ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #76
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post
Spud... you the man! I was just yesterday looking at my (potential) setup and thinking, "thats a really bad place for an exposed fuse block". But, not having any better ideas, i figured I would find something later. Thank you for doing it for me
You're welcome, Guinness. I live to serve.

P.S. I like your signature. I know about John Galt. I wish I could find him, but he has disappeared for good.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #77
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
I have now ridden 1,600 miles since I completed my Shorai battery relocation. Today I decided to reinstall the oil separator on my bike.



To facilitate re-installation of the oil separator, I removed my Shorai battery, and inspected all the bike’s electrical components. The Shorai battery was in excellent condition, as was the velcro that attaches it to the top of the air box.

Since the initial Shorai installation, I have also added a Uni air filter to my bike.



Here are the final photographs I took before I installed the seat, and went for a nice ride.







Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 AM   #78
Cumbacheech
XRated
 
Cumbacheech's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Bolton, ON
Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Since the initial Shorai installation, I have also added a Uni air filter to my bike.



Spud
Spud,

Did you oil your Uni Filter? looks a little dry....
__________________
2001 XR650L - Done for now...!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #79
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Spud,

Did you oil your Uni Filter? looks a little dry....
Yes, I oiled the Uni air filter with untinted, bar and chain oil from Wal-Mart. The bar and chain oil works pretty well, but I have since purchased the blue, Bel-Ray, foam filter oil.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #80
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain
 
KyoXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Yes, I oiled the Uni air filter with untinted, bar and chain oil from Wal-Mart. The bar and chain oil works pretty well, but I have since purchased the blue, Bel-Ray, foam filter oil.

Spud
I was just at Walmart today looking for bar and chain oil and didn't find any...I need to look harder or they don't carry it at this store, but not to use on my air filter, I actually have Uni-filter oil for that.
__________________
2007 XR650L,
Looking to acquire a stock XRL choke plunger.
The multi-quote function is your friend.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #81
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer
 
michael.brat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 504
Spud, curious why you decided to reinstall the charcoal canister?

Mike
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #82
guinnessextreme
Adventurer
 
guinnessextreme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Oddometer: 58
Apparently, there is a run on fuse box covers!

"Thank you again for your purchase from BikeBandit.com. Due to high demand, the manufacturer has marked the item(s) listed below in your order XXXXXX backordered. "


COVER, FUSE BOX

1

$8.32

Back Order
__________________
Who is John Galt?
guinnessextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #83
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Spud, curious why you decided to reinstall the charcoal canister?

Mike
I was originally fooled by mistaken reports the oil separator was a "charcoal canister." Also, I believed the "charcoal canister" would make it far more difficult to work on my bike's carburetor. However, after reading posts by Steve, mcmc111, and Brian, techforlife, I realized the importance of the oil separator; therefore, I repented, and reinstalled the unit.

I now believe the Honda engineers had very good reasons to design, and install the oil separator; I also believe my engine will run better with it installed. In addition, I believe the carburetor can suck oil into the engine when the bike is running for extended periods at high speeds without the oil separator present.

I now realize if you loosen three spring clamps, the oil separator is quickly removed from the bike, permitting easy access to the carburetor. Therefore, I can't see any good reasons to run my bike without the oil separator.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #84
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post
Apparently, there is a run on fuse box covers!

"Thank you again for your purchase from BikeBandit.com. Due to high demand, the manufacturer has marked the item(s) listed below in your order XXXXXX backordered. "...
I knew I should have bought stock in those fuse box covers!

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #85
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer
 
michael.brat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I was originally fooled by mistaken reports the oil separator was a "charcoal canister." Also, I believed the "charcoal canister" would make it far more difficult to work on my bike's carburetor. However, after reading posts by Steve, mcmc111, and Brian, techforlife, I realized the importance of the oil separator; therefore, I repented, and reinstalled the unit.

I now believe the Honda engineers had very good reasons to design, and install the oil separator; I also believe my engine will run better with it installed. In addition, I believe the carburetor can suck oil into the engine when the bike is running for extended periods at high speeds without the oil separator present.

I now realize if you loosen three spring clamps, the oil separator is quickly removed from the bike, permitting easy access to the carburetor. Therefore, I can't see any good reasons to run my bike without the oil separator.

Spud
Humm, thanks for the feedback; I'll consider that when removing the smog components! Now that you mention the charcoal canister mistake; I believe it is only on Cali models and is located on the front of the bike above the skid plate. I have one on my XR.

Mike

michael.brat screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 09:38 PM
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #86
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Humm, thanks for the feedback; I'll consider that when removing the smog components! Now that you mention the charcoal canister mistake; I believe it is only on Cali models and is located on the front of the bike above the skid plate. I have one on my XR.

Mike
I'm pretty sure you are correct regarding the charcoal canister, Mike.

Incidentally, I rode my XR650L for over 3,000 miles with the oil separator removed, and I certainly didn't harm my motorcycle. Many others have removed the oil separators from their bikes, and ridden many miles without problems. However, I personally feel better now that I have returned my bike to the original design configured by the Honda engineers.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #87
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,682
Well, the batteries are now going to be available more like end-of-may. That is going to seriously crimp my riding, my batt is good for about 10 seconds of crank-time.



I ordered mine march 30, they were supposed to be out by the end of april.

I knew trusting their delivery date would make me feel like a putz...




Dave
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #88
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Well, the batteries are now going to be available more like end-of-may. That is going to seriously crimp my riding, my batt is good for about 10 seconds of crank-time.



I ordered mine march 30, they were supposed to be out by the end of april.

I knew trusting their delivery date would make me feel like a putz...




Dave
I'm sorry to hear about the delay, Dave. I would certainly loan you my old battery, but you are a continent away from me; I hope someone closer quickly responds to your request.

I am very glad I ordered my Shorai battery when I did; it is still performing very well for me. My battery relocation is also working very well; I have not encountered any problems with it. I can still recommend my Shorai battery relocation without reservations.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #89
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,682
I groused on shorai's website about the delayed delivery and received a response from their operations manager within two hours. That's pretty good in my book.

Mid-may.

Dave
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #90
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I groused on shorai's website about the delayed delivery and received a response from their operations manager within two hours. That's pretty good in my book.

Mid-may.

Dave
Indeed, that's good customer service.

The battery terminals are a bit flimsy on my Shorai battery. However, the next batch of Shorai batteries is supposed to correct this problem. I really don't have any complaints concerning my first-generation, Shorai battery; it is performing very well for me. In addition, I appreciate the 2-year warranty than comes with the Shorai battery. I am very pleased with my purchase, and I'm confident the next batch of Shorai batteries will be even better than the first batch.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014