User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #181
boatruptcy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
ride yer ride

yo, bigal dont worry about these adventure keyboarders, you ride the way you want and keep having the time of your life. Motorcycles are dangerous, you werent drunk or riding a stand up wheelie at 80, its just part of the risk of what we all enjoy doing. How arrogant for some A-hole sitting at his desk to tell you guys youre in over your heads, what does he know about you or your capabilities. Take care and have a blast!
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #182
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
I am not a mechanic.
And I have no comment on the quality of the work done.
I would only say that given the extent of the damage and the "straightening" that was done, that there will likely be some level of mis-alignment and out of tolerance.
So WATCH OUT for several hundreds of miles.
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the feel and feedback that your bike will give you.
DON'T ASSUME that all is well mechanically.
As the man said, "Let's be careful out there."
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Work done by Tato the Motorcycle Mechanic

1) Straighten front forks

2) Straighten front axle

3) Straighten rear subframe

4) Lace my hubs into new/used 21" and 17" rims with existing used spokes (many of mine were broken)

5) Labor for the above mentioned.

Total cost, $10.500 pesos. Or, at the current exchange rate. Just under $900USD.

He did the work in less then 3 days. My bike will be finished by today, and I will be on the road by tomorrow afternoon if all goes as planned. Tom, Charlie, and Sarah left San Ignacio this afternoon headed south. If I leave tomorrow, and ride long slow days, I'll reach them by Sunday afternoon, or monday. No rush.

What exactly I am paying for, I'm not sure. But by US standards, it is cheap. New rims and spokes for the front and rear would have cost me over $900 in the states. Labor costs would have been prohibitive. I received competent work for a good price. I'll take it.

More photos to come.

My luggage carrying will change, as my right side pelican case exploded into many pieces. However, my 1000D Cordura bag liner, custom made for a great price by Brady the cordura sewing guy over in the vendors sections, held up well, and kept my stuff in one place. My top pelican case will likely become a side case to replace my busted one, and a large canvas duffle bag will likely go across the top of my bike. We'll see if I can find one.

Onward!!!

Thanks for all the positive posts everyone! Don't worry. I intend to finish the trip, and update it for the next many months. Continue enjoying! Ciao for now!

--Alex
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #183
zazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I think the comments about taking it easy and over ones head are just based on seeing someone crash one or two times.... That's all they know about their abilities But for me I love reading these ride reports and being a noob myself every crash I read about I ask myself what could I do to avoid it. ..the message I am getting here also is slow down! ...but that's stating the obvious .... Loving the trip report!
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #184
benihaha
Al's Dad

Oddometer: 14
Ditto that

I kind of know this guy. Eight months old he stood up in his blue one-piece pajamas with the plastic feet, took off running and hasn't stopped. Just kept going faster and farther.

Now it seems your friends and advisors are advising what your rapidly aging old dad has advised, Big Al Smith. So take it easy, will ya?, You'll get there.

And thanks for the ride.
Pa
benihaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #185
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Heal fast. Enjoying your ride, hang in there.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #186
Copperstone
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Copperstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #187
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by benihaha View Post
I kind of know this guy. Eight months old he stood up in his blue one-piece pajamas with the plastic feet, took off running and hasn't stopped. Just kept going faster and farther.

Now it seems your friends and advisors are advising what your rapidly aging old dad has advised, Big Al Smith. So take it easy, will ya?, You'll get there.

And thanks for the ride.
Pa
I think that it's really cool that your family is on here supporting you. Just keep this in mind, it's one of my favorite lyrics from Rush: "The point of a journey is not to arrive. Anything can happen." As your RR title says, you've no jobs, no responsibilities...enjoy the journey.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #188
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator7G View Post
I think that it's really cool that your family is on here supporting you. Just keep this in mind, it's one of my favorite lyrics from Rush: "The point of a journey is not to arrive. Anything can happen." As your RR title says, you've no jobs, no responsibilities...enjoy the journey.

Very well said. Two big thumbs up.
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #189
Jon Henry
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Take care dude. I am trying to get Mark to get a log in so you and he can share messages when he and Nick take their trip soon on the bikes. Looks like your in good hands as long as you don't get stung to many more times.... Take care man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Work done by Tato the Motorcycle Mechanic

1) Straighten front forks

2) Straighten front axle

3) Straighten rear subframe

4) Lace my hubs into new/used 21" and 17" rims with existing used spokes (many of mine were broken)

5) Labor for the above mentioned.

Total cost, $10.500 pesos. Or, at the current exchange rate. Just under $900USD.

He did the work in less then 3 days. My bike will be finished by today, and I will be on the road by tomorrow afternoon if all goes as planned. Tom, Charlie, and Sarah left San Ignacio this afternoon headed south. If I leave tomorrow, and ride long slow days, I'll reach them by Sunday afternoon, or monday. No rush.

What exactly I am paying for, I'm not sure. But by US standards, it is cheap. New rims and spokes for the front and rear would have cost me over $900 in the states. Labor costs would have been prohibitive. I received competent work for a good price. I'll take it.

More photos to come.

My luggage carrying will change, as my right side pelican case exploded into many pieces. However, my 1000D Cordura bag liner, custom made for a great price by Brady the cordura sewing guy over in the vendors sections, held up well, and kept my stuff in one place. My top pelican case will likely become a side case to replace my busted one, and a large canvas duffle bag will likely go across the top of my bike. We'll see if I can find one.

Onward!!!

Thanks for all the positive posts everyone! Don't worry. I intend to finish the trip, and update it for the next many months. Continue enjoying! Ciao for now!

--Alex
Jon Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #190
Master Shake
Fishbutt

Oddometer: 26
2 biffs and still ginin'

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when they're pushed down the stairs
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #191
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
I never told my parents about anything bad trip-wise until AFTER I got done with the trip for a reason. They tend to freak a lot.

Still, ride safe, ride for the ride, and come home!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #192
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
It might not be a bad idea to get someone to mail you a new front axle.
as good as Tato may be the axle is a presision piece. Also fairly small and not overly expensive.

Other than that, enjoy the ride and keep your spidey senses on.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #193
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
It might not be a bad idea to get someone to mail you a new front axle.
as good as Tato may be the axle is a presision piece. Also fairly small and not overly expensive.

Other than that, enjoy the ride and keep your spidey senses on.
Not a bad idea,small USPS flat rate envelope will get it there cheap.
Feeling the bike out while cruising the next few days couldnt hurt either.
Lotsa things tweaked at one time,hard to get perfectly straight.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #194
dustycrust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Great RR so far! subscribed!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #195
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
wow what a trip your having, thanks for the report.

wish i was their!!!!!!!!!!!