Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdway View Post
Go with a Buddy, I loved mine but sadly had to get rid of it due to being pinched $-wise. Selling it was the fastest way to recover but I was heartbroken.

Mine was pink and EVERYone loved it, talk about making friends.......
gotta LOVE the Buddy!

however i also want to throw in a word for the Honda Elite. much as i hate to because i think the Elite is a boring Piaggio Fly wannabe, dealers have had them on sale (Honda incentive package) for $2500. some have been letting them go for that amount "out the door," too. sometimes they go for a bit more, sometimes a bit less

linked brakes, liquid cooled, fuel injection, lots of storage, 108cc. it'll get up to 50mph quite readily and should be reliable with excellent fuel economy

the thing is i have reservations about Honda Stealerships. just when you think you are getting a good deal you walk into a powersports place and see a mark up of $1000. so that $2500 scoot is all of a sudden $3700 and you gotta deal with the whole "let me go talk to my manager" thing. which sucks. also if asking MSRP for the Elite its just $400 from a PCX 125 which is a fair amount more desirable

Honda, wtf are you thinking with these pricing schemes!

that said if i were in the market for a small scooter i would still get a Genuine Buddy over the Honda Elite, Piaggio Fly, or any other small commuter scooter. people say "Honda is reliable." so is Genuine. people say "that Honda will last forever!" well, its a small scooter so really now! do you really need it to? same goes for resale value. and the Buddy 125 or 150 will absolutely smoke the Elite and beat it up hills, merging into traffic, etc. its just way more fun to ride imo. a real hoot

second choice would be the Kymco Like 200i as Kymco is holding the line on its $2600 asking price and is pricing the new "LX" with different paint schemes and trim just $100 higher. impressive "big" small scoot for the price imo
Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
beverclan OP
Zip'n Onwards

Oddometer: 56
Thanks to all of you for the continuing input! Sent my daughter the link to this thread (when I opened it). I'm hoping that when she sees all of this she'll set up her own ID and join us in this discussion. She has final say in this discussion.

I found Dallas Vespa here in the Metromess, and went for a ride on a Buddy 125 today. What a blast, you are right about it being a good scoot! Talking to them it appears that the 50 is the same size but with a much smaller motor and front brake, and they were also telling me that the 50 is too small for any roads over 35mph.

Speaking of brakes, I took it up to 40 and then "slammed" it to a stop (did the exponential ease on and tighten quickly but smoothly, remembering that the left lever is a brake, not a clutch, not motorcycle norm). I practice emergency stops at least once a month on my R1150GS, and I was really IMPRESSED at how quickly it braked!

DudeClone, I'll check out the Honda and Kymco, thanks.

beverclan screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 11:39 PM
beverclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yes the buddy 125 is a great overall little scoot!

Its great for girls and guys alike! Its kinda has that "cute" appeal that girls like and isn't to big or heavy and intimating, yet any guy with self confidence can have a blast on it! It'll run at 60+ MPH and cruise at 45 MPH all day long.

Yep the brakes are great. I wish my scoot had a disk up front! These old drums on my 86 Elite 150 suck! I've done two brake jobs and have them adjusted perfectly, and you have the pedal all the way down and it slowly take the speed down. Scary when the light turns red at the last second and you have to depend on em to stop you! So good brakes should definitely be taken into account.

The Elite 110 is also a fine scoot. Its slower than the buddy by just a little, tops around 50+ MPH, but its only 108 cc. Its a good price and also has disk brakes up front. Its also small and agile, not a lot bigger than a 50 cc either. One nice thing is it offers PGMFI, although the Buddies carb does just fine.

But yea its up to her. She should just go check out a few scoots and find which suits her best.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,405
Don't forget the Kymco People 150. There are some killer deals on them around here.

The one I have is a runner. Its quick for a 150. Its perfect for around town and the secondary roads here are 45 to 50 MPH so it works there as well. It also has a front disc brake and 16 inch wheels and comes with a two year warranty.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
^ yeah i was gonna mention the People 150, too. heck all kinds of scoots can be recommended once past a certain price point. but my initial recs were for 125-150cc priced close to 50cc scoots, since i figured budget might be a consideration

and i prefer smaller wheeled scooters :P

but yeah the People 150 is awesome. Consumer Report top scooter pick 2009, and lots of great reviews from all over. but NOW they have it priced above a Like 200i! which is ok, i guess. but it seems sort of screwy, too

so yeah, discounts, anyone?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #21
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
^ yeah i was gonna mention the People 150, too. heck all kinds of scoots can be recommended once past a certain price point. but my initial recs were for 125-150cc priced close to 50cc scoots, since i figured budget might be a consideration

and i prefer smaller wheeled scooters :P

but yeah the People 150 is awesome. Consumer Report top scooter pick 2009, and lots of great reviews from all over. but NOW they have it priced above a Like 200i! which is ok, i guess. but it seems sort of screwy, too

so yeah, discounts, anyone?

The shop I got mine from just got in several People 150s and have them marked at $2399. They should deal some on that price as well.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote