User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
Rukka for some ADVriders - Gear Discussion/FAQ

Trophy Cycle Apparel welcomes you to the ADV Gear and Discussion thread for Rukka motorcyclingwear.

We are pleased to introduce this reference section for sharing Rukka product information with current clientele and anyone contemplating this truly special gear. For more detailed reviews and tips for enjoying your Rukka check in on this thread periodically. To get things rolling let's start with some FAQs.

Q: What (who) is Rukka?
A: For over 60 years Rukka, based in Lahti, Finland, has developed and manufactured high quality textile and protective clothing. They first presented their Gore-Tex motorcycle apparel at the IFMA Motorbike Show in Cologne in 1986. This year over 27,000 readers of Motorrad, Europe's biggest motorcycle magazine, chose Rukka as "Best Brand of 2011" in the textile apparel category. Their current Rukka Defence & Comfort standards meet the strictest criteria for protection, weather-proofing and riding comfort.

Q: How does Rukka compare to (name your brand)?
A: Trophy Cycle Apparel looks forward to discussing comparisons between Rukka and any gear you'd like to bring to the table. While we do respect and have on many occasions recommended other brand apparel, we're not here to backrub other choices just because they are popular, cheaper or more widely available.

Q: Why does this stuff cost so much?
A: Rukka is expensive but its value substantiated. Besides their extensive R&D, superior fit and function there's a host of key elements - Armacor (Cordura/Kevlar mix), Dupont Cordura AFT, Gore-Tex Pro-Shell, Gore Lockout Closure, AirVantage, Outlast Adaptive Comfort, SuperFabric, the list goes on. Unlike other "eurostyle" gear mass produced in China, Rukka has always done their own manufacturing in their own European factories located in Finland and Portugal. Rukka does not allow indiscriminate discounting among its authorized dealers but closeouts do become available from time to time. We're also aware some buyers perceive better deals outside N.America. Note that warranty issues on those purchases would have to be expedited by that dealer in whatever country they operate (per Rukka corporate). There also may be exchange, shipping, customs, brokerage and tax issues to consider. Since we wish this to be more of a product and feature oriented discussion forgive us if we keep the price comparison talk to a minimum.

Q: Do you carry all the Rukka gear?
A: Given the lower demand and production volume for Rukka it's never been a practical goal. We'd much rather be able to offer sufficient stock and exchanges. Trophy Cycle Apparel also doesn't blindly recommend everything in any brand's catalogue just because they're on our roster. Even premium manufacturers have their share of hits and misses and fortunately none of our vendors have yet to force its entire line on us. To that end we've cherry-picked the best Rukka based on our 12+ years experience. One outfit for fall/winter and another for spring/summer with some seasonal overlap. Currently we offer the Armas and are taking spring preorders for the new Unicorn. Rukka also does more conventional gear at lesser price points but once it gets down to certain parity levels you might as well be shopping other brands.

Q: I'm a ADVrider vendor. May I get in on the discussion?
A: Sure, our colleagues need not feel precluded just because they have a business or an opinion. The more lively and open the talk the less it all devolves into a neverending advertisement. So chime in, speak your mind. We extend all professional courtesy. It's our sandbox but anyone can play.

Trophy Cycle Apparel was one of the original N.American Rukka dealers since our inception in 1999. It has remained our "pick" for the most protective comfortable waterproof gear you can buy. That's why we don't sell its numerous competitors, part and parcel with our never having aspired to the accessory superstore business model. At Trophy Cycle Apparel we simply search out the best possible product in a category and make it our sole recommendation. We are selective, perhaps to a fault, which accounts for Trophy Cycle Apparel having hosted Rukka along with higher-end brands over the years such as Vanson, Schuberth, Held and Vendramini. For immediate off-forum response please call 800-315-9935 or email info@trophycycleapparel.com.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
homeontherange
Ochlophobiac

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtp4 View Post
rukka quality is phenomenal, and their gear is worth every penny.
+100...best gear ever.

It was about 100 F out when I picked up my new bike from the shop. I was whining about the heat in my leathers. Salesperson said why doncha try this Rukka gear...it's cool in this kinda weather.

I said Yeah right! She said try it...if you don't like it, don't buy it. OK. Rukka'd up, went for spin...hmm, this is real good...just like riding in a t-short and shorts. Made the purchase...yeah, it was pricy, but has been "worth every penny".

Also it's warm in cold weather...and...you never have to stop and put on rain gear. Yeah, it's that good...and it has a 5 year warranty, which I've never used. If I was WB, I'd buy the company.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 996
I am after some Fall - Spring gear and am considering the Rukka ArmaS or the BMW Streetguard 3. I am happy with my perforated leather in the summer.

So, what is the difference in abbrasian resistance between the Armacor used on the Rukka vs the Keproshield used on the BMW?

Also, are there any facts on the difference in impact protection between the Rukka RVP & APS armour vs. the BMW NP.

About other differences - I recgnize that the Rukka is Gore-Tex whereas the BMW doesn't really have the waterprood claim.
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W

tundra61 screwed with this post 03-30-2011 at 08:35 PM
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Both outfits achieve their protection and comfort goals via different routes. The Rukka Armas with Armacor, Outlast and Gore-Tex; the BMW Streetguard with Keproshield and c-change membrane. Keproshield, not to be confused with Keprotec, isn't referenced specifically in Schoeller's info site. A cursory search brought up only the same BMW described 3-layer laminate of Kevlar/cotton/polymide. A comparison to Rukka Armacor's Kevlar/Cordura blend will need further investigation. BMW c-change fabric's open/close reaction to outside conditions is very compelling though it may not deal effectively where you have an active overheated person in a cold environment. Whereas the Rukka Gore-Tex/Outlast set-up breathes and adjusts continuously to body core temps inside the garment. The Armas also utilizes the Gore Lockout Closure in lieu of a standard toothed zipper eliminating the complications of extra flaps while providing total leak-free performance.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,751
how does the gear compare to klim adventure ?

bloochdog screwed with this post 03-30-2011 at 11:52 PM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

We like the Klim Adventure but it parts company with the Rukka Armas on a number of fronts. Klim uses Armacor textile (Kevlar/Cordura mix) in its premium jacket only to reinforce impact areas. Rukka may be the only manufacturer to use this high level protection 100% throughout, the logic being that every area is potentially exposed to impact and abrasion forces. The Klim fit is baggier and uses Gore Lockout Closures only for the pockets. Rukka Armas is more of a precision road fit better suited for most situations including highway speeds. It also uses Gore Lockout Closure for its main primary front zip eliminating the need for a cumbersome flap. Why Klim doesn't is a bit of a confusion. Pricing is about the same though Rukka is European-made with Klim being made in China.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Good info, Mike.

I don't know if you have Rukka's ear, but I've never gotten too serious about Rukka because they don't make what, to me, is a 4 season suit. Yes, always a compromise!

I had a APR2, but sold it off. I just don't like mesh thanks to dehydration. That may be a personal issue!

None of the other suits have enough venting. It almost seems like Rukka is forcing one to buy two of their suits to cover all bases.

Yes, the "Cordura" line looks nice, but 500d really isn't enough protection to justify the high price.

Do you know if Rukka has any plans to make a Armacor suit with TONS of venting to truly cover all bases? That is the thing Klim has done with the Adventure suit and appears to be doing with the Badlands. It will sell well for that reason.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike View Post
...Unlike other "eurostyle" gear mass produced in China, Rukka has always done their own manufacturing in their own European factories located in Finland and Portuga...
I have Rukka gloves and they are made in China. Still, the quality is good.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Good info, Mike.

I don't know if you have Rukka's ear, but I've never gotten too serious about Rukka because they don't make what, to me, is a 4 season suit. Yes, always a compromise!

I had a APR2, but sold it off. I just don't like mesh thanks to dehydration. That may be a personal issue!

None of the other suits have enough venting. It almost seems like Rukka is forcing one to buy two of their suits to cover all bases.

Yes, the "Cordura" line looks nice, but 500d really isn't enough protection to justify the high price.

Do you know if Rukka has any plans to make a Armacor suit with TONS of venting to truly cover all bases? That is the thing Klim has done with the Adventure suit and appears to be doing with the Badlands. It will sell well for that reason.
4-season is a tall order but Rukka gets closer than most. Your old APR2 has since upgraded to the APR3, AirVision, and now the new Unicorn. It features AirVantage adjustable insulation that adds or substracts air to its inflatable chambers (you blow into a tube, no air compressor required) allowing what would be a summer garment to work down to 40fh. The Unicorn outer jacket is a Dupont tight-knit Cordura AFT that flows air freely and not the wide open mesh more commonly seen with other manufacturers. The Armas will never be a summer outfit though its use of Outlast PCM (featured in most of the better Rukka gear) takes a bit of the heat edge off. Note that the Armas is not straight Cordura but Armacor Kevlar/Cordura blend offering the best of both materials. Always appreciate your high standards Jim.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
"for some ADV Riders.". Well done Mike.

Compliments on an intelligent, accurate, and not at all hyperbolic post. Rukka quality is phenomenal, and their gear is worth every penny.

BP
Much appreciated Brtp4. We also dig the BOMBERS and their blueprint for riding. Anything to fend off moto-walmartinization.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #11
g.slick
gracie

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeontherange View Post
+100...best gear ever.
Yep. My suit has seen many miles and all sorts of weather over the past several seasons. LOVE my Rukka.
I have lost a bunch of weight recently and it is hanging off of me now, so I am shopping for new gear, but having had Rukka, it really makes everything else look...well not nearly as amazing. Nothing else comes close.

So what are the options for the ladies Mike??

g.slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Aramas for Spring/Summer/Fall (some Winter)?

Hello Mike,

I've exchanged a few emails with you this past week about purchasing a size 56 Black Aramas (You should be getting a call from my Wife soon...anniversary present!).

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Aramas is going to be too hot for N California Summers? The temps here in the summer range between 60-80 degrees, and I was hoping that by removing the inner layer and opening the vents I would stay cool. Is this going to work, or is this too much jacket? Mind you I also need a jacket that can handle Spring and Fall, which can range between rain and 35 degrees, and a sunny 70.

Also, I appear to be on the cusp of two jacket sizes. My chest measurement is 43", just under the armpits and across the broadest part of my chest. Is it better to go with the slightly larger 56 or go with the 54, which I would assume is going to fit rather snug if these jackets fit true to size?

Thanks!

Mike
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.slick View Post
Yep. My suit has seen many miles and all sorts of weather over the past several seasons. LOVE my Rukka.
I have lost a bunch of weight recently and it is hanging off of me now, so I am shopping for new gear, but having had Rukka, it really makes everything else look...well not nearly as amazing. Nothing else comes close.

So what are the options for the ladies Mike??
Hey Slick, congrats on the weight loss. I've been trying to gain some height myself. There is a womens specific version of the Armas called the Armiina (no misspelling). All the usual Rukka protective amenities -- 100% Armacor (Kevlar Cordura blend) throughout, Gore-Tex 3-layer laminate, Gore Lockout Closure, CE EN1621-1 Airflow Armor, plus less important, it looks great. Not on our website yet here's a pic --
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
Hello Mike,

I've exchanged a few emails with you this past week about purchasing a size 56 Black Aramas (You should be getting a call from my Wife soon...anniversary present!).

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Aramas is going to be too hot for N California Summers? The temps here in the summer range between 60-80 degrees, and I was hoping that by removing the inner layer and opening the vents I would stay cool. Is this going to work, or is this too much jacket? Mind you I also need a jacket that can handle Spring and Fall, which can range between rain and 35 degrees, and a sunny 70.

Also, I appear to be on the cusp of two jacket sizes. My chest measurement is 43", just under the armpits and across the broadest part of my chest. Is it better to go with the slightly larger 56 or go with the 54, which I would assume is going to fit rather snug if these jackets fit true to size?

Thanks!

Mike
Hey Hubbman, the Armas with thermal lining out should be fine at 80 degrees. Besides upper chest venting it has TFL Cool Black on the outside and Outlast PCM inside to take off some of the heat edge. Note, even with all this temperature control the Armas is not a summer garment. No solid textile jacket is no matter how inflated the sales pitch. Rukka runs true to size (add 10 pts to your US size). You could wear the 54 but if you have a bit of a midsection or prefer a fuller fit go to the next size. Check what consistent US size you are in other outerwear. As usual bulky clothing underneath is not necessary or recommended. Kudos to the good wife for making this a gift rather than more gear to hide from her.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy mike View Post
there is a womens specific version of the armas called the armiina (no misspelling). All the usual rukka protective amenities -- 100% armacor (kevlar cordura blend) throughout, gore-tex 3-layer laminate, gore lockout closure, ce en1621-1 airflow armor, plus less important, it looks great. Not on our website yet here's a pic --
Do you plan on bringing the Armiina in?
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote