Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
BeemerBill OP
fillerup agin'

Oddometer: 611
MapSource Question

When plotting a route is there any way to determine the driving distance between each Waypoint. I seem to only get a "as the crow flies" distance using the measuring tool. What am I missing here???
Old 06-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Edit > Preferences ... > Routing > Use Auto-Routing

You then have to bring up the route properties for the route you want routed and click Recalcuate.

But this will only work if you have a map CD loaded that supports auto-routing (e.g., City Select); if not, then direct "as the crow flies" distances between waypoints is all you get.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
BeemerBill OP
fillerup agin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Edit > Preferences ... > Routing > Use Auto-Routing

You then have to bring up the route properties for the route you want routed and click Recalcuate.

But this will only work if you have a map CD loaded that supports auto-routing (e.g., City Select); if not, then direct "as the crow flies" distances between waypoints is all you get.

- Mark
I have City Select loaded on my hard drive. Does the CD still need to be inserted? I get lost between Use AutoRouting and "route properties".
Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Whether the CD is required depends on how you did setup. But it will ask you for the CD if it needs it.

Make sure City Select is the active map database as indicated in the dropdown list right at the left of the screen under the menu bar. This is where you select which map database you want to use and if you've installed multiple databases, they should be listed here.

Once you're sure you have City Select as your map database, "Edit > Preferences..." brings up a multi-tabbed dialog. Click on the "Routing" tab. Then click the "Use Auto-Routing" radio button, then "Ok".

This will not change the routing preference on your routes immediately. You have to open each route property individually and click "Recalcuate". At this point, the program will route through the waypoints on roads, not direct.

Have I mentioned lately that the UI to MapSource is terrible? It's really unfortunate because it is the only easy way to do routes for a Garmin GPS. But as a stand-alone mapping product, it's pretty bad, especially compared to something like S&T.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Running Distance

This may not be exactly whay you're looking for, but if you open up the Route Properties dialogue box you'll have a choice of two Tabs -- Via Points, or Directions. If you click on Directions, for each "entry" you can see the running total (distance), leg length and leg time. That may give you enough to let you calculate what you want. You can also use the measuing tool; just click it a number of times between the waypoints on your route so you don't get an "as-the-crow-flies" measurement.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
BeemerBill OP
fillerup agin'

Got it!!!!! Thanks Mark.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Glad to help.

- Mark