Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #46
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
TT 621 Kit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Same here. Never had to "clutch it" to get the front up, just throttle and a yank on the bars.
I used to be able to pull my old '82 XR500 up in 1st or 2nd and go through the gears to 5th until I ran out of power or space. Always used the clutch when shifting.
Unfortunately age has caught up with me somewhat and I'm not nearly the long distance wheelier I once was, and I don't use the clutch anymore with the wheel in the air--- I might fall off the back of the bike.
Just have to ask, Hows that 621 kit? Harder to kick? High test gas?? Do you have to get the cases "Bore"??? Stock cam? Any head work? Thanks ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #47
dnnyrckts
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
This is a weakness of th early model TT600 and I thing we could come up with a cheap easy soultion. You seam to have stumbeld on a possible solution.
However,in my case, my stator only has six(?) poles and three are used for the ignition.Is this the setup yours had. I wanted to get mine rewound for lighting but wasn't sure if only three poles would work.
If I remember correctly, you get volts from number windings and amps from number of poles...maybe
I don't remember the original setup, but seems like there were 4 poles that were wound (1 ignition and 3 lighting) an 2 unwound. I sent the stator to Gary at Custom re-wind in Birmingham, AL and told him what I wanted to do. He said that no matter how it's wound the voltage would vary up and down with engine revs, just need enough winding to produce at least 12 v at idle. By adding the 2 poles to the lighting system, he felt that would be plenty.
dnnyrckts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #48
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Just have to ask, Hows that 621 kit? Harder to kick? High test gas?? Do you have to get the cases "Bore"??? Stock cam? Any head work? Thanks ED
Hi Ed.
This is from one of my previous posts.

"The other mods to this bike are a 621cc JE piston, Web motocross grind camshaft with matching valve springs, ported head by Baisley Performance and the Cobra slip-on.
Unfortunately as I was buttoning up this installation, I noticed the main bearings had some play. So, it will have to be torn back down all the way and new mains installed.... I have really been dragging my feet on this."

I have the kickstart activated decomp hooked up so kicking it isn't any more difficult.
I don't know if I'll have to use race gas or not. I only have 30 minutes or so run time on it and have not twisted the loud handle very far yet.
Didn't have to bore the cases.

Here's a few pics of the install.

As you can see, I'm not a detailed picture taker when I'm working.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #49
fabspec
fabspec

Oddometer: 14
About time for a TT600 thread

Howdy Folks

I bought my '84 TT600 in late '83. It's been sitting for a while and high time to resurrect the beast. I'm specifically looking for plastic - the fenders are toast and the tank is pitifully gas stained. What are you guys doing for replacement parts?

Thanks

Fabspec
fabspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #50
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Oh and the inevitable question - Why not just use an XT stator - Well, I think I want to leave the ignition circuit alone for now. My CDI is working fine and I don't want to stir up that hornets nest.

Thanks
My TT600 motor ran perfectly with an XT600 rotor, stator, and CDI. Not sure why you call it a hornet's nest.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #51
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 709
with a little soldering, you can use the xt stator with the tt rotor. the pickup coil is slightly different due to the smaller od on the tt flywheel. if you swap the tt's pickup onto the xt stator it'll work fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #52
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest View Post
with a little soldering, you can use the xt stator with the tt rotor. the pickup coil is slightly different due to the smaller od on the tt flywheel. if you swap the tt's pickup onto the xt stator it'll work fine.
I seem to recall the TT rotor being lighter, there is some chance that it has weaker magnets than the XT rotor, meaning less juice.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #53
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 709
i had a bit of a look at them, and the inside is the same. it just has 3 or so mm less steel on the outside. mine uses the xt's reg/rec and 2 phase stator and it runs a 60w halogen bulb just like the xt did.

a heavier flywheel helps you stall a bit less i suppose. someone who knows more might chime in, but the lighter flywheel in my case was no detriment.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #54
Fantuzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
Kelly_O:
Fantuzzi:
Ohhhh baby! Cush drive on a TT....Man that will be sweet!
I tested the cush drive rear wheel today and I'm absolutely amazed. Smooth operator.

Fantuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #55
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
wtb, air filter cage...

I've only put a few hours on my recently purchased '84 TT600. I opened the air filter box and was shocked to see what the PO had done. The air cleaner was being held in place by the wing nut on the right side cover, and nothing else. The filter is an "old" K&N and I don't like the looks of it. I have ordered a new UNI filter for her but need the inner and outer cage, and any additional hardware that needs to be there. Does anyone have these spares, and would you consider selling them to me? Thank You, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #56
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Ohhhh baby! Cush drive on a TT....Man that IS sweet!
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #57
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
I've only put a few hours on my recently purchased '84 TT600. I opened the air filter box and was shocked to see what the PO had done. The air cleaner was being held in place by the wing nut on the right side cover, and nothing else. The filter is an "old" K&N and I don't like the looks of it. I have ordered a new UNI filter for her but need the inner and outer cage, and any additional hardware that needs to be there. Does anyone have these spares, and would you consider selling them to me? Thank You, Kelly.

No one has a parts bike and wants to sell the air filter cage? Kelly.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #58
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Kelly,

I know I have an airbox... I can't remember if it has a cage or not. I will check when I get home.
If it's there it's yours.

Z
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #59
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Kelly,

I know I have an airbox... I can't remember if it has a cage or not. I will check when I get home.
If it's there it's yours.

Z

Thank You very much! I'm starting to stress over it. It's been a long cool spring and we're finally expecting good weather. If I don't find one soon I'll have to resort to my engineering skills. I shudder to think... Kelly.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #60
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Wicked TT600 Airbox?

Quote:
Do you find your part for your airbox?? ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote