ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Another one down in Seattle.

Chris Dodge @ Speakeasy networks (I didnt know him personally but I knew of him and have seen him riding for quite sometime around downtown) was apparently killed on his bike. Something "Police Involved" but Im vague on the details. I didnt know him but hopefully he's riding in a better place now.

Its odd that working all over downtown I get to know bikes and where they park over the years. I know some of the riders, some by meeting and some only by sight but they become part of the familiar landscape as I move from building to building during the work day. When one disappears I always notice. Where did that Honda go etc? Some people move, others stop riding but the worst is when I find out the rider and their bike are gone permanently.

It seems this city is getting more and more dangerous as even very well trained and experienced riders are going down and not getting back up again...

I think congested traffic, crappy road surfaces, utterly impotent police presence and aggressive and petty drivers are starting to really take their toll. Especially for such a small city as Seattle.

Ride safe out there guys. Now that Ive met Y'all (or at least many of you) it sure would suck if something happened to any of ya..... Ill try keep shiny side up too!

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
It seems this city is getting more and more dangerous as even very well trained and experienced riders are going down and not getting back up again...

Sad news, My he RIP

I must admit, I have ridden all over a lot of this country and I can truthfully say Seattle is one of the very worst cities to navigate from one end to the other on the highway system for a nonresident like me.

There are no lane restrictions for trucks, lanes end and start on both sides of ya for almost no apparent reason. Within about a 1 mile stretch you can be in the left hand fast lane and find yurself in the right hand slow lane and you never changed lanes. This chaotic lane merger system is repeated over and over again from Olympia all the way out of Everett north. I would rather ride through, LA, the Bay area, Salt Lake and a host of others rather than Seattle.

The PNW is beautiful, I will give ya that.

Once again, sad news about another death
Rad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,105
It does make you wonder what the Police Involved part of the deal is all about. Watching the Rag mag on tv last night there are some people out there that don't use the best judgement in how they ride and just some of the riders I see when I'm on the highway that don't seem to use a lot of brain cells when there riding. It's always sad to hear about another brother going down.

RIP
Chris Dodge.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
It does make you wonder what the Police Involved part of the deal is all about. Watching the Rag mag on tv last night there are some people out there that don't use the best judgement in how they ride and just some of the riders I see when I'm on the highway that don't seem to use a lot of brain cells when there riding. It's always sad to hear about another brother going down.

RIP
Chris Dodge.

yeah, its an education issue all around I think. And an attitude change.

As far as the local police go....well.... Just the other night I was in heavy traffic on the freeway, doin 35mph in the HOV lane. Careful and minding my own business when a cruiser tore down the lane next to me with lights on at about 70mph. No siren. Just about wiped off car mirrors and almost sideswiped me. Gravel and crap flying everywhere. I was PISSED. about 10 miles down the Freeway there is a minor fender bender (cars) and three cruisers there. One of them being the wanker that almost killed me. I seriously thought about pulling over and having words with the cop... Why cause a fatality on the way to a fender bender?? The cops here are so impotent though that I didnt see the point and just counted myself lucky I wasnt part of the evening news.

For some reason this summer seems a lot worse than usual....

Idiot bikers dont help people's good will towards riders either..

Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
seatowner
holdin down the 206...

Oddometer: 9
I think this is the guy that got hit by a cop car out in North Bend. Cop hit his head and doesn't remember what happened. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

What bike did he have? I am down around belltown at least a couple times a week, and often hang out at the Lava Lounge. I am sure I have seen his bike.
seatowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
tsombrero
Beautiful Snowflake

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatowner
What bike did he have? I am down around belltown at least a couple times a week, and often hang out at the Lava Lounge. I am sure I have seen his bike.
I'm curious too. I've never met Chris, but I work in Belltown and probably know his bike.

Gentry, how did you hear about this? I couldn't find anything on Seattle Times or elsewhere.

Sad news. Best wishes to his family and friends.
Part of the Problem since 1970
tsombrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Very sorry to hear this. I wish my best to his family and friends.

If the news report and this thread are talking about the same thing, I don't see where this accident speaks to any aspects of the dangers of riding in Seattle traffic. The accident in the news report happened at 12:30 in the morning 30 miles W of Seattle near Snoqualmie at a little-used exit which probably had no other traffic. And I doubt it is a coincidence that a sheriff cruiser and a motorcycle happened to meet at the same remote interstate exit in the middle of the night.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsombrero
I'm curious too. I've never met Chris, but I work in Belltown and probably know his bike.

Gentry, how did you hear about this? I couldn't find anything on Seattle Times or elsewhere.

Sad news. Best wishes to his family and friends.
Hey, I *think* its a blue suzuki. Im having one of those days.... parked 2nd and lenora area I believe.

I work as an IT Consultant and work with most of the ISP's around here. Ive been working with Speakeasy longer than most of the people that work there so I get to know whats going on even though Im not on the "inside." (Thank god).
I didnt know the guy but I knew of him - high-end Sys admin. RIP

Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #9
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Very sorry to hear this. I wish my best to his family and friends.

If the news report and this thread are talking about the same thing, I don't see where this accident speaks to any aspects of the dangers of riding in Seattle traffic. The accident in the news report happened at 12:30 in the morning 30 miles W of Seattle near Snoqualmie at a little-used exit which probably had no other traffic. And I doubt it is a coincidence that a sheriff cruiser and a motorcycle happened to meet at the same remote interstate exit in the middle of the night.

- Mark

Agreed - I dont know where it was. I didnt know him though and I didnt know the last two guys taken down on aurora downtown... From my experience Id definitely not give the benefit of the doubt to the cop or the rider......

All Im sayin' is too many are dying or getting hurt for stupid reasons. This country will freak out about "Spotted Owls" and crap but not teach their kids to drive properly so they dont kill people at some point in their driving lifetime.....