User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #121
bumpathump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Mag -

As the owner of a red '91 VX with 82K+ miles, I am enjoying your modifications. Mounting the front fender higher was a good move for traveling on unpaved roads. However, I discovered the lower portion of the radiator clogs with mud because the OEM front fender flap is too short. You may want to consider adding a longer flap.

Fun to see what your doing. Please keep us posted.

Rick - Davis, CA
bumpathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #122
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpathump View Post
Mag -

As the owner of a red '91 VX with 82K+ miles, I am enjoying your modifications. Mounting the front fender higher was a good move for traveling on unpaved roads. However, I discovered the lower portion of the radiator clogs with mud because the OEM front fender flap is too short. You may want to consider adding a longer flap.

Rick - Davis, CA

Hello bumpathump, The pics of the bike may not show it very well, but I have left off the original fender extension so that I can put a longer one on as soon as I find what I want. When I was deciding what to do for a skid plate is when I decided to do something different about the fender, I didn't know for sure that it would be a problem, but it just made sense to me to protect the radiator somehow and I didn't want two extentions hanging off the back of the fender. I appreciate your feedback on that, now I know I made the right decision and on the right track. If you don't mind I would like to see some pictures of your VX, street clean or mud dirty, it don't matter. That goes for anyone that has a VX, stock or modified. Bring it on so we can all see it. Thanks again for your feedback.

LikeItLoud
__________________________________________________ ________

Though with each passing day I grow older, I refuse to grow up .
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #123
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Mag -

Rick - Davis, CA

Hey Rick! How's the VX doing?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #124
bumpathump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
VTwin -

Still kickin here. Just not as high or hard. How about you?

Mag -

For photo of Little Old Red, check out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13908206#post13908206

Rick

bumpathump screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 11:26 AM
bumpathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #125
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
VTwin -

Still kickin here. Just not as high or hard. How about you?

Mag -

For photo of Little Old Red, check out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13908206#post13908206

Rick
Nice, this has replaced my VX.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615907

Sorry for the highjack op. I used to have a VX does that qualify for content?

unknown
Old 05-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #126
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Nice, this has replaced my VX.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615907

Sorry for the highjack op. I used to have a VX does that qualify for content?
Absolutely, highjacking accepted and encouraged. I'm glad to see so many people interested in this build. I know several have mentioned having a VX or previously having one and pretty much everyone agrees it is a great bike.
Can you give us a rundown of why you replaced the VX and what you miss about her (or what you don't miss)?
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #127
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Cool2 Fond memories

I wanted a VX800 from the first article I read about it when they came out. It was a few years before I found a used one I could afford. I immediately put in stiffer fork springs, different bend bars, bought saddle bags and a tank bag and started riding it.

I always liked the styling, the power was great, it carried my wife and I comfortably and was great all around. I only sold it because of building our house I didn't ride it at all for two summers and only 3 times the next summer so it didn't make much sense to keep it so I put a high price on it and was disappointed when it sold right away.

I didn't like constantly trying for a sixth gear on the highway to get the revs down and while I love shaft drive, I don't like not having an option to change the gearing. I didn't like the street suspension on dirt roads and the overall weight of the bike.

Better suspension would make a huge difference as would staying off the 65+ mph highways. Not easy to take much weight off though without getting very expensive. I would buy used spoke wheels from the Intruder, have new aluminum rims laced up and fit good dual sport tires and get rid of the heavy cast rims. Make my own exhaust system with one aluminum muffler would also save some pounds as well as giving it a better sound.

I would buy one in a minute at a give away price but considering how much money I would put into it to make it the way I want it, it would have to be almost free. Actually, if I could find a 1400 Intruder I would like to do the same thing to it.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #128
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
Absolutely, highjacking accepted and encouraged. I'm glad to see so many people interested in this build. I know several have mentioned having a VX or previously having one and pretty much everyone agrees it is a great bike.
Can you give us a rundown of why you replaced the VX and what you miss about her (or what you don't miss)?

Actually, it was a pretty good bike. It didn't suffer too much from the rear hub spline problem and I kept it lubed. Carbs were really finicky though. Replaced both brake rotors and brake lines with braided. Replaced pads with EBC HH and a fork brace. That battery was sure expensive! Had the factory rear rack(not in the pictures). I was looking for something a bit older, chrome fenders, air cooled. Here's an older picture.

unknown
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #129
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Old street rubber
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #130
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

To new Shinko Trail Masters
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #131
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
Wow I hadn't realized how much my 705 had worn down till I saw the pic of your brand new one. I don't remember what mileage I put it on the rear wheel so don't know how many miles I am going to get out of it. It has been a decent handling tire especially considering how litttle they cost.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #132
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
I've got the Shinkos 705 on my Yamaha also. They've got about 7000 on them now and the rear is starting to resemble your before pic. It may last another 1000 but that might be pushing it.
The front looks good to go. When I go back west to get the bike I'm going to have a tire sent to my Cousin's {where the bike is} and carry it with me for a while.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #133
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

The bike is supposed to be on the street legal this week. Hopefully we'll get an update and see how well it did on dirt roads and no roads. I think we have a new tank coming too, since the old one was pretty bad off. A little more green paint and then we'll get some more pictures up here.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #134
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 374
Great thread

Great Build

Great Bike
Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #135
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Some new pics

Some new pics
Attached Images

M@gneto screwed with this post 06-24-2011 at 02:24 PM