User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #331
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,341
Nx650

I worked on the NX650 stand today and moved the balance point back. I also made an adjustment to make sure the bike will sit level when on the stand. I will try and do a test fit next week to double check everything.

Mike
Old 04-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #332
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I worked on the NX650 stand today and moved the balance point back. I also made an adjustment to make sure the bike will sit level when on the stand. I will try and do a test fit next week to double check everything.

Mike
Cool, my brother just bought an NX and the first thing he mentioned was he wished it had a centerstand, I am sure gonna let him know about this,

CM , how long till you think the finished product for the NX is ready for production.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #333
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Cool, my brother just bought an NX and the first thing he mentioned was he wished it had a centerstand, I am sure gonna let him know about this,

CM , how long till you think the finished product for the NX is ready for production.
If I can get a hold of Norby101 to test fit it next week. They will be ready immediately after it checks out.

Mike
Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #334
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,263
Quote:
If I can get a hold of Norby101 to test fit it next week. They will be ready immediately after it checks out.

Mike
Ok CM , post up when they are ready to ship and I will let him know.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #335
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Stew,

I wish we would have noticed that when you were here. It would have been a simple matter to grind off the material to provide more clearance...

Mike
Mike,

No worries at all about not noticing that small interference when we were installing the centerstand. That's one of those things that it just takes the right situation to run across, and that's exactly what prototypes are for. And you are correct - it's a simple fix to grind off the material to allow clearance. I'm just not sure what the implications may be for future production of stands. Here's a picture of what I hacked away last night:

It looks like about 1/4 - 3/8" was removed from the deepest part of the cut (credit is due to Odell's IPA for the poorly staged photo). With my new HyperPro progressive springs on (NOTE: slightly different diameter from stock spring) there is almost 1mm clearance between the spring and the centerstand top plate when the shock is fully unloaded. I think this stand is about there! It served it's purpose well as the TA was up for some needed maintenance.

Thanks again for all of your support, Mike, and for your willingness to send a prototype on such a journey!

More to follow...
Stew
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #336
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Mike,

No worries at all about not noticing that small interference when we were installing the centerstand. That's one of those things that it just takes the right situation to run across, and that's exactly what prototypes are for. And you are correct - it's a simple fix to grind off the material to allow clearance. I'm just not sure what the implications may be for future production of stands. Here's a picture of what I hacked away last night:

It looks like about 1/4 - 3/8" was removed from the deepest part of the cut (credit is due to Odell's IPA for the poorly staged photo). With my new HyperPro progressive springs on (NOTE: slightly different diameter from stock spring) there is almost 1mm clearance between the spring and the centerstand top plate when the shock is fully unloaded. I think this stand is about there! It served it's purpose well as the TA was up for some needed maintenance.

Thanks again for all of your support, Mike, and for your willingness to send a prototype on such a journey!

More to follow...
Stew
Stew,

I am glad that you were able to make it work. It looks like I need to just change a couple of dimensions. Should not be a problem. I am glad this is identified and will make sure there are no issues with production units.

Have a great trip. Your link was broken when I tried it.

Mike
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #337
csustewy
Motojero

Mike, I'm glad to hear that the change in the top plate won't be too much of a hassle. Let me know if you need any other info for that.

And thanks for the heads up on the blog link... now fixed (I believe)...

Take it easy,
Stew
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #338
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

NX650 Centerstand

Norby101 was nice enough to let me test the stand again on his bike. It worked well and I was able to get the balance point back into the correct position. I will increase the length of the pressdown about an inch to make it easier to get up on the stand. There is plenty of room on this bike to do that.

Here are a few pictures on the stand on Steve's bike.

Mike
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #339
csustewy
Motojero

TA centerstand in action

So...we've had a couple of chances to use the centerstand, and will continue to test it over the next couple of days for a tire swap in Henderson, NV. I will post info on that soon, but for now here's a brief update...

Here's a picture of Mike or Stew oiling and adjusting chain tension (yes, 2 names to add some confusion...many friends nicknamed him Stew from his last name, but with an upcoming trip to Spanish speaking lands, he's trying to convert back to his given name of Michael / Mike for easier translation...).

We removed the GIVI trunk before lifting the TA up onto the stand, but left our 2 saddlebags in place, as well as the tool tubes and engine guard bags. Each saddle bag probably weighs ~15 lbs. The bike went up on the stand with more effort than sans luggage, but it still wasn't too bad. I was standing on the foot while lifting and Jill was helping on the other side. The bike eased onto the stand and stayed put just fine. With some weight in the tool tubes on the front end, the rear wheel was conveniently raised for the maintenance.

I will keep posting some updates specific to the centerstand in this thread. You are also welcome to follow along with our Ride Report here.

Thanks again, Mike, for all of your hard work in getting this centerstand moving towards production!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #340
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Mike,

It must be nice to have Jill to help get the bike on the stand with the load you have. I glad that you don't have to take everything off to work it.

I am enjoying your RR and glad that you got a chance to post. Cathy and I have spent a lot of time in Utah and your pictures have me anxious to get back there soon.

Thank you for the update on your use of the stand.

Mike
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #341
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,089
where can I get a stand for my 97 620e KTM duke?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #342
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne View Post
where can I get a stand for my 97 620e KTM duke?
I don't have an answer. Maybe ask in "Orange Crush"?

Mike
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #343
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Quote:
I don't have an answer. Maybe ask in "Orange Crush"?

Mike
lol, right? Nope seems that area is only for 990 owners. I thought the same thing, orange=KTM, but noooooooo.

Sorta exciting having an older bike and hunting down parts.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #344
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne View Post
lol, right? Nope seems that area is only for 990 owners. I thought the same thing, orange=KTM, but noooooooo.

Sorta exciting having an older bike and hunting down parts.
I did a Google search for your stand. There seems to be a OEM one made for the bike. It listed for $244. Is the stand no longer available?

It appears to be a very simple design. I would guess that if you can get some information as to how long to make it a welding shop could make one for you a lot cheaper than $244. It appears the mounting tabs for the stand is already on the bike. There can't be more than $20 in material for that stand.

http://www.petriemotorsports.com/pag...015%2f08180013 This is actually for a 98 620 SX. Same frame?

I hope that you can find something that will work for you.

Mike
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #345
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Quote:
I did a Google search for your stand. There seems to be a OEM one made for the bike. It listed for $244. Is the stand no longer available?

It appears to be a very simple design. I would guess that if you can get some information as to how long to make it a welding shop could make one for you a lot cheaper than $244. It appears the mounting tabs for the stand is already on the bike. There can't be more than $20 in material for that stand.

http://www.petriemotorsports.com/pag...015%2f08180013 This is actually for a 98 620 SX. Same frame?

I hope that you can find something that will work for you.

Mike
I have emails out to every KTM related site on earth to find out if the frame is the same as any other model. It is #69 of 500, and I have yet to find even one site that references my specific bike. I am hoping the 620e frame is the same as what KTM lists as "1997 LC4". Sadly though there appears to be 4 sizes of LC4 in 1997.
It's a learning curve for me after a lifetime of Kawasakis and Suzukis. Thanks for your help brother.