Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #61
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,461
It should not happen, especially on a brand new helmet. Just contact Schuberth (949 215 0893) and I'm sure they will take care of it.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Out of the box the pinlock fogged. I had assumed it was just seated incorrectly and that reseating it would resolved the issue (which worked for pinlocks on my Shoei). Sadly that was a no go and Im not thrilled with the idea of coughing up the dough for a new shield.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #62
bmw2002k12s
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hard closing Schuberth C3 w/SRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Rad The Fish View Post
I've had my C3 with SRC for about a week now. I do find it to be a great helmet for all of the reasons already mentioned. Couple questions, I couldn't find anything on these after searching:

1. Does anyone else have trouble closing the 'flip up' portion? I have to use both hands on both sides and really pull hard. It seems like the soft material gets in the way.

2. Does anyone else pair the Zumo 550 with a SRC and iPhone 4 simultaneously? Is there a certain order to follow, such as pair the Zumo and phone first then the SRC? I've gotten it to work, but it's inconsistent.

Thanks!

Fish
Comment on your #1 question: Because the SRC collar is thicker/bulkier than the stock collar, I have to use 2 hands-use thumbs to lift chin dampener cloth piece up so it fits over the collar then use other finger to pull and snap it shut. Oh and don't forget to move the microphone near your mouth so that it's inside the helmet when closed!! haha, I actually rode a few miles with the microphone outside when I first installed the collar.
bmw2002k12s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #63
bmon
Go Thattaway

Oddometer: 88
Less than a week with the C3 and thus far it's been an awesome helmet. Then again I went directly from a way less expensive helmet: KBC (with Interphone F4) to the C3 with the SRC, so my baseline expectations going in are relatively low. The SRC is flat out superior in every respect to the F4. The noise level, comfort and just plain coolness/convenience of the integrated sun visor makes this one of my most satisfying gear purchases ever.

Last night I rode through a moderately heavy rain for ~30 minutes and did notice the glare from oncoming lights I attribute this as much or more to the rain and the fact that I wear prescription eyeglasses.

I too have to give a good two-handed push on the flip-up to ensure the helmet latches properly, I think the SRC collar plays a factor and that the effort required will lessen over time as the helmet becomes broken-in.

bmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #64
mh1
mh1

Oddometer: 11
Thumb New C3

I just picked up a new C3 and rode home in heavy Seattle rain in stop-and-go heavy afternoon traffic. No fogging at all! This is my first flip up, and it seems to be working great.

I'm also unable to close it with one hand.

It appears it will become my new "everyday" helmet over my XD3.
mh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #65
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,357
Same affliction............need 2 hands
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #66
Be Rad The Fish
Movin' Out.

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2002k12s View Post
Comment on your #1 question: Because the SRC collar is thicker/bulkier than the stock collar, I have to use 2 hands-use thumbs to lift chin dampener cloth piece up so it fits over the collar then use other finger to pull and snap it shut. Oh and don't forget to move the microphone near your mouth so that it's inside the helmet when closed!! haha, I actually rode a few miles with the microphone outside when I first installed the collar.
I noticed that mine got better after some use. What I do is open the visor a bit and squeeze the flip-up closed, my thumb on the bottom of the helmet and my fingers pulling down via the visor opening (left hand).

Past: '81 Kawasaki 440LTD, '00 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, '00 Harley Davidson FLHTCI, '03 Harley Davidson FLHRCI, 2007 KLR 650, 2008 BMW GS ADV, 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring.
Be Rad The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #67
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Dang! I am still having this problem with the liner and how it has those seams. Wears fine for about 1 1/2 hours then the headache starts in. This is the mark I have when I take off the helmet. It's deeper than it looks in this photo. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have done several rides and this is still the only problem I have with the helmet.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #68
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Dang! I am still having this problem with the liner and how it has those seams. Wears fine for about 1 1/2 hours then the headache starts in. This is the mark I have when I take off the helmet. It's deeper than it looks in this photo. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have done several rides and this is still the only problem I have with the helmet.

Carefully take a spoon and work the foam down in that precise area behind the seam.
It worked for me, I found mine was just a little tight on the forehead area.
Repeated working with the back side if the spoon made the helmet fit perfectly.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #69
Spartan
It's All Attitude

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Carefully take a spoon and work the foam down in that precise area behind the seam.
It worked for me, I found mine was just a little tight on the forehead area.
Repeated working with the back side if the spoon made the helmet fit perfectly.
There is a flap under the lining that is for covering the two vent holes if you choose. That extra thickness bothered me too. I had to use a small mallet to reshape the foam. Even with the mallet it took several tries but now the hot spot is gone.
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #70
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
There is a flap under the lining that is for covering the two vent holes if you choose. That extra thickness bothered me too. I had to use a small mallet to reshape the foam. Even with the mallet it took several tries but now the hot spot is gone.
$700 helmet. Spoons and Mallets? really? I'm going to just bind my head up when I sleep to compress my melon
Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #71
johnnywishbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
it's hard to tell from the picture, but, it appears your head is shaped like a cucumber.

johnnywishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #72
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 330
Well, dang it! I have been droolin over this so long that i called and ordered it! With an extra set of liners and SRC.
Done!
Now to get it here an go ridin with commo!!!
Aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #73
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I've had the pinlocks in my Arai for years. I resigned myself to buying a new shield and insert as needed. Install it properly and don't touch the insert and it doesn't leak or fog.

My C3 on the other hand does leak (but does not fog ).... I get a spray and drips on my nose & eyes. I haven't had a chance to take it on any long trips yet but I have been drenched on my commute a few times. I will go visit ridewest soon to see what they make of it. Also I don't like the tan color of the ladies' liner. It started to show road grime in less than a month.

I love the convenience and find that I take better care of it, mostly because I can flip it up instead of taking it off and setting it in harms way while I remove the rest of my gear. I like the sun shade, it seems tight. Fit is very snug. With the chin curtain it is quiet, and it has really good ventilation.

Mostly so far so good, especially if I can solve the leak problem.

-k
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #74
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 514
SRC range of 900' is not sufficient for ADV

A couple buddies bought C3's with SRC during the winter and on a recent trip we took to the mountains and forest roads in Tellico TN the 900' range claim was both: 1) "generous" and 2) insufficient for ADV riding.

The SRC was pretty much "line of sight", so the moment one of you goes around a corner or over a hill the comm is broken. And even when you are in sight of one another, 900 feet is not very far at all, less than 2 tenths a mile (0.17 mile). Pick a mark on a street then watch your odo and stop just short of 0.2 further. Not very far is it? And that's MAXIMUM range under ideal conditions.

Point is that the built in SRC (an integrated G4, according to Cardo) is neat to have, but for real ADV riding when you're on twisty trails or with elevation, or just holding back a bit from the guy ahead because of dust, you won't have comm. Regular Scala G4 has a max range claim of 1 mile. You might do better with regular Scala G4s if you're looking for decent comm for ADV rides. The integration of the SRC into the helmet has caused a serious range reduction that is pretty much unusable unless you're only a couple hundred feet apart. Am guessing that integrating the antenna into the collar of the helmet has caused the severe range penalty to the "regular" G4.

We've also tested Motocomm headset/PTT wiring units connected to Motorola EM1000R family radios on prior ADV trips and got an honest 1 mile of range through very heavy tree cover with some significant elevations between.

They do like the helmets themselves, very quiet, etc. Just thought since this is "ADVRider" that some SRC performance under real ADV conditions might be good to post up.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #75
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
I've got one of these on order (backordered for a Lg Hi-Viz) and already have the SRC and extra visor.

I'm hoping maybe someone comes out with a quick fix for the range issue...any electronics engineers out there that wanna play with it?
I was thinking it could be as simple as extending the antenna wire up the body of the shell - shouldn't be big enuff to cause wind noise should it?

Anyway, sure hope mine gets to the house soon - need to get it broken in before my June trip to Alaska (from Tampa, via Key West)...

Dave in Dusty Doha, Qatar
Deployed Gov't Contractor
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote