ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #19531
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
I raced a fair amount around the Boulder area from about 1992 thru 2003. I was always much faster in a mountain bike or CX race than on the road...I was a good climber and good runner but never really did much as a sprinter.

Since then I've put on about 60 lbs, lost 20 of it and am just racing to remind myself to be concerned about my fitness and not just buy new, larger pants every year. Looking at the photos from last nights race I don't see myself as much as some fat guy in my jersey and on my bike.

I was like most folks I guess. Always had a bicycle while growing up. Living as far out in the country as I did, it was used mostly for transporting whatever between my friend's houses and mine. I never even knew about competitive cycling until I was in the Navy back in '94 and had a few buddies that did it. I did not start racing until last year though and jumped in with both feet. Completed two mountain centuries here in N.C. competed in 27 races from March to September and completed a 200 mile ride in 13 hours with two of my team mates.

It's a worse addiction than motorcycling ever was... I seriously get cranky and frustrated when I don't get some miles in on the bike just about daily throughout the warm months. Winter roller sessions are just an exercise in patience and pain tolerance for pedaling in one place as long as I can stand it. I love it though and it has been the best improvement on fitness I have ever experienced. I'm in better shape now than I was as a rescue swimmer in the Navy (while smoking 1.5 packs per day). Just wish I had known about competitive cycling when I was an errant youth with an overabundance of energy and testosterone. Man what I could have done with a nice bike and a little knowledge.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #19532
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
This this pretty crazy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWCn3BbwyA
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #19533
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I was like most folks I guess. Always had a bicycle while growing up. Living as far out in the country as I did, it was used mostly for transporting whatever between my friend's houses and mine. I never even knew about competitive cycling until I was in the Navy back in '94 and had a few buddies that did it. I did not start racing until last year though and jumped in with both feet. Completed two mountain centuries here in N.C. competed in 27 races from March to September and completed a 200 mile ride in 13 hours with two of my team mates.

It's a worse addiction than motorcycling ever was... I seriously get cranky and frustrated when I don't get some miles in on the bike just about daily throughout the warm months. Winter roller sessions are just an exercise in patience and pain tolerance for pedaling in one place as long as I can stand it. I love it though and it has been the best improvement on fitness I have ever experienced. I'm in better shape now than I was as a rescue swimmer in the Navy (while smoking 1.5 packs per day). Just wish I had known about competitive cycling when I was an errant youth with an overabundance of energy and testosterone. Man what I could have done with a nice bike and a little knowledge.
Yeah. I know what you mean about what happens when you don't ride. You wouldn't like to be around me if I didn't.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #19534
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
I'm not blowing great big ole gobs of snot outta my nose.

I'm not laying in bed wishing I were dead and/or puking due to a headache

The sun's out after what seems like forever of rain (with more to come)

I'ma gonna go ride my bicycle for an hour or so for the first time since last Wed when this cold walloped me upside the head.

Leaving in...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #19535
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm not blowing great big ole gobs of snot outta my nose.

I'm not laying in bed wishing I were dead and/or puking due to a headache

The sun's out after what seems like forever of rain (with more to come)

I'ma gonna go ride my bicycle for an hour or so for the first time since last Wed when this cold walloped me upside the head.

Leaving in...

M
Cheers and have a great ride. Looks like the weather is improving here as well.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #19536
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
You guys see this yet?

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #19537
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
Its 1April...

Take that last one with a grain of salt.

Duh!



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #19538
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its 1April...

Take that last one with a grain of salt.

Duh!



M
Bastage! Had me going with the headline....
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #19539
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821




M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #19540
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer
 
GS Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: in the land of entrapment
Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Crit ?

It's the name of my Dog....
__________________
There is nothing I won't ride on your bike

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #19541
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer
 
GS Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: in the land of entrapment
Oddometer: 3,179
65 miles on the road bike yesterday, slow but steady. feels good to be getting back in shape.....
__________________
There is nothing I won't ride on your bike

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #19542
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post



M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave View Post
65 miles on the road bike yesterday, slow but steady. feels good to be getting back in shape.....

__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #19543
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Dave View Post
It's the name of my Dog....
Nice
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #19544
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer
 
GS Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: in the land of entrapment
Oddometer: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Nice
back when I got her (11 years ago) I was a pretty good crit racer (cat 2) but I have been kind of out of it the past 5 years or so, but i got talked into doing a 12 hour Mtb race next weekend as a duo.....so been triing to get back into a shape other then round....
__________________
There is nothing I won't ride on your bike

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #19545
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust
 
Flaco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Historic Montrose CO
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

Still riding too, been riding once or twice a week, fixed gear in the local park (Prospect Park), and the roadie on wknds in upper NJ/NYstate.
Cool. Glad to hear you're still riding.

I'm finally picking up my new ATB this weekend. Having a new bike is going to be quite motivating...or at least that's the idea.

My business is winding down with the end of ski season so I'll have a ton more time to ride. I'll continue to post up race(ish) reports. I'm not sure what I did night before last is racing as much as riding around in a circle and watching a race.
__________________
VIVA LOS MTNADS
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015