No 708 81.57%
Voters: 868. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #91
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post

Side debate, the question is where is the line between you do not have the right to bother me, versus you have to put up with some annoyances living in a society.
There isn't one.

Some will complain about anything louder than a stock Goldwing, Some think a top fuel dragster is just right.

I know it's a rare commodity but a little common sence could go a long way. Straight pipes and open cans aren't going to win you any good citizenship medals.
If your exhaust is louder than stock, be gentile with the throttle when around people or when folks are sleeping.
If your exhaust is stock or slightly louder then you don't have to worry about it.

There is a time and place for everything, and good manners is just treating people with the same respect that you would want to be treated with, not that tough to figure out.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #92
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I still don't know why the ATGATT Nazis don't have loud pipes. They won't risk riding to the grocery store with out armor, but something else that may help them once in awhile is bad.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #93
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
There isn't one.
Thats pretty arrogant.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #94
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
I still don't know why the ATGATT Nazis don't have loud pipes. They won't risk riding to the grocery store with out armor, but something else that may help them once in awhile is bad.
This argument is senseless. Trying to link ATGATT with loud pipes is misleading at best. Choosing protective clothing does not aggravate anyone unlucky enough to be within earshot. If loud pipes were truly a safety thing then the same riders might actually use other safety technology, like full face helmets, or decent riding gear. But sadly no this just doesn't seem to fit the "Look at me, I'm a badass" image they are trying so hard to project. It's all a bunch of poser BS.
This is not an anti-Harley position by the way. I find loud pipes and throttle blipping just as obnoxious on sport bikes. I would also make fun of a GS rider with a half helmet or black leather chaps. But hey, if someone really wants to look like Freddy Mercury, who am I to deny them that right? :ymca
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 09:44 PM
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #95
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
ATGATT is taking control of your own safety. By yourself, for yourself. Doesn't make a change to anybody else's life.

Loud pipes is annoying for everybody around and induce a false security feeling, counting on a change from somebody else's behavior just because they suddenly hear you (if they actually hear you anyway).`

They have eyes to notice you on the road and this doesn't prevent them to make a left-turn right in your face so you really think that some noise will change a thing?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #96
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
ATGATT is taking control of your own safety. By yourself, for yourself. Doesn't make a change to anybody else's life.

Loud pipes is annoying for everybody around and induce a false security feeling, counting on a change on somebody else's behavior just because they suddenly hear you (if they actually hear you anyway).`

They have eyes to notice you on the road and this doesn't prevent them to make a left-turn right in your face so you really think that some noise will change a thing?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #97
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvycolt45 View Post
The next person that uses the excuse "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" had better be wearing a full face helmet, fully armored gloves, boots, pants and jacket all in a high visibility color.
Or else what?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #98
Mark38
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Pass Left, Drive Right and you would have avoided the whole problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
First time if happend to me.

Been riding on the steet now cummulative for 15 years but only consistently for the last 11. Ten of those 11 years have been on HDs with louder (but bafled) pipes. Picked up a Triumph Tiger 1050 6 months ago.

Today while riding the Triumph on the interstate in the far right lane running about 3-5 mph faster than those in the left lane, I had a guy in a mini van change lanes right into me when I was even with his rear bumper....his blind spot.

I hit the brakes hard and when he was about 3/4 into my lane he saw me and jerked the wheel and moved back to the right lane and jestured that he was sorry as if he didn't see me.

That has never happend while riding the louder Harley and I posted earlier in this thread where I as a auto driver have done the same a few times and felt like crap for doing it to another bike rider.

Do loud pips save lives? Dunno!

Do loud pipes get one noticed? More often than not!

Are noticed bikes less likely to be run off the road by cars? I have my opinion and you all have yours!
Mark38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #99
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,243
Loud pipes don't save lives ... that's the job of the emergency room staff !

It is the frequency of the sound that alerts the prey to the danger. Low booming sounds are hardwired into the human psyche to be the sound of danger and increase the alert response. Higher pitched sounds tend to blend into the background noise.

Not something I'd rely on to save me bacon. I'd rather use my brain than someone elses
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #100
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I would also make fun of a GS rider with a half helmet or black leather chaps. But hey, if someone really wants to look like Freddy Mercury, who am I to deny them that right? :ymca
I wore chaps and 3/4 to the Arctic Circle. Had the chaps on the entire time I was in AK and YT, just to stay warm. But I wasn't on a GS, so I guess its ok.

My point was if loud pipes even add a small amount of safety, then I think they would fit in the ATGATT.

People keep getting off track, bringing up complacency or pissing people off.

I am curious what people said about muscle cars back in the 60s and 70s. I suspect we whine more now.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #101
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark38 View Post
Pass Left, Drive Right and you would have avoided the whole problem
DUH.

I screwed up that post. I was in the far left lane passing not the right lane. I corrected myself futher down in the post where I said the guy in the van swerved back into the right lane.

Should of read it more closely before posting, or drink less before posting.

Thanks for point it out, now corrected as it should have read.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #102
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Thats pretty arrogant.
Arrogant?

It's the truth, it's a question of perception, everybodys perception is different. What sounds good to me may be intolerable noise to you.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #103
Gigolo Jason
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Loud pipes scare the deer. They run the other way , which for me, where I live, is a good thing. So I am voting yes on this pole.

GJ
Gigolo Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #104
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
other methods

I wonder how loud the pipes will have to be for the car driver to hear them, especially if the windows are wound up? I suppose if you do lot of riding in the city, the loud pipes might save your skin, car next to you might notice you before taking your space. I've got the same opinion about the horn and loud pipes, i use other methods to stay out of harms way.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #105
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Arrogant?

It's the truth, it's a question of perception, everybodys perception is different. What sounds good to me may be intolerable noise to you.
To say there is no debate, is arrogant. There is alway room for discussion.