Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
I haven't heard of fitting 250 carbs.
What model/size will work?
I test fit them on my '84 TT600. They bolt right up but you'd have to mod the tank to get the throttle assembly to work, which I didn't want to do.

And a couple pics of the bike.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
dnnyrckts
n00b

Oddometer: 8
12 volt conversion

I upgraded to 12 volts on my '83 a few years back. The stator went bad and I had it re-wound. Since there were several poles on the original stator that hadn't been wound I asked that they wind the extra poles as lighting. Changed the regulator and bulbs to 12 volt and I was in business. Bright headlight that doesn't flicker when idling. I did notice a very slight effect on throttle response, but eventually got used to it.
dnnyrckts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Wow, We're SOMEBODY! I have an '84 TT600 that I purchased a year ago. It IS street legal in Colorado. A couple of weeks ago I fitted a 1990 Honda XR600 front end to her. Kept the TT triple clamps and swapped everything else. I had to shim the axle to make it 1/4" wider. Other than that, a direct swap. I haven't a single picture to share, but I'll work on that. Welcome HOME everybody, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #19
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Fantuzzi....
This is the bike I want
Are you coming to America any time soon
Hello Doctor,
the Belgarda TT's are designed and built in Italy and officially sold in Europe and (I think) Australia. Especially the last ones were sold from 98 to 2005. It is basically a better XR600R, but it simply came too late to market to be a major success.
The consequence now is, that you can buy them cheap as dirt with extremely low milage here.
I will take one with me on my next trip to North America.
Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Modifications

So, what modifications has everyone done to get their TT up to snuff?
I thought we could compile all the mods onto a single post and keep it near the front of the thread so new folks could see what is possible.

I.e. I used a 1996 KX 500 on my '84. I had to press the steering stems out of the triples and use the TT stem with the KX tree.
There is a slight (<10mm) difference in the placement of the forks in the tree, but I can notice any flex or steering probs
I used a 94 or 95 brake and wheel set up from a KX250...fit perfect. May be narrower than the KX500 or the TT600 but it bites good in the dirt and I can actually stop in the wet stuff now and the springs don't bottom as easily - I'm a pretty big boy.
In total I paid about 200 - 250USD for part and bearings. EBay is usually the place to go.

What other front ends have people put on to stop this big girl or get better spring rates?

And for the Belgarda Crowd...How is the suspension on the newer TT600. Did Yamaha do good?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Stator Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnyrckts View Post
I upgraded to 12 volts on my '83 a few years back. The stator went bad and I had it re-wound. Since there were several poles on the original stator that hadn't been wound I asked that they wind the extra poles as lighting. Changed the regulator and bulbs to 12 volt and I was in business. Bright headlight that doesn't flicker when idling. I did notice a very slight effect on throttle response, but eventually got used to it.
This is a weakness of th early model TT600 and I thing we could come up with a cheap easy soultion. You seam to have stumbeld on a possible solution.
However,in my case, my stator only has six(?) poles and three are used for the ignition.Is this the setup yours had. I wanted to get mine rewound for lighting but wasn't sure if only three poles would work.
If I remember correctly, you get volts from number windings and amps from number of poles...maybe
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep on writing TT600 threads.
As an old XR guy I'm looking jealously on the big BRP threads.

We already have 2 pages. Let's go for 500 more.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #23
erdsh
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 104
Yamaha TT600

The TT Belgarda is a very strong and reliable bike.
the engine and frame lasts forever.
The XR is a little lighter in feeling, but the TT is more comfortable.
there used to be a saying "XT never die", the TT does not fail.
There are plenty of parts since its the XT engine.
This bike uses parts from all the big manufacturers such as brembo and bosch.
Following are some sites regarding the TT
http://www.tt600s.de/
http://ljthomp.tripod.com/print.htm

http://www.bikelinks.com/directory/Makes/Yamaha/

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/Manua...TZ660%20Tenere
TT600R
KTM300EXC
CR125
YZ125
and many other...
erdsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 445
I own a 85 TT600N with a Minnesota title and plated for street use.

The original owner purchase the Yamaha and a Honda XR600R new for him and his brother. The brothers trailered bikes from MN to CO for trail riding, he told me that they made two trips and only rode the bike for 2-3 days of trail riding on each trip. Judging from the wear on the side of the frame at the pegs I believe him. I believe that the tires where original factory

The only changes I have made from stock are: I drilled two holes in the rear fender to attach the license plate. Installed a set of bark buster hand guards Converted the rear tail light to a LED board type light. Replace the none DOT rated tires, with tires rated for street use. I added a RAM mount and an old GPS to use as a speedometer.

The bike can either be very easy to start or a bear, depending on how many are watching me trying to start the beast. The more watching the more kicks it takes. I started it last night, turned on the fuel pull out the choke and a couple of prime kicks, rolled it over until I heard the compression release click and returned the kick lever to the top, a firm kick and it start up on the first kick after sitting for a couple of months.

The Yamaha is a good trail bike, light on single tracks and fast on dirt roads, easily keeps up with my brothers KTM 450 and him being a better rider then me.
The Yamaha climbs hills with ease, start out in too high of gear and it chugs up like a John Deere A, in the correct gear it climbs like a scared cat going up a tree.

I have own the Yamaha for about 4 years and I have done more damage to the bike then in its first 22 years of the bikes life. Last fall I crashed it on a rock covered hill scrapping the right side panel and denting the muffler. I have worn the paint off the frame at the pegs and the decals off the tank.

I do think of selling this bike and purchasing a DRZ400, the Yamaha TT600N is too much bike for a guy who is almost 60. It is a young mans ride.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #25
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And for the Belgarda Crowd...How is the suspension on the newer TT600. Did Yamaha do good?
For any reason, Yamaha decided to put cheaper suspension stuff into the E- models of both Belgarda generations. I can speak for 2nd generation kicker with a 46mm Paioli fork and Öhlins shock and I'm very happy with the suspension setup on both sides for street and trail use.
Compared to my former 600 and 400 XR, the suspension feels superior, especially under off road stress.

I don't know if it it conventional wisdom, but a few experts here say that Belgarda used off spec Öhlins shocks for the TTs with higher tolerances and wider quality variation. I can not confirm from my Öhlins.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
I haven't heard of fitting 250 carbs.
What model/size will work?
i'm not sure what they were called over there. over here we have ZZ-R and GPX 250s. mine came from a '95 i think. they are 30mm. up from the 26mm stockers. being keihin carbs, all the tuning stuff is available. they were a definite performance and economy improvement for me.

i still need some bigger idle jets and had to drill the mains a bit. on a stock TT600 the jetting would probably be very close.

my bike has a 19L Acerbis tank on it. it has a bit more room around the carbs than the stocker. it still required some reshaping with a hot air gun. i reckon you could do the same to the stock tank. just go steady and don't get it too hot.

and suspension wise, i used a complete front end from a WR426. it uses the same lower bearing. the stem is about 30mm longer. and uses a different top bearing. i got an adaptor machined to knock into the frame and take the wr's bearing. i also had to add 8mm per side to the steering stops. this worked well for me as it raised the handle bars. ( i'm 6'2" )

one other bonus with the WR stuff is it came with a speedo drive. the WR cable works with my speedo and is surprisingly accurate. i was surprised when the stock fork springs ended up being pretty good for me. the brakes are heaps better too.

wiggywildwildwest screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 06:36 PM Reason: forgot stuff.
wiggywildwildwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #27
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Shocking!

[/QUOTE]

Nice set up Brucifer.

What is that blue beauty I see hiding behind the air box with an adjustable spring as well. Do tell please, Brand, Specs Cost, is it still available...

PS there is a complete engine - and most of the rest of the bike- on EBay now... A little pricey but it looks pristine
Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #28
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:

Nice set up Brucifer.

What is that blue beauty I see hiding behind the air box with an adjustable spring as well. Do tell please, Brand, Specs Cost, is it still available...

PS there is a complete engine - and most of the rest of the bike- on EBay now... A little pricey but it looks pristine[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. It's a Works Performance shock. Besides the spring preload the only other adjustment is compression I believe, or maybe rebound, I don't remember now, the ol' memory starting to fail.
It's set up for a 200 lb rider for motocross. It's a huge difference over the under sprung stocker.
This one was on ebay directly from Works. At $500.00 it wasn't a cheap upgrade but it was worth it. They are discontinued.

The other mods to this bike are a 621cc JE piston, Web motocross grind camshaft with matching valve springs, ported head by Baisley Performance and the Cobra slip-on.
Unfortunately as I was buttoning up this installation, I noticed the main bearings had some play. So, it will have to be torn back down all the way and new mains installed.... I have really been dragging my feet on this.

Also have an '86 YZ490 (disc brake) front end assembly ready to go on. Only mod needed was to press out the YZ stem from the lower triple and press in a TT stem.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #29
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Nice set up Brucifer.

PS there is a complete engine - and most of the rest of the bike- on EBay now... A little pricey but it looks pristine
I was wondering if anyone would notice that. It's a Works Performance shock. Besides the spring preload the only other adjustment is compression I believe, or maybe rebound, I don't remember now, the ol' memory starting to fail.
It's set up for a 200 lb rider for motocross. It's a huge difference over the under sprung stocker.
This one was on ebay directly from Works. At $500.00 it wasn't a cheap upgrade but it was worth it. They are discontinued.

The other mods to this bike are a 621cc JE piston, Web motocross grind camshaft with matching valve springs, ported head by Baisley Performance and the Cobra slip-on.
Unfortunately as I was buttoning up this installation, I noticed the main bearings had some play. So, it will have to be torn back down all the way and new mains installed.... I have really been dragging my feet on this.

Also have an '86 YZ490 (disc brake) front end assembly ready to go on. Only mod needed was to press out the YZ stem from the lower triple and press in a TT stem.[/QUOTE]
Both are 43 mm? So you can just side them right in the clamps?? ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #30
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdsh View Post

In this bike I did some modifications:
I bought a '95 TTE with electric starter, I bought a TTS with kick starter and combined them both.
this bike had the TTS frame and rebuild forks and shock, rebuild engine with Yamaha competition full system. the engine was combination of both which had electric startrer and kick starter with the modification to start the bike without the battery.
I did almost 100K Km with this bike over the 3 years I owned it. it was my everyday commuter and my traveling bike. The guy who bought the bike from me, is using the bike a lot and we ride together sometimes.
If you have any questions which I can help, please, feel free. I'll do my best to assist you in any way.

These pictures for a trip I did a couple of years ago.
Nice bike! Which differences between TTS and TTE frames and engines (apart from kick-electric starter of course)? Different suspensions too?

This is a very special TT600 a friend of mine (Claudio Zago) built with original BYRD pieces and other especially made

He brought it straight to Dakar on the Heroes Legend 2010!
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote