Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #31
Tin Man 2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw4748 View Post
I'm no Harley fan, but on the same token I'm not exactly a hater. Just really dissapointing that they are so non-progressive. But moving beyond that it sure seems the sportster is their most versatile model. You almost wonder if a company would be able to succeed by making and selling "conversion kits" for the sportster. Say some type of scrambler, a non factory XR, something like the dirttracker and so on. I honestly believe alot of the scorn thrown Harley's way is just because of the waste of opportunity they have.
There are quite a few "conversion"kits by various manufacturers already on the market, and have been for years. Storz, Phil Little racing and Lawill racing are the 1st that come to mind. There is a whole industry supporting the Harley Flat Track racing culture.
Tin Man 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #32
thetroll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thumb cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man 2 View Post
There is a whole industry supporting the Harley Flat Track racing culture.

that is what I was thinking Tin Man. when I was learning to ride, Harley was king of the flat track scene. the Sprint H was a great bike and the Sportys rocked.

the OP has built a great looking ride that reminded my of the old days
thetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #33
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
The original concept Ulysses...

True.

I personaly like the "steel" and retro look, not to mention ease of roadside repairs.

The Uly is an awsome bike, it's just a matter of personal taste.

All bikes are as road or off road worthy as you want them to be.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #34
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
another sportster convversion

matchanu;I have to agree with you,sportsters are easy to work on and parts are available just about anywhere.You get out of it what you put in it.There are lots of neat bikes out there,be honest with yourself,decide what kind of riding you are going to do.these sporties are alotta fun on gravell and most of the guys i've ridden with on pavement fall back when pushed hard even though their tires are better suited than mine.
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #35
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,264
Nicely done. If I had a Harley, it would look just like that.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #36
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,784
Me likey....
LexLeroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #37
Viking44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
matchanu;I have to agree with you,sportsters are easy to work on and parts are available just about anywhere.You get out of it what you put in it.There are lots of neat bikes out there,be honest with yourself,decide what kind of riding you are going to do.these sporties are alotta fun on gravell and most of the guys i've ridden with on pavement fall back when pushed hard even though their tires are better suited than mine.
Plus you can get your hands on a used Sporty for next to nothing these days. For a song and a dance anyone can have a Scrambler/Flattracker Sporty. If I wasn't 6'6" I'd definitely have a Flattrack style Sporty in the garage.

2007 Buell XB12X Fast Black
2001 HD Fatboy
1981 CB750 Cafe Racer
Viking44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

another sportster conversion

thanks for all the nice comments you guys,I really do appreciate the input!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 AM   #39
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 143
Yet a new game to play...

XLCC; YOU DA MAN!
What a great project. I have a 2004 Sporty converted to 1200, with SE bits, Progressive shocks and Intiminators in the front end.
While not super interested in Adventure riding, I have noticed that the Sporty is happier on a gravel road than many acclaimed adventure bikes.
And yes, I would be happier with more suspension travel. But I do ride slow as necessary.

Harleys off road? Well, Peter and Kay Forwood are still circling the globe on their '94 ElectraGlide with 550 000km, having visited EVERY country in the world - the only vehicle of any kind to have done so.
So maybe we will see an ElectraGlide GS?

Before that we had Jack L Bowers and his mate Frank Smith travelling around Australia in 1929 on a Harley with a sidecar before there were any roads. They actually drew the map between Katherine and Darwin.

Harley may have pursued a different marketing theme since then, but then, and now, they build a serious solidly engineered motorcycle. And I am proud to own one.

Rob
Attached Images

theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #40
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

another sportster conversion

I Have a job in Fort St. John B.C. for the time being and I have been ripping around here checking out some new country.It has been pissing out lately and the backroads turned to gumbo.My rear belt snapped when the pulleys got pluged with mud.this gumbo fills the fenders and my tires looked like slicks.My swingarm and front forks were caked as well.Interesting mud,it turns to a concrete like hardness when dry.I had an extra belt with me.It was a good wake up call but did piss me off 'cause it was getting dark as the sunset was starting to happen.Anyway I got myself going and will be converting to a chain when I get a chance.I'll try to post some pictures of my breakdown adventure when I get a chance.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
theKite
Ulyssean

Quote:
I Have a job in Fort St. John B.C. for the time being and I have been ripping around here checking out some new country.It has been pissing out lately and the backroads turned to gumbo.My rear belt snapped when the pulleys got pluged with mud.this gumbo fills the fenders and my tires looked like slicks.My swingarm and front forks were caked as well.Interesting mud,it turns to a concrete like hardness when dry.I had an extra belt with me.It was a good wake up call but did piss me off 'cause it was getting dark as the sunset was starting to happen.Anyway I got myself going and will be converting to a chain when I get a chance.I'll try to post some pictures of my breakdown adventure when I get a chance.
Check Peter and Kay Forwood's website at forwood-mytrip.shtml. They are the couple who have visited every country in the world on their '94 ElectraGlide Classic, over about 550 000km They seem to get about 50 000km out of a belt.
But they run the belt very slack, to the point where it may actually slip when clogged with mud or sand. There is also an interesting observation onremoving the belt guard!
May not be a good idea, it seems. Might be a better idea the toally enclose it sa BMW have (nearly) done.
Rob
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #42
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
...It is a blast to ride and apply all that torque. To me it feels like a small bike for my size.Keep the shiny side up and let the Harley bashing begin.
Not a Harley fan,but like that...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #43
theKite
Ulyssean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw4748 View Post
Not to push this thread off on a tangent. But anybody have any idea way Harley doesn't have some type of scrambler version of the sportster. And I mean a real respectable dirt road, maybe light jeep trail type of scrambler. So many talented guys have managed to do it on their own, why doesn't Harley. Doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stretch.
Yeah! Called the Buell Ulysses! Oh wait....
Shouldnt have started...
Rob
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #44
Cerk26
ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 23
Mushman would be proud. Well done!
Cerk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #45
xlcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Check Peter and Kay Forwood's website at forwood-mytrip.shtml. They are the couple who have visited every country in the world on their '94 ElectraGlide Classic, over about 550 000km They seem to get about 50 000km out of a belt.
But they run the belt very slack, to the point where it may actually slip when clogged with mud or sand. There is also an interesting observation onremoving the belt guard!
May not be a good idea, it seems. Might be a better idea the toally enclose it sa BMW have (nearly) done.
Rob
thekite,I have been running my belt drive a little on the slack side since I snapped the first belt with no trouble yet.I still are going to switch to a chain ' cause if it breaks again it might not be in as a faverable spot as last time.