ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #16
gs dakar
live to ride

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
WTF? Where did that come from? Fred, I'll be in Hope Friday July 1st at about 8am on a fully loaded Green KLR. Get the keys from your wife, take the shackles off your testicles, get your bike out of mothballs, and put up or shut up.

I second that....thats now two challenges in the last two days...about time to amp it up
gs dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #17
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 969
Hmmm, I might be up for this, if I can get things in order to leave for MotoGP on the 4th.

Anyone else notice that Fred's "challenge" postings seem to be late-night-oriented?

"hiccup"
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #18
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
yeah, liquid courage fer sure.....

gentry screwed with this post 06-15-2005 at 05:10 PM
gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
FYI, a few of us were out monkeying around in this area yesterday.

A really nice loop is to go almost to Darrington on 530 and turn left at Swede Heaven and take FR 18 over the ridge towards Concrete. The turnoff onto FR 18 is a little obscure, a climbing right turn on a gravel road a few miles after the turnoff from 530, but from there it is easy navigation. You will "tee" into FR 17 about 2/3rds into the ride; we took the right which is Finney Creek Road and goes to near Concrete. If you turn left, you may be able to head toward Sedro on FR 17, although Garmin's City Select shows it ending a few miles W and it generally has been reliable on showing which roads are passable. (More on this below.)

Once in Concrete, you can follow the S side of the river back to near Sedro and then ride nice pavement back roads to Lake Cavanaugh and back to 530.

BTW, we tried to find a way into Day Lake, but it appears this is all private tree farm country. There is a turnoff going NE a few miles W of the north end of Lake Cavanaugh, but it is well-gated - if you worked, you might be able to get around it, but that would probably be risky. We found an easier to bypass gate a few miles back toward the lake, but it petered out into slash/burn areas. This looks like a very active tree farm and probably not a good idea to be back there monkeying around.

BTW, I had both Roads and Rec, Topo, and City Select loaded on my 60CS GPS and I once again confirmed that City Select just has better data on showing what roads are truly passable. Both R&R and Topo showed roads going through the Day Lake area, but their road data is so out of date, it doesn't reflect any of the current closures. City Select, OTOH, showed exactly the roads that were passable and didn't show any of the closed, private roads.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #20
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
FYI, a few of us were out monkeying around in this area yesterday.

A really nice loop is to go almost to Darrington on 530 and turn left at Swede Heaven and take FR 18 over the ridge towards Concrete. The turnoff onto FR 18 is a little obscure, a climbing right turn on a gravel road a few miles after the turnoff from 530, but from there it is easy navigation. You will "tee" into FR 17 about 2/3rds into the ride; we took the right which is Finney Creek Road and goes to near Concrete. If you turn left, you may be able to head toward Sedro on FR 17, although Garmin's City Select shows it ending a few miles W and it generally has been reliable on showing which roads are passable. (More on this below.)

Once in Concrete, you can follow the S side of the river back to near Sedro and then ride nice pavement back roads to Lake Cavanaugh and back to 530.

BTW, we tried to find a way into Day Lake, but it appears this is all private tree farm country. There is a turnoff going NE a few miles W of the north end of Lake Cavanaugh, but it is well-gated - if you worked, you might be able to get around it, but that would probably be risky. We found an easier to bypass gate a few miles back toward the lake, but it petered out into slash/burn areas. This looks like a very active tree farm and probably not a good idea to be back there monkeying around.

BTW, I had both Roads and Rec, Topo, and City Select loaded on my 60CS GPS and I once again confirmed that City Select just has better data on showing what roads are truly passable. Both R&R and Topo showed roads going through the Day Lake area, but their road data is so out of date, it doesn't reflect any of the current closures. City Select, OTOH, showed exactly the roads that were passable and didn't show any of the closed, private roads.

- Mark
Thanks for the info. Key word: Northwest Forestroad.