Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #6241
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcontender View Post
. My questions is, there is a rectangular opening above the air filter (air box) and I found my CDI box sitting inside the air box. It has two holes to mount it and I have no idea as to where it mounts properly. Can anyone help me with this issue. I don't have a picture as I discovered it last night and left for work out of state for a few days.

Also, is there a cover for that opening other than the bottom of the seat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Congrats on the new bike!

CDI box or voltage rectifier/regulator? CDI controller is a plastic box, rec/reg is metal with fins on.

There is supposed to be a rubber snorkel thing in the hole on top of the airbox. The rec/reg usually sits on top of the battery bolted to the metal bracket that holds the batt in. At a guess I'd say it's that, & that it has been moved to accomodate a taller battery - IIRC there is a taller batt that is much more common than the proper one.

If you check out one of the online parts dealers like Munn Racing you will find drawings with the part listings that can give a good idea of how it's supposed to go together.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #6242
Da Prez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I have a '07, but I don't think they would change this over the model years.On mine, the box bolts above the battery. To get at the battery terminals I have to unbolt it and swing it out of the way.

I have a small "snorkel" that fits into the airbox opening on mine.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #6243
Topcontender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post

CDI box or voltage rectifier/regulator? CDI controller is a plastic box, rec/reg is metal with fins on.

There is supposed to be a rubber snorkel thing in the hole on top of the airbox. The rec/reg usually sits on top of the battery bolted to the metal bracket that holds the batt in. At a guess I'd say it's that, & that it has been moved to accomodate a taller battery - IIRC there is a taller batt that is much more common than the proper one.

If you check out one of the online parts dealers like Munn Racing you will find drawings with the part listings that can give a good idea of how it's supposed to go together.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks!!! Yeah Im super excited! The rec / reg - metal bracket you describe is missing and the unit was tucked into the airbox. Now, there is that rectangular hole with the seat above it. Am I missing that snorkle as you describe?? I just have an airbox with a hole which could be an issue I would imagine.. I really appreciate all the help!!

Topcontender screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 07:29 PM
Topcontender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #6244
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcontender View Post
Thanks!!! Yeah Im super excited! The rec / reg - metal bracket you describe is missing and the unit was tucked into the airbox. Now, there is that rectangular hole with the seat above it. Am I missing that snorkle as you describe?? I just have an airbox with a hole which could be an issue I would imagine.. I really appreciate all the help!!
You need to go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

It has all the answers about missing snorkels, holes drilled in slides and lots of other stuff.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #6245
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Hi!

Just checking in.
I'm going to buy a 2005 LC4 ADV tomorrow:)
It has some minor things, like a leaking base gasket and a hole on the silencer, but seems okay overal. It's a little down on the power compared to my 950ADV, but is way lighter, and hope that'll make a difference offroad:)
Fun to come:)

Old 05-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #6246
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Hi!

Just checking in.
It has some minor things, like a leaking base gasket and a hole on the silencer, but seems okay overal. It's a little down on the power compared to my 950ADV, but is way lighter, and hope that'll make a difference offroad:)

when you replace the base gasket check your rings-mine were brittle and one broke whichwas fine as I got a top end rebuild out of it
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #6247
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
when you replace the base gasket check your rings-mine were brittle and one broke whichwas fine as I got a top end rebuild out of it
It has 8k miles in it.. hope it's not that serious..
I mean I don't want to rebuild the engine at 8k miles:)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #6248
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Hi!

Just checking in.

Sweet ......

Yes, it's going to be down on the power compared to a 950adv. I had a 990adv along with my 640adv ..... and I'll tell you what. What I would take the 640 on over the 990 was drastically different. I wound up selling the 990 because out of all the bikes I had, it really didn't have a place in the herd for me. Yes, true, I've seen others do amazing shit with 950s and 990s, but that's not me.

At 8k, you should be totally fine - and it's most likely just the gasket.

As long as you realize that she's a 640 single, and not a 950 twin, you WILL totally appreciate what she has to offer in the terms of handling different terrains.

That's my .02 cents ........ and congrats on the purchase.

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #6249
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post

Cheers
Clint
You can also go to www.ktmworld.com - they have OEM microfiche pics that you can go through to see what goes where, per se. You can select year / bike / sections, to look at it all ....

And also ...... congrats as well on the bike!

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #6250
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
It has 8k miles in it.. hope it's not that serious..
I mean I don't want to rebuild the engine at 8k miles:)
not saying you have to, but you do need to pull a lot apart to replace the gasket and it's worth having a look while you do. The new ones are much better quality. Just saying there was a little boo boo when mine was being done which resulted in new rings. All good
Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #6251
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
not saying you have to, but you do need to pull a lot apart to replace the gasket and it's worth having a look while you do. The new ones are much better quality. Just saying there was a little boo boo when mine was being done which resulted in new rings. All good
Ah I see.. Well maybe I'll let them KTM dealers do this one then:) Hoping that if they screw something up, they'll fix it - they've told me, it's "only" a 200 bucks fix - which is almost free if I compare it to the LC8 world - not sure they would pull the tanks from the LC8 for 200 bucks:) Anyway.. I'm hoping it's only a little leak (bike is quite dirty, so it must took time for it to develope this amount of oil over the base.. It's more like a thin film, than a major leak), and that I could get away with it for this season, and fix it only at winter time.

Sumi screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 10:40 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #6252
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Sweet ......

Yes, it's going to be down on the power compared to a 950adv. I had a 990adv along with my 640adv ..... and I'll tell you what. What I would take the 640 on over the 990 was drastically different. I wound up selling the 990 because out of all the bikes I had, it really didn't have a place in the herd for me. Yes, true, I've seen others do amazing shit with 950s and 990s, but that's not me.

At 8k, you should be totally fine - and it's most likely just the gasket.

As long as you realize that she's a 640 single, and not a 950 twin, you WILL totally appreciate what she has to offer in the terms of handling different terrains.

That's my .02 cents ........ and congrats on the purchase.

G.
Thanks!

Well thats exactly what I'm afraid of.. That the 950 will became useless...
:(

But! I'm planning to use the LC4 only offroad and take trips with my dad.. Him on the LC4 So maybe the good 'ol LC8 will still have it's place in the stable. Actualy I'm quite addicted to it's throttle response and power, so I don't think I'll like the LC4 that much more. Well.. time will tell:)
And what if so?! Still could go trade it for an SE, or SM, or RC8 (or a GS nah.. just kiddin':))
Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #6253
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Ah I see.. Well maybe I'll let them KTM dealers do this one then:) Hoping that if they screw something up, they'll fix it - they've told me, it's "only" a 200 bucks fix - which is almost free if I compare it to the LC8 world - not sure they would pull the tanks from the LC8 for 200 bucks:) Anyway.. I'm hoping it's only a little leak (bike is quite dirty, so it must took time for it to develope this amount of oil over the base.. It's more like a thin film, than a major leak), and that I could get away with it for this season, and fix it only at winter time.
my mechanic only charged me $360 for the full rebuild, I was pretty happy with that.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #6254
MCLARDIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckingfastered View Post
my bike , with many mods .

great looking bike would like to see some more pictures looks brand new
MCLARDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #6255
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,389
Question 2001 KTM Adventure 640

Changed the oil last night and put the recommended 1.9 liters of oil.

It's way above the sight glass on the side of the engine.

When the engine was rebuilt I put the new clutch cover with oil window on her.

What is the recommended oil capacity for a 2001? Did full filter change as well because she has 600 miles on the new rebuild.

The magnets weren't as bad as before the rebuild but not as good as what I have seen on others. She is still getting broke in so I won't worry till perhaps the next oil change?!?

I will take my syringe and suck out the oil to get the proper level. I just think it's stupid to waste $18 a quart oil!

Previous owner never gave me the proper owners manual. Will have to order a new one.

J
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote