User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Beauty

To me, that's more of a "real" Harley than all the hideous multi thousand dollar choppers that get their own TV shows

To each their own as far as choppers and the like go, but your XLCC is how I would imagine myself owning an HD.

Great work
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Crocker
just passing through

Oddometer: 3,467
I like it a lot, my own personal taste would want to get rid of some more chrome but I'd still ride it with pride as is.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Beauty

To me, that's more of a "real" Harley than all the hideous multi thousand dollar choppers that get their own TV shows

To each their own as far as choppers and the like go, but your XLCC is how I would imagine myself owning an HD.

Great work
I agree. Mr. Davidson would look on this bike with pleasure.
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Gbob
Gone fishin

Oddometer: 47
Bad to the bone

What a cool custom. You have given me some great ideas for my 89 XL1200. I live on a small rock and every ride here is an adventure so your version will be perfect! Good ting mon!
Gbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
MOTO DUDE
Rydin Dirty

Oddometer: 133
Nice work! I dig it.........
MOTO DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
another sportster conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
I like it a lot, my own personal taste would want to get rid of some more chrome but I'd still ride it with pride as is.
Crocker,I'd like to have no chrome too but this was a 1200 Custom when I bought it and it comes with all that shiny shit!You should see all the parts I peeled off.I guess it still is a custom but in a different way.thanks for all the nice comments!
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #22
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Xlcc, I am impressed , super impressed, but you knew that for over the last 25 years. Nothing would make me more proud to ride my 640 to Tete Jaune and go for a ride with you, or maybe ride the Dempster together.

You could also ride that back down here instead of the Victor and let it scratch some dirt/rocks at over 12.000 feet.

HOw about posting just for me a pic of you on that bike with that special helmet you know I love so much. I will post that pic in my garage as a special memory.

Great job on the bike, keep up your posting on this ADV, you now have a great following.

ride smart, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
Crocker,I'd like to have no chrome too but this was a 1200 Custom when I bought it and it comes with all that shiny shit!You should see all the parts I peeled off.I guess it still is a custom but in a different way.thanks for all the nice comments!

Take a wire brush or some lite grit sandpaper to the chrome, it'll dull it up.

It's a cool bike.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #24
jdw4748
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Not to push this thread off on a tangent. But anybody have any idea way Harley doesn't have some type of scrambler version of the sportster. And I mean a real respectable dirt road, maybe light jeep trail type of scrambler. So many talented guys have managed to do it on their own, why doesn't Harley. Doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stretch.
jdw4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw4748 View Post
Not to push this thread off on a tangent. But anybody have any idea way Harley doesn't have some type of scrambler version of the sportster. And I mean a real respectable dirt road, maybe light jeep trail type of scrambler. So many talented guys have managed to do it on their own, why doesn't Harley. Doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stretch.
I think it is the attitude of the buyers. Most Harley riders want chrome. Look at the aftermarket. If there wasn't demand then there would not be the aftermarket. Harley has done a good job measuring what buyers want and building a niche bike for each segment. My guess is that most Harley riders don't want to do this on their bike.

Until that happens there won't be a market and the bikes would sit and linger on the showroom floor. The other manufacturers face the same dilemma and that is why we see some really cool bikes in the European market but not here in the US.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
I think it is the attitude of the buyers. Most Harley riders want chrome. Look at the aftermarket. If there wasn't demand then there would not be the aftermarket. Harley has done a good job measuring what buyers want and building a niche bike for each segment. My guess is that most Harley riders don't want to do this on their bike.

Until that happens there won't be a market and the bikes would sit and linger on the showroom floor. The other manufacturers face the same dilemma and that is why we see some really cool bikes in the European market but not here in the US.

Unfortunatly yes.

There is a market for it, but not enough. Buell was a very inovative design and high ability motorcycle that just didn't sell enough to justify the expense for HD. Their market base is pretty specific.

However, it would be nice to have a larger aftermarket program for transforming your sporty into a dual sport type bike like the Triumph Scrambler. It wouldn't take much really, different front end, better shocks, maybe a chain drive converstion, etc..

The low end torque of an HD is intoxicating, the Triumph Scrambler just doesn't have it. As much as I like the Scram, the lack of umph is a show stopper for me. If HD sold a version of the Scram, it would be a done deal.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Chuck Pryce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Anybody don't like that ,well they don't like motorcycles.
Chuck Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #28
jdw4748
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'm no Harley fan, but on the same token I'm not exactly a hater. Just really dissapointing that they are so non-progressive. But moving beyond that it sure seems the sportster is their most versatile model. You almost wonder if a company would be able to succeed by making and selling "conversion kits" for the sportster. Say some type of scrambler, a non factory XR, something like the dirttracker and so on. I honestly believe alot of the scorn thrown Harley's way is just because of the waste of opportunity they have.
jdw4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #29
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw4748 View Post
I'm no Harley fan, but on the same token I'm not exactly a hater. Just really dissapointing that they are so non-progressive. But moving beyond that it sure seems the sportster is their most versatile model. You almost wonder if a company would be able to succeed by making and selling "conversion kits" for the sportster. Say some type of scrambler, a non factory XR, something like the dirttracker and so on. I honestly believe alot of the scorn thrown Harley's way is just because of the waste of opportunity they have.
That's how buell got started.
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
The original concept Ulysses...