Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #19652
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Crit ?

It's the name of my Dog....

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #19653
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

65 miles on the road bike yesterday, slow but steady. feels good to be getting back in shape.....

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #19654
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave View Post
65 miles on the road bike yesterday, slow but steady. feels good to be getting back in shape.....

Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #19655
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave View Post
It's the name of my Dog....
Nice
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #19656
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Nice
back when I got her (11 years ago) I was a pretty good crit racer (cat 2) but I have been kind of out of it the past 5 years or so, but i got talked into doing a 12 hour Mtb race next weekend as a duo.....so been triing to get back into a shape other then round....

Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #19657
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

Still riding too, been riding once or twice a week, fixed gear in the local park (Prospect Park), and the roadie on wknds in upper NJ/NYstate.
Cool. Glad to hear you're still riding.

I'm finally picking up my new ATB this weekend. Having a new bike is going to be quite motivating...or at least that's the idea.

My business is winding down with the end of ski season so I'll have a ton more time to ride. I'll continue to post up race(ish) reports. I'm not sure what I did night before last is racing as much as riding around in a circle and watching a race.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #19658
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
6th place out of 48. Better than I expected. Probably could have placed better if my sprint were more consistent. Still, got $$ back to cover race entry. a good day overall. Massive head wind from the 500 meter all the way to start/finish. I stayed about 1/3 to halfway back in the pack most of the race. Let the cowboys go out and smoke themselves off the front. No one could get a break started due to the wind bringing them back every lap. I was in good position to react if anyone started to get organized. flat finish with a 3-4% grade hill on the back section. That topped out and dropped off after a sharp left hook. Easily up to 30+ mph w/out pedaling. I could consistently make up 10-12 spots in that downhill section just by clicking down and pedaling on the inside. Fast, sharp left-hander that swirled next to a pond on one side and open field on the right. Full-on, 20mph+ headwind all the way to the finish. At the top of the downhill on the last lap, I was grouped up front with 4. We all took off for the finish after the left hander and gutted it through the wind to the finish. I should have placed better than 6th, but I clicked down a gear thinking I could pull a bit more speed. Too much and it slowed my sprint way down. Only lost one position from that mistake, but still placed better than I expected. I wanted at least top ten and did it. Now to recover, replenish and race a hilly 43 mile RR in the morning.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #19659
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
6th place out of 48. Better than I expected. Probably could have placed better if my sprint were more consistent. Still, got $$ back to cover race entry. a good day overall. Massive head wind from the 500 meter all the way to start/finish. I stayed about 1/3 to halfway back in the pack most of the race. Let the cowboys go out and smoke themselves off the front. No one could get a break started due to the wind bringing them back every lap. I was in good position to react if anyone started to get organized. flat finish with a 3-4% grade hill on the back section. That topped out and dropped off after a sharp left hook. Easily up to 30+ mph w/out pedaling. I could consistently make up 10-12 spots in that downhill section just by clicking down and pedaling on the inside. Fast, sharp left-hander that swirled next to a pond on one side and open field on the right. Full-on, 20mph+ headwind all the way to the finish. At the top of the downhill on the last lap, I was grouped up front with 4. We all took off for the finish after the left hander and gutted it through the wind to the finish. I should have placed better than 6th, but I clicked down a gear thinking I could pull a bit more speed. Too much and it slowed my sprint way down. Only lost one position from that mistake, but still placed better than I expected. I wanted at least top ten and did it. Now to recover, replenish and race a hilly 43 mile RR in the morning.
Good job,It's not supposed to this windy tomorrow.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #19660
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,112
Congrats on the crit. Placing high in a road race is like predicting the future, hard to do when so many people are gunning for the same spot.

All I did was suffer for 3 hours at low rpm on a single speed waiting up for two blokes who bit off more than they could chew. I did find a full can of tire shine though!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #19661
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Bout an hour till I head on over to the first ever Vint Hill Gravel Road Ride. I'm a bit miffed at the club associated with the shop tho. I've had this ride planned since before Crimmus and what did they do? Scheduled another ride.

Eff em.

They can do what they wanna do. I'M gonna do what I wanna do. If our paths cross, great. If not, that's fine too.

I'm gonna bet there's a grand total of one of me on this ride today. Oh well. I'LL have fun!

Ghent-Wevelgem today is being run today.

M
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #19662
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Cool. Glad to hear you're still riding.

I'm finally picking up my new ATB this weekend. Having a new bike is going to be quite motivating...or at least that's the idea.

My business is winding down with the end of ski season so I'll have a ton more time to ride. I'll continue to post up race(ish) reports. I'm not sure what I did night before last is racing as much as riding around in a circle and watching a race.
Samo -

I also (was) picking up a new MTN bike this yr, first one since my Klein around 4/5 yrs ago. I ordered it in January thinking a great winter bike/motivator.... but it's still not in yet, Cannondale must be having issues @ the factories or something.... I'll probably get it smack in the middle of spring, just when I don't need it.

Did do a lot of x country skiing this winter though to compensate.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #19663
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,112
Ricardo, check your email and pm's

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #19664
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
So I'll give y'all a guess how many people showed up this AM for my ride.

G'head. Guess.

If you didn't say 'none' you were wrong.

I'd ridden over planning on being surprised if someone had shown up. Hung out for 10-12min and when no cars headed my way, said 'eff em' and went and started on my ride.

Since it was just me, I'd already planned on making it shorter. I'm still sorta sick and I'm playing UW Hockey tonite.

Rode down Manley, turned left on Fitzwater, turned left on Lonesome Rd and within a quarter mile, felt the familliar sensation of a flat.

K. I have 3 CO2 cartridges and a patch kit. I'm OK.

Pull out the flatted tube and installed my spare.

Headed out down the road and within another few hundred meters, I felt it again!

OK. No worries. Patch tube 1 and keep going. Weeeeelllll seems tube 1 had 3-4 different holes in it and while I *thought* I'd gotten em all before I burned CO2 number 2, it didn't hold air. Break out tube 2 again and find the hole in that now...

Seemed that there was only 1 hole in tube 2. Praying to doG that the Lezyne patches I had with me would work without the sandpaper (they seem to!) I put the CO2 into the newly 'repaired' tube.

It held!

I headed down the road on the original trajectory... Got about another 100m and decided that discretion was the better part of valor today and turned back around.

That's when I noticed my HS was loose. HowTF THAT happend, I haven't the foggiest, but there ya go! Tightened the HS and oozed back up the road MUCH slower than the mach 3 I'd gone down. Managed to escape Lonesome Rd without flatting on the way back towards home.

Had the briefest of thoughts of heading back home and grabbing another wheelset and trying again, but I caught a case of the screwits pretty quickly.

So now I need to go pull the tube out of the wheel and restock my emergency kit. Next time Lonesome Rd! You're MINE!!

M
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #19665
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,557
Dude, I feel your pain. I just did a 6 mi shakedown ride, more a confidence & technique builder than any other real workout. Last time I rode this bike I crashed it and the time before that I flatted on that course and had to walk home through meth neighborhoods.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: