Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #31
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I was wondering if anyone would notice that. It's a Works Performance shock. Besides the spring preload the only other adjustment is compression I believe, or maybe rebound, I don't remember now, the ol' memory starting to fail.
It's set up for a 200 lb rider for motocross. It's a huge difference over the under sprung stocker.
This one was on ebay directly from Works. At $500.00 it wasn't a cheap upgrade but it was worth it. They are discontinued.

The other mods to this bike are a 621cc JE piston, Web motocross grind camshaft with matching valve springs, ported head by Baisley Performance and the Cobra slip-on.
Unfortunately as I was buttoning up this installation, I noticed the main bearings had some play. So, it will have to be torn back down all the way and new mains installed.... I have really been dragging my feet on this.

Also have an '86 YZ490 (disc brake) front end assembly ready to go on. Only mod needed was to press out the YZ stem from the lower triple and press in a TT stem.
Both are 43 mm? So you can just side them right in the clamps?? ED[/QUOTE]

The YZ triples are narrower so you'd have to come up with different spacers for the wheel. I just went with the whole set-up so I didn't have to monkey with it.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
This is a very special TT600 a friend of mine (Claudio Zago) built with original BYRD pieces and other especially made

Very nice bike!
Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
I sold my 1986 TT600 and XT600 at the same time to the same guy. I sure do miss the TT! I'm actually looking to buy an old XT now.

I have some parts for those bikes I'll list soon. Just for those who need them.

I know I have the K&N Air Filter (YA-6003) lightly used and in the box and some other items that you might find useful.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #34
erdsh
KTM 640 Adventure

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Nice bike! Which differences between TTS and TTE frames and engines (apart from kick-electric starter of course)? Different suspensions too?

This is a very special TT600 a friend of mine (Claudio Zago) built with original BYRD pieces and other especially made

He brought it straight to Dakar on the Heroes Legend 2010!
Very nice bike !!!
the differences are in the suspension. The TTE has KAYABA which are shorter then the TTS with the Ohlins which are much better.
The electric system is different, the TTS has no battery while the TTE must have battery.
the S has manual decompression mechanism.
the E has cush drive (rubber padding in rear wheel)
I think the camshaft timing is a little different.
TT600R
KTM300EXC
CR125
YZ125
and many other...

erdsh screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 09:29 AM
erdsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #35
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Wheelies

Anyone got good shots of one in the air.
I'll post some when I can find them.
My TT lifts the front so easy its almost not a challenge, but I digress.
Lets see what you've got.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
TT600s in the air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
Anyone got good shots of one in the air.
I'll post some when I can find them.
My TT lifts the front so easy its almost not a challenge, but I digress.
Lets see what you've got.
Theres a U-tube of a TT600 gos up againts a IT490! Theres one with sound and one no sound. Maybe someone here can get the link? BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
TT600 WEb Sites???

I had a link to a 59X web site out of itay?? Also theres a Germany TT600 too. Loss all to a PC Crashed!!! Anybody "over the pond" can help???
BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #38
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 707
i've spoken to a few people in my life who have had or seen buggered 2nd gear on TT/XT6's. from shifting roughly while wheelieing them. when i suggested it only takes a flick of the clutch in 3rd to pull them up, and why were they bothering with first ? i got no reply.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #39
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
We used to practice wheelies on a long dirt uphill slope just for fun for hours on end. I always pulled it up by just yanking on the bars while I gassed it, and then would upshift to second or sometimes third and never had any gearbox issues....course, I ALWAYS use the clutch when shifting......even with the front tire in the air!
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #40
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I read somewhere that "lugging" them in 5th gear was hard on them.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #41
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
We used to practice wheelies on a long dirt uphill slope just for fun for hours on end. I always pulled it up by just yanking on the bars while I gassed it, and then would upshift to second or sometimes third and never had any gearbox issues....course, I ALWAYS use the clutch when shifting......even with the front tire in the air!
Same here. Never had to "clutch it" to get the front up, just throttle and a yank on the bars.
I used to be able to pull my old '82 XR500 up in 1st or 2nd and go through the gears to 5th until I ran out of power or space. Always used the clutch when shifting.
Unfortunately age has caught up with me somewhat and I'm not nearly the long distance wheelier I once was, and I don't use the clutch anymore with the wheel in the air--- I might fall off the back of the bike.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #42
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Today I managed to get myself another set of wheels for my beloved TT600R.
The rear wheel is a TT600RE unit with a damped rim. I think cush drive is the proper term. Luckily these wheels were fairly cheap, even if they are worth its weight in gold here.

With the cush drive I expect a long happy relationship with my gearbox.

Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #43
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Kelly_O:

YEP! Lugging ANY motor is hard on them, in ANY gear...IMO anyway.

Brucifier:

I can rrelate to the age thing but I STILL like to "get it up" once in a while! HEY! On a bike...get yer mind outa the gutter!

Fantuzzi:

Ohhhh baby! Cush drive on a TT....Man that will be sweet!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #44
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Stator Rewind

Ok,
So I have a plan to rewind the stator on my TT and light up with a 12V system.
I have the electronics figured out and pretty much know which components I am going to use.

1. remove old lighting coils from stator - leave ignition coils alone.
2. rewing with smaller gauge wire, and fill the empty poles - more coils = more juice
3. I will use a R/R from an xt225, which happens to be cheap and availible

If it works, the output won't be massive, but it will be 12V and enough to power lights and blinkers.
So here it where I need some help.
I don't want to butcher my stock stator if in fact I am really a retartd and it doesn't work

So does anyone have a stator that has the lighting circuit fried they would loan me?
I will pay shipping and if it works I'll ship it back to you - with the coils in place

Oh and the inevitable question - Why not just use an XT stator - Well, I think I want to leave the ignition circuit alone for now. My CDI is working fine and I don't want to stir up that hornets nest.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #45
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Zahnartz,

You might be able to find one at a junkyard. I used to buy quite a few pieces from one out of Michigan. They were huge although I cannot remember their name, they sold me a lot of parts about 10-15 years or so ago when I was re-building an old bike.

Had great prices too!