Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
Too bad they max out at 13. Us big-footed fellas never get any love from the really quality bootmakers.

--chiba
Chiba, if you want 14s, I can get them.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
Revill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
14's? Really?

You've got my attention. I wear a 14 AA. Is there any possibility?

Revill
Revill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Yes, it is. Sending you a PM.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
Missouri Marine
Bob

Oddometer: 18
Gaerne Adventure

How would you compare the Pro-tech to the Gaerne Adventure? I'd like something with protection for off-road riding, but comfortable to walk in.

Bob
Missouri Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Marine View Post
How would you compare the Pro-tech to the Gaerne Adventure? I'd like something with protection for off-road riding, but comfortable to walk in.

Bob
The Pro Tech has a stiffer midsole, thicker leather, and goodyear welt construction. It is a little more supportive, a little less flexible. I prefer it, but I have more of an off road slant.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
Missouri Marine
Bob

Oddometer: 18
Gaerne Boots

Thanks.
Missouri Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
chiba
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Chiba, if you want 14s, I can get them.
No kidding? Please PM me w/details.

--chiba

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

sent you a reply.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,806
I have heard that some of the Gaerne boots fit a wider calf but I can't find any sizing info to that effect. I wear a Women's 12 but end up in Men's boots because so few mfgs make an EU44 or EU45 in the narrower foot bed. Add to that the large calf muscles and I end up in shorty boots. What I'm looking for would be height of the boot and diameter at that height (measured from inside boot if possible) do you have any info you can point me to ?

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
I have heard that some of the Gaerne boots fit a wider calf but I can't find any sizing info to that effect. I wear a Women's 12 but end up in Men's boots because so few mfgs make an EU44 or EU45 in the narrower foot bed. Add to that the large calf muscles and I end up in shorty boots. What I'm looking for would be height of the boot and diameter at that height (measured from inside boot if possible) do you have any info you can point me to ?
Not so much they fit a wider calf - they do - but the fit in the foot chamber is wide also. They may work for you but you will almost certainly need aftermarket insoles.

Best way to determine if they will work is to measure your calf circumference while standing on the floor barefoot at 8", 10", and 12". Also, if you use knee armor in side the boot. Can you PM me with this info?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
I've been looking at these for a while, and ordered a pair of Pro Techs this evening. My Gaerne GX-1s are pretty comfortable, but plans for the entire TAT and Great Divide this summer mean lots of hours in the saddle, and on my feet. Hope that my Red Wing boot oil will help with water, and maybe some wax on the welts. My riding buddy ordered a pair as well and we'll be giving them a good testing.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #27
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Agreed. They are almost old school in their construction. This is a good thing, my old Hi Points were the longest lasting pair of boots I ever owned.

BP
I am still using my Alpinestar Roger De Coster boots. As you had the Hi Points which are very similar, how does the quality of materials and construction compared to these old Alpinestars? I bought mine new in 1984 and they are still going strong. When I bought them I used them as road boots for a long time, so they havent really had a hard time offroad, as I have only been dual sporting for about the last 2 years or so. I really like my Alpinestars and whilst expensive to buy in 1984 have proved to be an excellent value boot, given the life of them. I am contemplating retiring them, but want to buy something of similar quality and life. Quality of materials and construction with a long service life are important to me.

Would the Gaerne Balances be that boot? Or would you recommend something else? I have tried Sidis and my foot is too wide to comfortably fit them.
grogger123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogger123 View Post
I am still using my Alpinestar Roger De Coster boots. As you had the Hi Points which are very similar, how does the quality of materials and construction compared to these old Alpinestars? I bought mine new in 1984 and they are still going strong. When I bought them I used them as road boots for a long time, so they havent really had a hard time offroad, as I have only been dual sporting for about the last 2 years or so. I really like my Alpinestars and whilst expensive to buy in 1984 have proved to be an excellent value boot, given the life of them. I am contemplating retiring them, but want to buy something of similar quality and life. Quality of materials and construction with a long service life are important to me.

Would the Gaerne Balances be that boot? Or would you recommend something else? I have tried Sidis and my foot is too wide to comfortably fit them.
The Pro Techs are almost that same boot, except that they are lower, and do not have some of the reinforcements in between the layers of leather. But it is the closest thing going IMO. Most of the newer boots use thinner leather, split grain, and use plastic to compensate.

BTW, got a bad vintage jones too.....I have a search saved permanently on EBay trying to find a pair of the old Tech 4s.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #29
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
The Pro Techs are almost that same boot, except that they are lower, and do not have some of the reinforcements in between the layers of leather. But it is the closest thing going IMO. Most of the newer boots use thinner leather, split grain, and use plastic to compensate.

BTW, got a bad vintage jones too.....I have a search saved permanently on EBay trying to find a pair of the old Tech 4s.

BP
Thanks for that BP. The Protechs certainly look good and seem excellent value. Do you guys ship to Australia? By the way, in Australia, the Bombers is the nickname of the Essendon Football club. They are an Aussie Rules football team playing in the Australian Football League. Their club colours are black and red. When you refer to the Bombers, that is what immediately comes to my mind.
grogger123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #30
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
BP
So the big difference between the Pro-Tech and the Adventure, is that the Pro-tech is better built and has a little more support, but the Adventure is waterproof. Is that the basic difference?

Since you carry both of them, how would you compare the Adventure and Pro Tech, to the A* scouts?

Thanks for the input!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote