User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #166
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Ahah...

BikerzL8E, aka, Kristi, if you think hard, you will remember that that giant tattoo of a sun and a moon is on my RIGHT side. And that Foot Dragger is indeed correct

The bike mechanic is selling me a used 21in and 17in wheel, and using its spokes to lace in my hub. Hes already straightened my forks, and has fixed the front axle as well. Only my rear subframe is tweaked, everything else is ok. It will be un-re-tweaked and be put right. My motor runs very well still. Started right up today when I gave it a go. Ill be on the road sooner than later it would seem.

Gomotor: The ambulance charged a flat rate. The bike hauler took advantage of me, and my overworked (at this point) friends didnt care much to barter with money that wasnt theirs. I dont blame them.

Well, Im off to find some fish or meat tacos. Whichever I see first. Im hungry!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #167
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,991
WOW!! Heal quick, body and bike

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #168
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
You guys really need to do some math and figure out how long it will take for you to be flown back to a major city for a hospital. You might be 60 or 100 miles from the US border, but you are 6-8 HOURS from trauma care, IF someone can get a plane in the air rapido.

Last year I had a really hard get off @ Bahia de LA, and it hit me like a ton of bricks not only how lucky I was, but how badly I would have felt if I'd ruined everyone else's trip.

Sorry to be debbie downer over here And I feel like a total hypocrite because the only way I learned was a LOT of crashes. But I do hope you'll slow it down and soak in the Baja 'sperience a little bit
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #169
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
How come an injured man riding in an ambulance with medics cost $200 and a bent up motorcycle in an old pickup cost $250? That is not right.
However it adds up, he got off cheap/easy and it doesn't sound like he's complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
You guys really need to do some math and figure out how long it will take for you to be flown back to a major city for a hospital. You might be 60 or 100 miles from the US border, but you are 6-8 HOURS from trauma care, IF someone can get a plane in the air rapido.
How does that help anyone? Are you suggesting that we all stay within __ hours of a major city/hospital? Not trying to be an ass, am just not sure I understand what you're getting at.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #170
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic [click to show pic]

How does that help anyone? Are you suggesting that we all stay within __ hours of a major city/hospital? Not trying to be an ass, am just not sure I understand what you're getting at.
Same here. Don't understand that statement.

You seem to have taken it well. Get well soon!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #171
Irishdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Great report, but take it easy so ye can finish it great fotos and story man.
Irishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #172
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Perhaps what xymotic is getting at is that by understanding just how far away help is from you, you can better manage your risks. In other words, if you know help is several hours away in a best case scenario, then you'll be a bit more conservative in your risk-taking and stick to the tarmac and resist the call of that tasty dirt track beckoning you to come play. On the other hand, if support is very close and able to get to you quickly, you might heed that call and romp through the dirt. It never hurts to understand your risk scenarios as best as you can, especially when you're on an epic ride such as this.

I know these guys are running on a budget, but if I were to set off on a journey like this, I would seriously consider getting a SPOT GPS tracker and signing up for MedjetAssist for emergency evac from anywhere in the world. I don't work for either of these services, nor do I have an interest in their businesses. I do, however, know someone who is alive today probably because he had those two things when he was riding across Canada and had an accident.

In all ventures, preparation is key.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #173
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator7G View Post
Perhaps what xymotic is getting at is that by understanding just how far away help is from you, you can better manage your risks. In other words, if you know help is several hours away in a best case scenario, then you'll be a bit more conservative in your risk-taking and stick to the tarmac and resist the call of that tasty dirt track beckoning you to come play. On the other hand, if support is very close and able to get to you quickly, you might heed that call and romp through the dirt. It never hurts to understand your risk scenarios as best as you can, especially when you're on an epic ride such as this.

I know these guys are running on a budget, but if I were to set off on a journey like this, I would serious consider getting a SPOT GPS tracker and signing up for MedjetAssist for emergency evac from anywhere in the world. I don't work for either of these services, nor do I have an interest in their businesses. I do, however, know someone who is probably alive today, because he had those two things when he was riding across Canada and had an accident.

In all ventures, preparation is key.
Eggsactly. Like I said it's a bit hypocritical for me to even mention it, because I've been-there/done that.

When I wrecked in Baja, it was a 'nothing' flat & smooth dirt road. SO I was going as fast as I would in Los Angeles. But it's not Los Angeles. So when I exited the bike at 60 and hit a rock with my head, I had an epiphany that even though I was right next to the airfield @ Alphonsina's, and even though our group had a private plane just a cell call away...

I was still 4-5 hours away from help. So why the hell had I been going 60 on a dirt road in BFE Mexico? I'm not saying stick to asphalt, but the only reason to go fast is for the adrenaline, or to meet a schedule, and neither of those is really worth dying for.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #174
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Great story so far -- and this accident could have ended a lot worse. I'm glad it didn't turn out like some of the other young guys in/headed to Mexico ride reports on this site!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #175
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Ah, yer banged-up, but you'll get it sorted
Hope to see you guys back on the road soon!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #176
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 611
Ride

Keep the shiny side up Grasshopper !

Best Wishes , Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #177
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Shit Happens,get it glued back together and charge off like you mean business. Lifes too short to worry over every possible scenario.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #178
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Ahh the damage, in terms of dollars.

Work done by Tato the Motorcycle Mechanic

1) Straighten front forks

2) Straighten front axle

3) Straighten rear subframe

4) Lace my hubs into new/used 21" and 17" rims with existing used spokes (many of mine were broken)

5) Labor for the above mentioned.

Total cost, $10.500 pesos. Or, at the current exchange rate. Just under $900USD.

He did the work in less then 3 days. My bike will be finished by today, and I will be on the road by tomorrow afternoon if all goes as planned. Tom, Charlie, and Sarah left San Ignacio this afternoon headed south. If I leave tomorrow, and ride long slow days, I'll reach them by Sunday afternoon, or monday. No rush.

What exactly I am paying for, I'm not sure. But by US standards, it is cheap. New rims and spokes for the front and rear would have cost me over $900 in the states. Labor costs would have been prohibitive. I received competent work for a good price. I'll take it.

More photos to come.

My luggage carrying will change, as my right side pelican case exploded into many pieces. However, my 1000D Cordura bag liner, custom made for a great price by Brady the cordura sewing guy over in the vendors sections, held up well, and kept my stuff in one place. My top pelican case will likely become a side case to replace my busted one, and a large canvas duffle bag will likely go across the top of my bike. We'll see if I can find one.

Onward!!!

Thanks for all the positive posts everyone! Don't worry. I intend to finish the trip, and update it for the next many months. Continue enjoying! Ciao for now!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #179
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,823
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #180
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Eggsactly. Like I said it's a bit hypocritical for me to even mention it, because I've been-there/done that.

When I wrecked in Baja, it was a 'nothing' flat & smooth dirt road. SO I was going as fast as I would in Los Angeles. But it's not Los Angeles. So when I exited the bike at 60 and hit a rock with my head, I had an epiphany that even though I was right next to the airfield @ Alphonsina's, and even though our group had a private plane just a cell call away...

I was still 4-5 hours away from help. So why the hell had I been going 60 on a dirt road in BFE Mexico? I'm not saying stick to asphalt, but the only reason to go fast is for the adrenaline, or to meet a schedule, and neither of those is really worth dying for.
Thanks, I get what you meant now. Just kind of took that for granted, as help is often at least that far away when we're riding in remote parts of the PNW. Gotta adjust your mindset to reflect the fact that you're on your own if anything goes wrong. Changes my riding style for sure.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote