Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #46
Wistrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
so I bought a Zumo 550 to use with the G4, question since the GPS has the highest priority with the G4 does that mean if I use the Zumo's built in XM I won't be able to use the intercom??? wanna know before I spend money on XM antenna

thanks

Dan
Wistrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #47
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
so I bought a Zumo 550 to use with the G4, question since the GPS has the highest priority with the G4 does that mean if I use the Zumo's built in XM I won't be able to use the intercom??? wanna know before I spend money on XM antenna

thanks

Dan
Well, first off, the Zumo's XM music isn't broadcast over BT, so you don't have to worry about it always taking precedence over your intercom. You can only hear it from the audio port on the side of the mount. My Dad has the Zumo 550 and the G4 so I am familiar with them since I set them up for him. The Zumo 550 definitely missed the boat with BT since it doesn't support sending the XM music over A2DP, However, there are ways to get around this. .

When you connect the G4 and the Zumo 550, you are connecting on a "mono" headset connection. Basically, the GPS voice commands and if you sync your cell to the GPS will come over this connection. You can force it to play stored MP3's on the Zumo over this BT connection, but the music quality lacks over this type of connection. The best option he found was either using a cord from the audio out of the Zumo to the input on the G4 or just buy a small BT transmitter that you plug into the audio output of the Zumo cradle and basically transmits your music and GPS instructions over A2DP. You can then sync this BT transmitter with the G4 and have your music wirelessly over BT.

Even before the 3.0 update, we could get my Dad's G4 to accept both the Zumo's 550's mono connection for phone calls and then a A2DP music from the XM, but when a call came in, it would break the music connection and would never resume until you restarted either the BT device or G4. This was very frustrating and a major PITA. I haven't had a chance to see with this new 3.0 update if both should work together better, but that was my understanding also.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-28-2011 at 04:42 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #48
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Even before the 3.0 update, we could get my Dad's G4 to accept both the Zumo's 550's mono connection for phone calls and then a A2DP music from the XM, but when a call came in, it would break the music connection and would never resume until you restarted either the BT device or G4. This was very frustrating and a major PITA. I haven't had a chance to see with this new 3.0 update if both should work together better, but that was my understanding also.
I get this behavior with the G4 when it is connected to my BlackBerry 9000 and iPod Touch and I have ver. 3.0. Music plays fine from the iPod until I receive a call. After that I have to restart the music.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #49
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I can't help other than say it is definitely supposed to connect to two compatible devices:
Your G4 is designed to receive wireless stereo music from A2DP sources and mobile phones that support the Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP profiles (mostly 3rd generation devices).
The G4 connects to my Blackberry Tour, for phone calls and A2DP music from the MP3 (stereo). When a call comes in, it overrides the music. Most of the time the music returns after the call is complete. The intercom to another G4 works the same way. The Bluetooth connection is from only one device (the phone with integral MP3) other than the connection to another G4.

Getting the G4 volume correct can be a chore, as the MP3 volume can be set from the phone but the phone call volume requires the noise canceling to sense ambient noise for the sensitivity. Sync the phone first, after the engine is running to get the G4 volume set for phone use, and then start the MP3 and adjust the MP3 player volume from the phone volume control (otherwise the volume will not match when switching between the two).
340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #50
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar View Post
I get this behavior with the G4 when it is connected to my BlackBerry 9000 and iPod Touch and I have ver. 3.0. Music plays fine from the iPod until I receive a call. After that I have to restart the music.
Web bike world did another review on the 3.0 Update. It sounds like they had some issues with certain music players and phones too doing the same thing. They gave one combination that worked good. I would imagine this might be an area we seem some bug fixes to make it work better.

- Web Bike World Scala G4 3.0 update
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #51
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
VOX with 3.0 upgrade

To anyone that has done the upgrade, how does the VOX now work? I happen to like the VOX of my autocom and I don't want to lose that level of functionality if I go BT. Thanks
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #52
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Speak Italian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Kinda silly, but whats stopping you from pairing more than 3 motorcycles. When you pair 3, one has to be the center for both A and B cycles, so what if B is also a center for 2 communication links. Wouldn that work and make sense?

so basically you would have:
A communicating with C
C communicating with A and B
B communicating with C and D
D communicating with E etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LdNbfvmxlY
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #53
Wistrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Vox sensitivity

As far as the Vox sensitivity I confused....I have it on meduim and its not working...if I want to set it to activate easier do I set i on high or low???

thanks

Dan
Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #54
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Is there anyone out there that has done the C3 Scala? Before I spend $400 it would be nice to get some feedback. THKS
2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore(sold)Replaced with 2002 Foggy Monster
Eastview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #55
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastview View Post
Is there anyone out there that has done the C3 Scala? Before I spend $400 it would be nice to get some feedback. THKS
I am not sure I know what a c3 scala is. They have a G4 and a Q2 as far as I know.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #56
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
To anyone that has done the upgrade, how does the VOX now work? I happen to like the VOX of my autocom and I don't want to lose that level of functionality if I go BT. Thanks
I did the 3.0 update, then did a 5day trip to bigbend, where the 3.0 scala g4 got a hell of a workout.

gear i have.

iphone 4
Scala g4 (Earbud moded)
zumo 550.

If i did the iPhone > Zumo > Scala. i could not listen to my MP3's in the iphone.

I tried the Iphone > scala | zumo > scala. And i was never happy with this setup, I want to think it is the fact that the iphone is not connecting as a pure MP3 player and it si also connecting as a phone device too. I have a ipod bluetooth adapter, that i think might make this combination work, but i need to test it.

I finaly dropped the zumo altogether, and was the most happy with just iphone > scala.

With just iphone>scala, MP3 palyback and phone control worked %95 og the time. there were a few times where, i lost all phone control, and a simple onn/off of the scala would fix everything.

Intercom and vox (vox set to low) worked even better than the older q2's i once had. But I did seem to have about a 10 second delay making a intercom connection when playing music.

we even added an older q2 into the mix and had a conference intercom session with all 3 riders.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #57
JumpinJack
Itchntogo

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
As far as the Vox sensitivity I confused....I have it on meduim and its not working...if I want to set it to activate easier do I set i on high or low???

thanks

Dan
High makes VOX more sensitive, will activate easier
JumpinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #58
Wistrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
High makes VOX more sensitive, will activate easier

thanks for that info.....

Dan
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #59
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
I have the 3.0 upgrade using it with iPhone 3G (olllld skool iPhone). My VOX works very well. People can't tell I'm on a motorcycle at 75mph, and I don't have to speak unusually loud (I am a loud talker anyway) to activate it, and there is no background noise.

I have not failed to be heard well, and I have not had one instance of anything but my voice triggering the VOX. No wind noise, etc.

I don't recall the setting, middle-ish if I remember.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #60
afulldeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I don't have the G4 yet, but I am wondering how hard is it to hear music with the wind noise through a full face helmet. Do you need to have the volume up fully. Will it be hard on the ears? I have tried ear buds in the past, but at highway speeds the wind noise overtakes the volume. Typically, I just have sponge ear plugs to deaden the wind noise.
afulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote