Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Still one hell of a nice looking bike.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #62
dirtfinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Priced at a big premium over what you can get a new 09 for though.
dirtfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #63
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
I like your white/black/gray CMike. I'm going to be interested in one of these next year. I just traded my 1200 Adv for an RT, and am going to need something for the gentle gravel and dirt roads that are everywhere around here. Probably put on TKC-80's or maybe Shinku 705's. Maybe an engine guard.

I prefer the tubless to tubed just for ease of patching, and won't get close to bending one of these rims. The older I get, the more I like light and simple.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #64
dirtfinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The cast wheels look nicer.
dirtfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #65
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
ABS now optional. Makes an 09 or 10 left over look even better not to mention the $1500 rebates.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #66
Mike_K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
[...]Engine is a Munich production again. [...]
Do you have a reliable source for this information?

The german motobike-press report that the engine is build in china!?

Cheers, Mike
Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #67
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
2011 engine is built in Germany...bmw are in the process of changing their quality control, and thats part of it.

"
BMW G650GS (2011)

BMW updates the venerable 650 single with new bodywork and a new, made in Germany engine (previous G650GS engines were produced in China), to create a new G650GS. See info and photos of the G650GS in the Winter 2010 BMW Motorcycle Magazine. See G650GS news online by clicking this link."

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #68
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Im getting one on tuesday!! WOoOoo
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #69
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Picked mine up last Friday at Ginas BMW in Iowa City.

rode it out the door and back home, 2 1/2 hr ride in the 40 degree weather.....rain and fog.....but I loved it.

I ordered some hard side boxes (TraX I believe) but other then that I choose not to buy anything else.

Hell, Im a KLR owner......I could have bought another KLR for damn near what those side boxes cost.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #70
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
Grats..Keep us posted on how you like it:)

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #71
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
Grats..Keep us posted on how you like it:)
So far so good.

Ive had a few other thumpers - I wasnt really prepared for how smooth the BMW runs, vastly different then my DR or KLR.

Its soft off the line but once you get it wound up a bit it runs pretty strong. Running down the interstate at 75.......twist the throttle and there is plenty of power to shoot by a car or semi fairly quickly. Granted, its not a sport bike.....but it really runs better then I would suspect a 650cc single to.

Ergos are a little cramped, considering Im 6ft4in and 320lbs.....but not that uncomfortable. Admittedly Im a touring bike rider (Victory Vision) that tools around on the gravel and trails on a KLR on the weekends.....so the riding position was a little "different" then what I was used to. When I first started off on it I was thinking inside of 30 mins I was going to be in pain. At the end of my 2 1/2 hr ride I was just fine. I think I could put in a fairly long day on this bike in relative comfort.

The controls are a little different.....the horn and turn signals are to close together....kept honking during signaling.....but I eventually got used to it. The other controls were better.

This was my first ABS bike....and I was really impressed. I got plenty of time to play with it in the rain. I love it for daily commuting.

However it has NO place on the gravel.....I did quite a few miles of gravel today and the ABS just flat sucks. I had completely forgot it until I tried to scrub off some speed coming into a corner.......well SHIT that aint going to happen......and off thru the ditch I went. In retrospect I should have know that it would suck on the gravel.....not sure what I was thinking.

.......and the Tourance tires are great on the road and fairly decent on the gravel/dirt roads (far better then I expected really)......but the huge mud hole in my back yard was a bit much to ask of them.

......I really knew it would be......but it looked like fun....and it was. Brand new bike with less than 200 miles on it and I ended up burying it to the frame.....but I had fun doing it.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #72
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
I picked mine up on Tuesday..only difference to yours is red seat,

Ordered engine bars and bashplate too but no stock here in Aus for another 2 weeks, also ordered high screen but its months away apparently.

I'm finding searching for farkles frustrating in that there are 2 f650's (800 and single) and a lot of the original F650 gear will fit this newer model, Touratech Australia dont even list a G650gs .
Touratech australia have just started populating their site. I spoke with a bloke from Touratech uk who mentioned that lots of g650gs gear is still in R&D hence why it's not listed.
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #73
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
"However it has NO place on the gravel.....I did quite a few miles of gravel today and the ABS just flat sucks. I had completely forgot it until I tried to scrub off some speed coming into a corner.......well SHIT that aint going to happen......and off thru the ditch I went. In retrospect I should have know that it would suck on the gravel.....not sure what I was thinking."

Turn the ABS off, the 2011 can still do that can't they? My '10 has a switch to turn it off and then its just old school in the dirt.
Congratulations on the new bike, the new ones look great.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #74
MarkWAau
Do they serve Pinot?

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDig View Post
"However it has NO place on the gravel.....I did quite a few miles of gravel today and the ABS just flat sucks. I had completely forgot it until I tried to scrub off some speed coming into a corner.......well SHIT that aint going to happen......and off thru the ditch I went. In retrospect I should have know that it would suck on the gravel.....not sure what I was thinking."

Turn the ABS off, the 2011 can still do that can't they? My '10 has a switch to turn it off and then its just old school in the dirt.
Congratulations on the new bike, the new ones look great.
Yep, you can turn off ABS on the 11.
MarkWAau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #75
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
2011 G650GS Low seat?

Anyone got a picture of a BMW G650GS low seat?

Mrs P. just took delivery of her new G650GS/FL and it's got the black/grey seat and we though the low seat option was for a black one........!

Her new bike is about an inch taller than her old 05 F650GS/FL and we're having to look at Koubalinks to get her bike low enough(she's only 5ft tall)

Other than that this 'wee' bike is great and the new styling/alloy wheels really freshens things up a bit....!

Thanks FP.