Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #736
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Did Bike or Ride or even MCN ever hit you guys up for a story? That just seems like a no-brainer.
Hi Johny Dakar..."nope"! None of them have We've tried countless times via email, press release, etc to get any kind of reaction from any of the UK mags but to no avail. We just can't get their attention. It's not that they're not interested, it's just The barriers are well and truly up, like I said before, it's not personal, it's just that all the mag's get swamped with unsolicited articles etc, and so for them to see the wood for the trees is almost impossible. Unless we can get in front of someone (which is tough as we're still on the road) it's proving hard.

The success we have had with both magazines (RoadRUNNER in the US and Men's Health in South Africa etc) and gear sponsors has all come about after a lucky/chance meeting with a decision maker/editor. We caught their attention and things have progressed from there.

...so like I posted above if anyone has any contacts with the publishing world and can manage to cast a little spotlight in our direction we'd appreciate it. Like with most things in life it's always 'who you know, not what you know....sad but true.

Simon
Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #737
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
send them this thread...any and all magazines....how about BMW? What about getting Touratech to help? This is too good not to write up and even make a DVD
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #738
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgart View Post
I've been following your exploits and adventures for quite a while now through this forum and various magazine article. I even wrote to Road Runner Magazine to request more of your story.

Let met just say that I admire you both for the life you have chosen and thank you for sharing it with those of us who lack (the courage in my case) or wherewithal to chuck it all and go for your dream. Also, I am a very amateur photographer and your photos are inspirational. Keep it coming! I wish you both the very best, and thank you.
Hi macgart, wow, what nice words, thank you for taking the time to post and let us know, that's a nice way for us to start our day. Glad to have you along for the ride

We're busy sorting through the Nepal images at the moment as well as talking with RoadRUNNER to see if they're interested in any more stories, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

All the best
Simon
Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #739
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
send them this thread...any and all magazines....how about BMW? What about getting Touratech to help? This is too good not to write up and even make a DVD
Hi Soph9...

the problem is even if we send publishers this thread, there's little chance, they'll open the email and even less chance they'll click the link and take the time to read through this thread. Yeah, I know that sounds a little pessimistic, but sadly that's the reality! We've been metaphorically knocking on the doors of publishers for many years now with little or no response. Like I said, everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and so publishing houses, TV producers etc are literally swamped with proposals and so seeing the wood for the trees becomes impossible.

BMW are a strange one, BMW UK, Europe, Germany etc are impossible to get in touch with and we've pretty much given up asking for any kind of support; primarily because like publishers they're inundated with letters and emails from hopefuls all asking for 'free kit'!!! We've just not found a chink in the armor where could seize an opportunity to argue how we'd justify their support. Now, if we could get in front of a BMW Motorrad decision maker then that would probably be different, but trying to make an argument for their support from a distance has proven fruitless for 9-years now. We've gone so far as just offering BMW Europe etc free content, story's and images, just because we're passionate about wanting to share what and where our wonderful BMW bikes have taken us and allowed us to experience, but we've never even had a 'response'. It's not personal!

Remember in the UK, Germany and Europe for that matter, BMW have Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, that's a pretty big obstacle for us to have to get around to be able to argue our case for their support. Besides, much as we'd love their support, they didn't ask us to make this journey and no one owes us anything. There's no reason why our journey is more worthy of support than say, 'yours' or anyone else's for that matter.

We never intended our journey to become the way of life it now has. It's only been in the last 4 years that we've had to come to terms with the fact that if we hope to continue to travel, to explore and to live this life then we'll have to try to raise funds and or support by commercializing small parts of our journey. And to that end we're still hopeful that we can get the interest of a publisher/magazine editor/documentary producer etc. Who knows. In the mean we'll enjoy as many miles as we can and take nothing for granted, life's too short

Touratech have been incredibly helpful and are easily are biggest supporters to date. Incredible when you realize that they've not asked us to sign any kind of agreement etc. Not asked us 'only' say nice things about their gear. That's pretty cool and I think rare in today's cut throat market.

We'd love to put together a DVD, we have enough quality footage, but our little laptop doesn't have the power to edit a movie (even putting together a 6 min youtube video is a massive struggle) and neither Lisa or I are editors. We'd need to get together with someone who knows a bit about this kind of thing and work with them to put together something really watchable. At the end of the day it's just Lisa and I, and after the photography, the filming, the diary writing, the website updating, the trip planning, the visa sorting, applying and nonsense along with the article writing, youtube video editing, bike maintenance, GPS sorting, camping, cooking, riding and possibly even sleeping...we just run out of hours in the day!!!!

Simon
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #740
soph9
Bike Addict

BMW PR Contact

Simon....email these guys at BMW

Chris.Duff@bmwgroup.ca

Robert.Dexter@bmwgroup.ca

they are in charge of Corporate Communications and PR

Send them a video, some of your gorgeous pics...this thread...trust me they will have a look..send them an email they will feel they have to open and if they don't respond send them another and another to get their attention.

We got their attention and the answer was NO but they emailed me back with a very nice email and not a stock one at that....try it...you have nothing to lose....Send pics of you and Lisa on your bikes as well as the scenery and people. They love their bikes in pics! Leslie
Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #741
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

thanks for that Soph9, we'll drop them a line, and see what happens, watch this space?!?!?!?

The Nepal sections coming along nicely

Simon
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #742
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon thomas View Post
Hi Soph9...

the problem is even if we send publishers this thread, there's little chance, they'll open the email and even less chance they'll click the link and take the time to read through this thread. Yeah, I know that sounds a little pessimistic, but sadly that's the reality! We've been metaphorically knocking on the doors of publishers for many years now with little or no response. Like I said, everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and so publishing houses, TV producers etc are literally swamped with proposals and so seeing the wood for the trees becomes impossible.

BMW are a strange one, BMW UK, Europe, Germany etc are impossible to get in touch with and we've pretty much given up asking for any kind of support; primarily because like publishers they're inundated with letters and emails from hopefuls all asking for 'free kit'!!! We've just not found a chink in the armor where could seize an opportunity to argue how we'd justify their support. Now, if we could get in front of a BMW Motorrad decision maker then that would probably be different, but trying to make an argument for their support from a distance has proven fruitless for 9-years now. We've gone so far as just offering BMW Europe etc free content, story's and images, just because we're passionate about wanting to share what and where our wonderful BMW bikes have taken us and allowed us to experience, but we've never even had a 'response'. It's not personal!

Remember in the UK, Germany and Europe for that matter, BMW have Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, that's a pretty big obstacle for us to have to get around to be able to argue our case for their support. Besides, much as we'd love their support, they didn't ask us to make this journey and no one owes us anything. There's no reason why our journey is more worthy of support than say, 'yours' or anyone else's for that matter.

We never intended our journey to become the way of life it now has. It's only been in the last 4 years that we've had to come to terms with the fact that if we hope to continue to travel, to explore and to live this life then we'll have to try to raise funds and or support by commercializing small parts of our journey. And to that end we're still hopeful that we can get the interest of a publisher/magazine editor/documentary producer etc. Who knows. In the mean we'll enjoy as many miles as we can and take nothing for granted, life's too short

Touratech have been incredibly helpful and are easily are biggest supporters to date. Incredible when you realize that they've not asked us to sign any kind of agreement etc. Not asked us 'only' say nice things about their gear. That's pretty cool and I think rare in today's cut throat market.

We'd love to put together a DVD, we have enough quality footage, but our little laptop doesn't have the power to edit a movie (even putting together a 6 min youtube video is a massive struggle) and neither Lisa or I are editors. We'd need to get together with someone who knows a bit about this kind of thing and work with them to put together something really watchable. At the end of the day it's just Lisa and I, and after the photography, the filming, the diary writing, the website updating, the trip planning, the visa sorting, applying and nonsense along with the article writing, youtube video editing, bike maintenance, GPS sorting, camping, cooking, riding and possibly even sleeping...we just run out of hours in the day!!!!

Simon
Simon,

Reading this brings back memories of our conversation we had two years ago back in Veracruz Mexico when I followed you professional travelers humbly on my bare bone Husky TE610. Since that conversation, I have explored the reality TV angle. I have talked to producers, I have helped film a project for the History Channel. I have made contacts and it's still impossible. There is no doubt in my mind that your story should be professionally documented. It is very unique and best of all REAL.

For what it's worth, I'd much rather watch you guys ride the world than Ewan and Charlie. You guy have the support of real people, and that is not to be taken lightly. Congrats for achieving that!

I feel fortunate that I was able to meet you guys and spend some time with you. Cheers, Luke
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #743
soph9
Bike Addict

I agree with Fishfund...also, would be great to have an ADV long distance convention so you all could show off your stuff....Hmmmmm.....anyone say Las Vegas? And this could be like a forum for SCOUTS from reality TV and magazines.....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #744
Lartech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Real Inspiration

"Besides, much as we'd love their support, they didn't ask us to make this journey and no one owes us anything. There's no reason why our journey is more worthy of support than say, 'yours' or anyone else's for that matter."

Simon, it is these thoughts that resonate with me... Beside the fact that you two truly are great documentary writers, and outstanding photographers, your story is real and hits right at the heart. The reasons you started your journey, the real trials and tribulations that one would think happens when taking on a journey of this nature, goes beyond Ewan and Charlie.

Thank you, Thank you!!
Lartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #745
hakpoh
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Looking forward to......

My new 2011 Photo Calender. Grandmother and Grandfather goes off the wall. Up goes the new calender!
Cant wait for the snail-mail to deliver......
hakpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #746
Doc Rich
Dance with the Angels

Oddometer: 195
Simon

Have you ever considered contacting Lonely Planet? A mate of mine worked on their website for a few years upgrading it and says they may be interested. You guys have travelled off the beaten track for years and found some gems. And have the gps coordinates too. A thought to raise much needed cash. I may be in a position to get a contact if you are interested.

We just got back from a 4000km round trip down to victoria and alps, great ocean road etc. Some beaut off the beaten track roads.

Cheers
Rich
Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #747
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Hi guys, I'll read through the info you've just posted in a bit, we've got some really bad internet at the moment and it keeps crashing. We've just found out we're the cover story for the June 2011 issue of RoadRUNNER. Mum will be pleased.

I'll try to log on in a bit...
Cheers
Simon
Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #748
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon thomas View Post
Hi Johny Dakar..."nope"! None of them have We've tried countless times via email, press release, etc to get any kind of reaction from any of the UK mags but to no avail. We just can't get their attention. It's not that they're not interested, it's just The barriers are well and truly up, like I said before, it's not personal, it's just that all the mag's get swamped with unsolicited articles etc, and so for them to see the wood for the trees is almost impossible. Unless we can get in front of someone (which is tough as we're still on the road) it's proving hard.

The success we have had with both magazines (RoadRUNNER in the US and Men's Health in South Africa etc) and gear sponsors has all come about after a lucky/chance meeting with a decision maker/editor. We caught their attention and things have progressed from there.

...so like I posted above if anyone has any contacts with the publishing world and can manage to cast a little spotlight in our direction we'd appreciate it. Like with most things in life it's always 'who you know, not what you know....sad but true.

Simon
seems like national geographic would pic it up. have u tried them
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #749
Mr.lien
Behind the line

Oddometer: 65

Hopely someday can ride on desert like this,

im in- indONEsia
Mr.lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #750
simon thomas OP
www.2ridetheworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrider View Post
seems like national geographic would pic it up. have u tried them
Yes, we've tried to make contact a few times. Our last effort resulted in a very blunt, even rude response, which basically read..."if we want this kind of story or content, we have professionals that we'll commission, you are not, don't contact us again. We were both a bit taken aback with the tone We'll try again, maybe we just got someone on a bad hair day?

JohnyDakar, wow, I've just picked up your PM, We're heading off now to ride south but Lisa and I are very keen to follow up your ideas and to see where this could take us. Great ideas and a world of possibilities that could benefit all, I'll PM you later when we have a better connection but thank you so much for the ideas, effort and time to PM us.

Doc Rich, we have contacted LP but it was a while ago, we didn't get a response. If you have the chance to pass us any new contact info it would be massively appreciated. Like i said earlier often a introduction or even a passing reference to someone on the inside can get us further than a 'cold-call email' which goes into the trash. Thanks in advance Doc.

hakpoh...many thanks, much appreciated. Hope you enjoy the calendar!.

Still putting together the Nepal section but it's great to look through the photos again. here's another to wet your appetite...

This was taken from our camp spot and what we woke to most mornings.

The storms we experienced were often beautiful but fierce, this one threw down golf ball sized hail which broke car windows, our tent, luckily was undamaged...the bikes also escaped any harm.

This was the incredible light show we were treated to during our first week in Nepal. I shot this whilst sitting in the front of our tent.

...yep, us getting all loved up...

Right, got to go and hit the road we're heading south today to Chiang Mai, where we'll wait out the craziness of Thai New Year...should be interesting. We'll also get the Nepal RR online here.

Hope you like the piccies, the landscape really was incredible!!!!!

Simon