ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK94Z View Post
Thanks Doc. I'll look at that when I get home. Thinking of riding is a chore in itself, let a lone having to look at the gps and think, is that my left or my right?
Turn unit on, hit menu twice, scroll to setup (wrench symbol) hit enter, scroll to map, enter, scroll right/left to map setup general, scroll down to top window, is orientation, you want north up vs track up..

I like north up too, but I get confused sometimes heading south when I have to decide which way to turn.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
Ok I'm getting ready to show just how dumb I am when it comes to gps technology. If I wanted to download the route from white rock to the natural bridge then insert the bypass to go around the whoop de doo's then how would I do that?

Sorry to sound so stupid but I don't know how to make it do that without starting with a brand new route and lay it all out again from start to finish.
Adding second route as a bypass into an existing mapsource file

1. Load your selected route into MapSource

2. Find the "User Data Tabs" window. Do this by clicking on the small arrow on the left of the map window near the top. Within the "User Data Tabs" window you find the "Routes" tab. Click it open. You will now see the name of the route listed there.

3. Highlight the route name

4. Select "Show selected Route on Map" and the route appears on the map

5. Before you start making changes to your route insure that all of your tool bars are turned on. Do this by right clicking in a blank space above and outside of your map window. Put a tick mark in front of each of the tool bar categories.

6. Find the part of the route where you intend to start your bypass or detour

7. Next find your "Route Tool" it will be in the same tool bar as the little hand. (Hover your cursor over each symbol and you will see the name of the function).

8. Depress the route tool button.

9. Place the cursor on the place you want to start the bypass and click there left click there, a line will now be attached to your cursor.

10. Next move your cursor to the place where you want the bypass or re-route to end. Then, left click again.

11. Now hit the escape button on your keyboard. This stops the rubber band line from moving where where you cursor moves and it will set and highlight the newly built bypass route.

12. Find the Way Point flag in your tool bar (also next to the hand), click the Way Point button and move your cursor where you started your bypass route and drop a Way Point ON THE ORIGINAL ROUTE just ahead of where your bypass begins and name it something like bypass begins. (now when you get there you will know it).

13. Look in your route tab again. You will now have two routes showing. The first will be the original route and the second will be some route named with seemingly random roads. You will want to change the name of the second route to something you will remember.

14. To change the name of the route do this. Highlight the name of the route/double click the name of the route.

15. This takes you to the "Route properties window"

16. In the route properties window you will find a tick box with the word "autoname" on it's right. Untick this box

17. Next, just above the "autoname" and tick box you will see a field for naming the route. Highlight and delete the existing name. Then rename it what you want (something like Whoops bypass).

Modifying an existing route to avoid something or make a route correction

1. Open your selected route

2. Choose the "Selection Tool" from the toolbar (same toolbar as the hand),

3. Click somewhere, anywhere on the route line. This will cause the route to show arrows on it.

4. Zoom your map into one mile.

5. Select map detail setting "Highest"

6. Use the "selection tool" and grab the route where you wish to change it by left clicking the route. You will now see a rubberband line. Pull the rubberband to the road you desire and left click again. The route will change to where you want it.

7. There are some things to remember when doing this:

A. You may have to perform this operation more than once along the previous route to get the route where YOU want it.

B. Sometimes when you do this you will see a partial left over route or route remnant where you first started to change the route. To get rid of this partial route move the selection tool cursor somewhere off the route and click.

The arrows on the route will disappear, the line will go solid. Next go to where the "old route" ends and find the end "route point or black dot" and left click on it. Once you click on it it will highlight in black, immediately right click it and then select "delete waypoint. You will get a confirmation window, click "yes" and the old route will go away (you may have to do this more than once to get rid of the entire previous route).

I did this on the fly so if something in this tutorial doesn't make sense or needs clarification let me know

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 11:38 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #18
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Adding second route as a bypass into an existing mapsource file

1. Load your selected route into MapSource

2. Find the route tab, and open it and you will see the name of the route
Routes Tab

DrLewall screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 03:14 PM
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #19
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

White Rock to Old Cabin

This is 70 miles one way to an old cabin that some old feller has restored. The cabin is open to all and if the old man is there, be prepared for a history lesson. He loves to bend an ear or two while spilling old hillbilly yarns. There is a guest book inside so be sure to sign it. Take your camera!

You will pass thru Oark. Also, if you head back out to hwy 21 and turn south for abt 5 miles, on the right in Ozone, is the infamous Burger Barn. I will draw up a separate track for Burger Barn from WR

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 070WR_OldCabin.gpx (34.7 KB, 272 views)

DrLewall screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 05:55 AM
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

White Rock to Ozone (Burger Barn)

If you find that Oark or Catalapa is too busy to eat at, there is always the Burger Barn in Ozone. Burger are good and BIG...even tho the guy who serves you isn't all the friendly, he does put out a good product. I see it as, he aint got time to visit with everyone who comes to the window, if he did, the burgers wouldn't get done or they'd burn.

This is 65 miles one way

Mapsource 2010.1

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 065WR_BurgerBarn.gpx (34.7 KB, 282 views)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #21
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

White Rock to Devils Den

This will take you to one of Arkansas favorite state parks. Very popular with locals and visitors. Devils Den has something for everyone. This track is 46 miles one way and is mostly dirt.

This track will take you down Warloop Road so if you need to BYPASS Warloop, use the Warloop Bypass track that is posted elsewhere in this thread and then pick up this track again on ASH Rd.

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 046WR_DevilsDen.gpx (36.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #22
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Devils Den back to White Rock

Once at Devils Den, you can either back track or take a different track back to White Rock. On this track, it will take you via hwy 74 east to a point where you will pick up dirt roads again. There is 20 miles of pavement with some twisties, but beaware, farmer John also uses these roads so you may encounter a slow pickup. You can get gas in Winslow (waypointed).

This is abt 45 miles one way back to WR.

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 045DevilsDen_WR.gpx (34.3 KB, 337 views)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

White Rock to Historical Ft Smith 64mi

This will take you from White Rock to Historical Fort Smith and Judge Parkers kingdom. See the gallows, Judge Parkers Court room and much more. You will be downtown and close to food and gas and traffic There will be some dirt road as well as paved hwy.
The Museum will charge you $5 for the walk thru tour..allow a couple of hours..if you just want to tour the outside grounds, then allow abt 45min-1 hr

This is 64 miles one way

EDIT: this is the "EASTERN" route...look for the "western" route on the next page

Photos added..

This is a "wooden" flag pole

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 064WR_HistFS.gpx (34.3 KB, 154 views)

DrLewall screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 04:44 PM Reason: update
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #24
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Prairie Grove Battle Field Park 67mi

This is a track to the Praire Grove Battlefield Park from White Rock. This is a civil war battle field with a museum and a drive your self tour of the complex. This is mostly dirt roads.

This track is dooable on a big bike, as long as you also have the Warloop bypass here in your GPS..this track will take you down Warloop Rd but you can go around and pick up Ash rd down on hwy 71 and continue.

You can track back to White Rock or take the pavement back via hwy 71

EDIT: Be sure to check out the track from PG Battlefield Park to the Confederate Cemetery in FYV..from there you can pick up the dirt roads back to White Rock. The track is listed a few posts down (post #38 or here )

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 067WR_PGBP.gpx (34.3 KB, 229 views)

DrLewall screwed with this post 03-08-2011 at 06:06 AM
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

WR loop over the Bobby Hopper Tunnel 74 mi

This is a 74 mile loop that will take you over the Bobby Hopper Tunnel on I-540. You will go down Warloop Rd and again, if you have a big bike (larger than 650), get the Warloop bypass here other than Warloop, this track is big bike friendly, all county dirt roads. There is fuel and food at both Mountainburg and Winslow. There is some pavement just before you come into Winslow and for abt 6 or 7 miles east out of Winslow.

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 074WR_BobbyHopperloop.gpx (34.8 KB, 229 views)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #26
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

WR to Historical FS (western rte) 58mi

This is the western route (track) to Historical Ft Smith. This will take you down thru Mountainberg crossing hwy 71 via dirt roads to Van Buren..you will then be on hwy 64 crossing the Arkansas river where you will pick up hwy 255 riding along the river to downtown Ft Smith.

If you do not want to follow this track back, look for the Eastern rte track to complete this loop back to WR here, post #30

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 058WR_VBFShistorical.gpx (34.3 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
This is the western route (track) to Historical Ft Smith. This will take you down thru Mountainberg crossing hwy 71 via dirt roads to Van Buren..you will then be on hwy 64 crossing the Arkansas river where you will pick up hwy 255 riding along the river to downtown Ft Smith.

If you do not want to follow this track back, look for the Eastern rte track to complete this loop back to WR here, post #30

Mapsource 2010.1
This is the same track in "Route" form using MapSource CNNA 2010.1

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 09:00 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #28
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Confederate Cemetery, FYV

This track will take you from the Praire Grove battlefield to the Confederate Cemetery in Fayetteville. This is pavement thru FYV so you will mingle with traffic. From there you can follow the dirt roads back to White Rock. You can skip the PG Battlefield and follow the track to the Confederate Cemetery from WR.

This track is 66 miles from Praire Grove to WR, or close to abt 55 miles from WR to Confed Cemtery.

Mapsource 2010.1

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 066ConfedCem_WR.gpx (152.4 KB, 195 views)

DrLewall screwed with this post 03-08-2011 at 06:08 AM
Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #29
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Mill Creek Blue Loop--Single track

This is the only single track GPX I have at this time and we hope to have some more to add.

This is the Blue Loop down at Mill Creek. This track is several years old and it is very possible that some of it may be closed and re-routing may be necessary. I don't do single track anymore so I can not confirm this, ride at your own risk and alertness. This track is abt 42 miles long

Mapsource 2010.1
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 042MillCreekBlueLoop.gpx (263.1 KB, 238 views)
Old 04-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
JasonK94Z
Crash Tester

Oddometer: 90
Just curious, will there be group leaders for the rides? I'm on a KLR650 and would be looking to follow someone on as much gravel as possible. Over 100 mile round trip with a nice lunch stop would be great!