Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #46
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
The real savings are that it's not very appealing to pull over an old guy on a scooter, but a young buck on a sport bike, now, that's a target!
You missed the point I was making, the man was selling a repaired, fixed up Burgman that was wrecked. When any motorcycle, scooter, or ATV is wrecked the insurance co won't spend the money to repair it cause the cost to repair exceeds what its worth, so they "Total It" when its "Totaled" that means the title is gone, kappoot! gone forever! The VIN Number is registed with the NTSFA as a "Total"
It can be repaired then inspected and if that inspection passes the state will issue a "R" Title"
So it doesn't matter if you're an old man with a perfect saftey record, when he gets it insured the insurance co is going to know by the Vin Number it is an "R" Title and they will hike the cost to insure it, by a great amount! I wouldn't be surprized if the cost to insure it would be between $2000 to $3000 per year.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #47
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
You missed the point I was making, the man was selling a repaired, fixed up Burgman that was wrecked. When any motorcycle, scooter, or ATV is wrecked the insurance co won't spend the money to repair it cause the cost to repair exceeds what its worth, so they "Total It" when its "Totaled" that means the title is gone, kappoot! gone forever! The VIN Number is registed with the NTSFA as a "Total"
It can be repaired then inspected and if that inspection passes the state will issue a "R" Title"
So it doesn't matter if you're an old man with a perfect saftey record, when he gets it insured the insurance co is going to know by the Vin Number it is an "R" Title and they will hike the cost to insure it, by a great amount! I wouldn't be surprized if the cost to insure it would be between $2000 to $3000 per year.
That does sound ugly. I hadn't thought of that, but thanks for explaining. I'm feeling a kind of instant chill. Well, that's OK, I got a lot of irons in the fire. Hey, you just saved me $5K+++, thanks, bro!
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #48
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Another thing to consider is that not everyone wants to wrestle around 900 pounds of motorcycle. To me, even the Burgman is heavier than I want to deal with, but is is still much less than 900 pounds. Bigger is not always better. BTW, I have ridden a many Harleys including a Full dresser and a 1500 Goldwing. They might be good for cruising on the interstate but riding on the interstate is not my idea of fun. If I wanted to ride cross country 2 up I consider a Burgman over a Gold Wing or ANY Harley. Of course I have never ridden a Burgman so I'm just guessing.

I see what you mean. Yea I got to admit that my Shadow 700 is much harder to manuver at low speeds and especially in the garage compared to me Elite 150! And its not that big.

I'd pefer a touring motorcycle for cross country trips over a Bugman or Silverwing personally, but thats just me.

I've never ridden a Burgman or Silverwing either, but I've ridden cruisers and touring bikes. I like them, but around town your right 900+ pounds is a lot.

And riding style makes a difference. You don't enjoy cruising on the interstate all day long, so a 900 pound motorcycle makes no sense for you. A maxi scooter is capable of this AND around town, so it'd probably be better in your case.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I see what you mean. Yea I got to admit that my Shadow 700 is much harder to manuver at low speeds and especially in the garage compared to me Elite 150! And its not that big.

I'd pefer a touring motorcycle for cross country trips over a Bugman or Silverwing personally, but thats just me.

I've never ridden a Burgman or Silverwing either, but I've ridden cruisers and touring bikes. I like them, but around town your right 900+ pounds is a lot.

And riding style makes a difference. You don't enjoy cruising on the interstate all day long, so a 900 pound motorcycle makes no sense for you. A maxi scooter is capable of this AND around town, so it'd probably be better in your case.
Like most scooters, it feel so much lighter than a comparable motorcycle, because the weight is very low. I had no problem at all popping it up on the center stand.

Time and again I hear people say they would take the burgman 650 over their goldwing or electroglide. But I wouldn't be surprised that those other bikes could carry more stuff for two people. Side bags and a top box are going to store more than under the seat and a top box. But who wants all that crap along anyway, especially if you are going alone.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #50
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Time and again I hear people say they would take the burgman 650 over their goldwing or electroglide. But I wouldn't be surprised that those other bikes could carry more stuff for two people. Side bags and a top box are going to store more than under the seat and a top box..
Oh no they won't, do the sums and you'll be surprised how close the numbers are. Sadly the panniers on most big tourers are an exercise in styling rather than good capacity.

You can also easily add panniers to a Burgman but there is no way you can add 50+ litres of underseat storage to a Goldwing.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #51
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
You can also easily add panniers to a Burgman but there is no way you can add 50+ litres of underseat storage to a Goldwing.
True ya can but they get a bit wide for lane splitting then
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #52
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,545
It all depends on what goldwing your talking about. The original 75-79 Gl1000 is far more comfortable if you re a tall guy then any Bergman I ve sat on . There 700 pounds which is a little more then the 650 burgam. Parts are still out there. Cheaper then a Bergman at less then 1500 bucks for an ok one. Cheaper insurance here as a classic. I love scooters but also love the original goldwing .
Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #53
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
True ya can but they get a bit wide for lane splitting then
Yeah, but we're not talking trikes Tromper.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #54
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Laugh

Haven't measured it, but if I recall correctly Ledude on the burgman forums uses a couple of Bestem top boxes as side cases. I have one of those so I know the size. With those on the side of the burgman & a little extra for bracketing I think it'd be a lot closer than ya think..
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #55
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I don't know if the same thing happens to you Burgman owners, but why is it the crotch rocket riders always want to race me when I am riding my scooter?
Are scooters a threat to them?
Is it an easy victory?
They want to show off proving their crotch rocket is faster?
They think we are beginners and we will be impressed by the riding skill of the crotch rocket riders?
My scooter looks like a crotch rocket?

do you Burgman riders ever come up to a group of Harley ridrers and one of the women passengers is complaining about how uncomfortable she is sitting on the back of a Harley and do you speak up and suggest that she can ride on the back of your Burgman saying she would be much more comfortable?
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #56
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
It all depends on what goldwing your talking about. The original 75-79 Gl1000 is far more comfortable if you re a tall guy then any Bergman I ve sat on . There 700 pounds which is a little more then the 650 burgam. Parts are still out there. Cheaper then a Bergman at less then 1500 bucks for an ok one. Cheaper insurance here as a classic. I love scooters but also love the original goldwing .
So you can imagine what a smug git I am owning a 1981 Plain Jane GL1100 and a 650 Burgman Executive.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote