Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #751
Swillmongrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
This was a long time ago (early '90s) but the mid '70s Yamaha TX500 my buddy is standing next to was purchased at a garage sale for $35. My '82 GPZ550 was pretty high buck, I paid $800 for it. We rode them from Minneapolis to Washington D.C. and back. I have tons more to post when I can find the pictures. Out of 15 or so bikes, I've only paid more than $1000 maybe three times, the most paid being $3000.

1963 Ducati 250 Scrambler 4 speed project
Swillmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #752
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 792
Wicked Finnaly get to join this club, K75 $1,200

After lurking in this thread I finally get to join! I picked this little one up for $1,200!

IMG_0005.JPG

A 1986 K75S in drive home condition. At this time the bike on the way back to running order after having repaired the body damage and giving it a good going over.

IMG_0002.JPG
. .

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #753
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
old lookin bike that still looks good!
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #754
Big Red One
If yer gonna be one...

Oddometer: 225
I'll play...

I need to get some better pictures, but here's my $1000 1984 VF700, the most expensive bike I've ever bought:

and my $900 XR600R:

I don't have pictures of my pristine $600 Kawasaki KZ550LTD or the $250 CSR250 I got from a buddy.

Fortunately, I don't really need to.
Big Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #755
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Opinions wanted

Am I insane? I have a fondness for weird things. I didn't know where else to ask this, but I saw this ad for a crazy bike this morning. It's a semi-cafe racer bike that is really odd, but it's picking away at my senses and I'm thinking of offering the guy $400. If I got it, I probably would just get one of those DS all-in-one digital cluster unit things, fix the oil leak and the rough idle (maybe just a bad tune with the "rebuilt carbs" and "ported intake"), sort out the swingarm/rear brake thing later.
I have a 1992 Yamaha FZR 600 with a 1998 FZR 600 motor and wiring harness. Small oil leak, idles ruff, no upper fairing or cluster, toggle switch ignition, no rear seat , back rim is off a 2000 suzuki katana 600 to make it easier to buy tires, rear brake removed, extended 6", flipped clip ons, lowered 2.5" in front, ported intake, carbs just rebuilt. lost title so sold with bill of sale, asking $550 or best offer. Just got laid off, first reasonable offer takes it. well over 2 grand invested. text or call [omitted] for questions.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #756
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
After lurking in this thread I finally get to join! I picked this little one up for $1,200!

A 1986 K75S in drive home condition. At this time the bike on the way back to running order after having repaired the body damage and giving it a good going over.

. .

Man, I wish I had this kind of luck when I was looking for a K75 before I got my SECA II. Beautiful!
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #757
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Am I insane? I have a fondness for weird things. I didn't know where else to ask this, but I saw this ad for a crazy bike this morning. It's a semi-cafe racer bike that is really odd, but it's picking away at my senses and I'm thinking of offering the guy $400. If I got it, I probably would just get one of those DS all-in-one digital cluster unit things, fix the oil leak and the rough idle (maybe just a bad tune with the "rebuilt carbs" and "ported intake"), sort out the swingarm/rear brake thing later.
I have a 1992 Yamaha FZR 600 with a 1998 FZR 600 motor and wiring harness. Small oil leak, idles ruff, no upper fairing or cluster, toggle switch ignition, no rear seat , back rim is off a 2000 suzuki katana 600 to make it easier to buy tires, rear brake removed, extended 6", flipped clip ons, lowered 2.5" in front, ported intake, carbs just rebuilt. lost title so sold with bill of sale, asking $550 or best offer. Just got laid off, first reasonable offer takes it. well over 2 grand invested. text or call [omitted] for questions.
That thing just REEKS of stolen to me. No title, Missing easily sold parts, toggle switch igntion, etc.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #758
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
That thing just REEKS of stolen to me. No title, Missing easily sold parts, toggle switch igntion, etc.
+1 Definitely run the VIN.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #759
Blackshirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I bought this '81 Honda CB750F for $550 in 1990. It had under 5K on the odometer and was running well. It cost me another thousand bucks to get it the way I wanted it, but I rode it for 10 years with hardly a problem.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #760
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Just brought home today....$250.00....1982 Yamaha 750 SECA

Front brake problem (cable operated front master cylinder), carbs will need to be cleaned/rebuilt for sure (standard procedure isn't it?), sticking clutch plates, and who knows what else.

The longer I look at it, the more I like it, Veg-O-Matic wheels and all!

Lynn
Attached Images

lake_harley screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 06:12 PM
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #761
nedodjija OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
I got this today for $1000 and my AK47 plus 500 rounds. The total is $1600, which is $100 more than the limit, but since I am the creator of the thread, here she is:
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #762
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,059
DAMN good $1600 investment there!!!!
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #763
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Wow, that's crazy good.

I bought this 1982 Yamaha Vision in 1987 for $1350.00. Went to Canadian Tire and got side bags and a helmet, leathers (of a kind) at Sears, bungeed my old backpack to the gas tank, wrapped my camping gear in a feed sack and a garbage bag and spent 5 months crossing Canada with it.

Rode it every summer after that until it blew up in 2004, then sold the parts for $1000.00 on ebay.
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #764
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Huh, just realized I actually qualify for this thread.

My first bike (1985 Kawasaki ZN700) was ~$1k, and aside from gas/oil/plugs/plug wires, I have put on one front, one rear tire, fork seals, front brakes, one set of front wheel bearings, a couple bulbs, used coils, oil pressure sender, and more than it's fair share of bungies and other assorted tie-downs. I bet that other than gas and oil, I have a total of $1400 in her, parts and purchase price together.

Bike #1: Story time (Feel free to skip the wall of text, down to bike #2, I don't have pictures on this computer, I'll dig them out of my backups and post them up.)

When I first got it, to pass inspection it needed new front brakes, front tire, and new fork seals. All of this got accomplished in one weekend where I had a buddy drop me off in the general vicinity of the city my parent's live near with two backpacks, one full of assorted tools I would need. Got quite a few looks while I hung out at whatever fast food joint, as you don't normally see someone dressed in greasy clothes, carrying tools from a breaker bar to spray cans, etc.

My dad picked me up after work, and I set to work doing the things listed above. (bear in mind I'd never really done much mechanical work before, ever) I passed inspection Monday morning, and by lunch, was on the road to school, about 200 miles away, only partly certain the bike was going to make it. I'm talking, my computer backpack was bungied to my tank, my tools and assorted other things (including a desk lamp ) were in a plastic milk crate bungied to the rear seat, I was wearing more than one pair of jeans, and had never gone farther than probably 50 miles in one day, much less left from one location to go to a different place. Not a good recipe for smooth sailing, but a good recipe for fun!

I made it probably 125 miles or so out of the 200 miles, including the arrival of rain, and a 0 mph drop in a Walmart parking lot when I put my left foot down, but tipped right. This was the trip where I discovered my bike didn't like to run for a long time in the rain, and after an executive decision that being on a bike that was loosing power was not a good thing on a limited-access 65 mph highway with lots of trucks. So I pulled off, found a small town (no light town) post office, and found out where the nearest gas station was. I reasoned that if it wasn't a gas problem, the gas station would at least be dry, have food, and be relatively easy to have someone find me.

Never actually made it to the gas station, and stopped for the last time in a muddy driveway. I'm still certain the bike will start up again like it had the rest of the day, which I inform the very nice man who stopped in his pickup. He was the fellow from the post office, and offered me some help. I stupidly assured him that I could get the engine to fire up again, and off he drove. The couple who's driveway I stopped in got home, and asked if I needed help, the gentleman had a few tools in his shed, however anything I knew how to do I was attempting to do with the tools I had on me, more wouldn't help out. I gave up after about a half hour, and brought my computer backback and my soggy self to their front door to ask if I could get in out of the rain and call in some backup. I got ahold of one friend also going to school that night (we had class the next morning), and he started calling around to see who was going to be in the general area, and was willing to help out a bozo for the return of gas money and permanent dirt on the bozo.

As I discover nobody with a pickup is going to be travelling the general vicinity, I am about to ask the nice couple if they wouldn't mind me rolling the dead bike behind their shed until I could fetch it the next weekend, in addition to the very generous serving of pasta, and the drying of my outer layers. As I am warming up and stuffing my face, there is a knock on the door, and there stands a guy in his hunting rain gear, the very same fellow who worked at the post office, had been reassured by me that I would be fine, and after all that, gotten a ramp, and come back to see if I really was okay in the rainy night. I found out that a friend that lived a few miles away had no problem with me stashing my bike behind his parent't garage (his parent's didn't mind either, apparently) until I could get back to it.

So we load up the pickup, drop me off at my buddies', wait for buddy #2 to come by and pick me up on his way through, and make it to school a bit before midnight. Buddy #2 was also willing to drive me back to the bike the next weekend, wait around for me to dick around doing things like dismantling the bike (practically) to use starting fluid, jump the bike, and follow me back to school. It was a year or so until I had similar problems and eventually made it go away by replacing the coils, plug wires, and for good measure, the plugs.

Bike #2: Intro

The other bike is one I haven't done much to, my '79 Suzuki GS850G. Picked it up for $850 with a bunch of extras including extra seat pan with foam, tank, Clymer manual, spare nuts-n-bolts-n-such. has a brand-new front tire, going to go through the valves, change fluids, paint the spare tank for practice and fun (permanent work-in-progress, first going to try painting it with that whiteboard paint.). Gotta do stupid little things, like clean carbs, check valve clearance, bleed brakes, adjust/replace control cables, etc. Then hopefully she will replace my Kawi.

How many people would look to replace an '85 with electronic ignition with a '79 with points and a kick-start? (She does have electric start as well.)

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #765
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija View Post
I got this today for $1000 and my AK47 plus 500 rounds. The total is $1600, which is $100 more than the limit, but since I am the creator of the thread, here she is:
i gots to find me one of these. favorite of all the Buells. don't really care for the clear plastics though.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote