tank I am a happy camper.

Just adds to all of the pluses of this bike.

Can't wait to eake delivery.
Another +1 to that....I got used to the DL doing about 240 during commuting..with a personal best of 264...need those long legs.

And another +1 to can't wait...I mean I can and I will happily under the circumstances....but I'm dreaming of that video of Wasp's exhaust.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #7550
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
These are the dry weights published in the article
MS GS

Dry Weight 261kg 192kg 223kg
Measured weights Fully fueled Kg

GSA 273
S10 268
MTS 223 *(Different Scales)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #7551
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I have to jump in and add to the fuel mileage reports. I don't believe the bikes will get the type of mileage in the States, that you are getting across the pond.
We are using Ethanol in our gas and that will drop the mileage around 10-15%, maybe more. I went from 44mpg to 36mpg on my last bike when I could no longer buy Ethanol free gas.

Just an FYI..
Agree, It's something to keep in mind. However the Strom Gets about the same on 98RON and 91RON E10. Best range on 91 RON E0, but a tiny bit rough, 95RON E0 is its sweet spot, and 98 E0 is a waste but works ok, except for a slight wheeziness at 3-4K. Also the same type of fuel from different manufacturers have different ranges as well.
It's a mess out there I tell ya!

The S10 has a closed loop system, so it may be worse or better. Dunno?

We also get E85 now. Wonder how an MTS would go with 15:1 compression and a bigger tank.

Cheers
Graham

Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #7552
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Min requirement on the S10 is 95, which thankfully is ethanol free. Haven't ridden mine enough to check the real consumption figures, but it is very good, they are an economical bike like the TDM900 was. But with the speedo reading 10-11% fast how much do I trust the dash computer. I need to check the odometer reading against one of the 5km speedo check areas on the freeways to see if/how much any correction is required. The bike is apparently getting a quite consistent 4.8-5 km/l (I don't do l/100km, sorry).

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Agree, It's something to keep in mind. However the Strom Gets about the same on 98RON and 91RON E10. Best range on 91 RON E0, but a tiny bit rough, 95RON E0 is its sweet spot, and 98 E0 is a waste but works ok, except for a slight wheeziness at 3-4K. Also the same type of fuel from different manufacturers have different ranges as well.
It's a mess out there I tell ya!

The S10 has a closed loop system, so it may be worse or better. Dunno?

We also get E85 now. Wonder how an MTS would go with 15:1 compression and a bigger tank.

Cheers
Graham

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #7553
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-58 View Post
The bike is apparently getting a quite consistent 4.8-5 km/l (I don't do l/100km, sorry).

Al

ummm... that cannot be right. that is under 20km per gallon (and under 12 miles/ gallon)

what am I reading wrong here?
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #7554
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Got me stumped also.. maybe it was a typo?
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #7555
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 584
About to place my order and I am wondering if the factory luggage is really that bad or if I should plan to go with something else? Are any of the factory add ons worth it? Are any "necessary" (as in they improve the bike/comfort/etc so much that you wouldn't take them off)?

I don't need to order the parts with the bike but the dealer is giving me a pretty decent discount on any extras I get so I am just trying to figure out who to go with.

Thanks

Dastard
Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #7556
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard View Post
About to place my order and I am wondering if the factory luggage is really that bad or if I should plan to go with something else? Are any of the factory add ons worth it? Are any "necessary" (as in they improve the bike/comfort/etc so much that you wouldn't take them off)?

I don't need to order the parts with the bike but the dealer is giving me a pretty decent discount on any extras I get so I am just trying to figure out who to go with.

Thanks

Dastard

the way I see it, the only reason to get the factory panniers would be if you really care about the width of the bike over every other factor. They are just about the most narrow option when mounted.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #7557
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard View Post

Thanks

Dastard
I personally don't see a problem with the OEM luggage. If the locks are fiddly then push down on the friggin lid then turn the key, seems rather simple to me. Surely a little thin key won't turn the lock mechanism with the lid under pressure from a water tight seal gasket. I've had Jesse bags in the past so I will deal with the OEM bags and be happy. At least my keys won't be the same as everyone else's. And of course they look the best IMO. I don't need 55 gallon drums hanging off the side of the bike to travel.

I am planning on going OEM.

Go ahead pull the trigger...
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #7558
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni View Post
They are just about the most narrow option when mounted.
That was true until last week when the first pics of the Jesse S10 bags started showing up. Same width as the OEM, a lot more capacity. I'm sure both racks and bags will be stronger too. No pricing yet but most likely only a little more expensive than the OEM (depending on how much discount you're getting from your dealer of course).

Go here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post15427729

Actually only now did I read the release properly - they have THREE options - 105 litres/35.5" (same width as stock but holding an extra 41 litres), 90l/33.5 (these will be mine I think - 2" narrower than stock but holding 25 litres more) and 112 litres/38".

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 03-25-2011 at 07:21 PM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #7559
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
That was true until last week when the first pics of the Jesse S10 bags started showing up. Same width as the OEM, a lot more capacity. I'm sure both racks and bags will be stronger too. No pricing yet but most likely only a little more expensive than the OEM (depending on how much discount you're getting from your dealer of course).

Go here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post15427729

Actually only now did I read the release properly - they have THREE options - 105 litres/35.5" (same width as stock but holding an extra 41 litres), 90l/33.5 (these will be mine I think - 2" narrower than stock but holding 25 litres more) and 112 litres/38".

Trevor
Jesse bags, no thanks been there done that twice and both times thank god for Home Depot (drill bits, washers, dremel tips, bolts and my know how) or they would have never fit each bike. Not to mention the locks simply fell out of both sets of bags over time and were only held in my by epoxy. And my keys worked in two other friends bags and their keys worked in my bags. Service after the sale was uggh shall I be nice, non-existent. $1100 bucks both times. The bags were big was about the only upside to the sale.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #7560
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 584
Thanks for the replies. Now can anyone tell me if an arai xd can fit in the topcase and if you can fit two, one gallon jugs in the 32l right bag?

Also, what are the deminsions of the boxes.

Thanks

Dastard