Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #5506
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOnShabbos View Post
Ha, okay, good to know.

As for the "dealer fees" how bad were they? I worked the dealer in Cali down a bunch since I was buying a good number of accessories... Hope I can do the same with this one.
I was looking to trade in for an XC but decided not to. If I recall the fees

Freight 495
Prep 195
Dealer fee 200

When I bought my roadie up in Ringold the only fee I paid was a Doc fee for 80. Kinda pissed me off on the 495 for freight, the warehouse is in Marietta if I remember correctly. The next city south of Kennesaw. Hope this helps.
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #5507
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
I put about 20 miles on an 800XC on Saturday, impressions?

Love the motor, it's electric in it's smoothness and torque.

I'd appreciate a bit more legroom, had seat on high and the peg rubbers out but I think I would need the "Tall" seat. Has anyone seen one of these yet?

More heat coming off the motor than my TDM.

I'd have to do something with the handle bars. Higher, straighter and further fwd.

Oil leak evident off the front of the head and something from the rear as well.

Yes, I heard the burble from the exhaust as well, not sure if this bothers me, though I would want the Arrow exhaust or something aftermarket anyway.
Anybody notice this noise with the Arrow?

More later
continuing...

I noticed some buffeting around 70mph+. The windscreen also shakes all over the place, weird...

The suspension seemed a little choppy on the broken pavement common in NEOhio, do you suppose it softens upo a bit with use?

This bike only had 13 miles on it when I rolled out, I suppose the transmission loosens up a bit with some miles as well. Seemed a bit stiff and notchy.

Here I am before I suited up...

Here is the oil leak

Here is the TDM looking over it's shoulder....

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #5508
fmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Your dealer peeled them off. They come with two stickers on the tank and one on the windscreen. Also I don't know why triumph can't use an adhesive for those that just comes off clean.
Im not sure if GooGone is available worldwide but nothing removes sticky crap like GG! http://www.magicamerican.com/googone...ecleaners.aspx
fmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #5509
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Jesse Bags for the 800

For those interested, I just received the following email from Explorermoto.

"JC, Jesse has a Triumph 800 in the shop as I write this. I saw the mock up last Friday, & the bags look great. Jesse is looking to be in production in 3-4 weeks. We will start with the Odyssey II system, with the Safari's to follow at a later date. Jesse is running some numbers on a cost & will try to keep it in line with the BMW F800GS system at $1195.00. However, the Triumph's exhaust is on the right side which required some retooling & programing, so they might be a little higher in cost."
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #5510
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Oldman View Post
For those interested, I just received the following email from Explorermoto.

"JC, Jesse has a Triumph 800 in the shop as I write this. I saw the mock up last Friday, & the bags look great. Jesse is looking to be in production in 3-4 weeks. We will start with the Odyssey II system, with the Safari's to follow at a later date. Jesse is running some numbers on a cost & will try to keep it in line with the BMW F800GS system at $1195.00. However, the Triumph's exhaust is on the right side which required some retooling & programing, so they might be a little higher in cost."
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #5511
GeoDiablo
compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer: 2,828
Test ride on the XC over the weekend. I LOVED it… dammit. Everything about it, and it fits me like a glove (6'-0" 33" inseam). Severely smitten here.

However, I don't require the XC features. Do I need bother to score a test ride on the standard 800 before placing my order (my dealer doesn't have one). In other words, I'm gonna love the roadie just as much, right?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #5512
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
...I think I would need the "Tall" seat. Has anyone seen one of these yet?
Does Triumph offer a taller seat for both versions of the Tiger? If so, does it also have 2 height settings? Or are we talking aftermarket here?
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #5513
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDiablo View Post
Test ride on the XC over the weekend. I LOVED it… dammit. Everything about it, and it fits me like a glove (6'-0" 33" inseam). Severely smitten here.

However, I don't require the XC features. Do I need bother to score a test ride on the standard 800 before placing my order (my dealer doesn't have one). In other words, I'm gonna love the roadie just as much, right?

You had better ride the standard 800 first. Make sure it works for you - they are two different bikes - The suspension makes a big difference. I found the standard less than satisfying compared to the XC ... I wouldn't have bought the standard.

PaulSF screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 12:27 PM
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #5514
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
I fully understand now why folks call BattleWings "DeathWings." They are absolutely horrible on anything but hardpack dirt roads. They seem to be pretty good on the street, but when I took a telephone road they couldn't handle light gravel or sand. She took a dirt nap because of those @#$% BattleWings!
Trail wings are referred to as Death Wings, not Battle Wings ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #5515
Masi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Had my tigi at the first service and when I went to collect her there was something wrong..

It's idling ok and while twisting the throtle rough she surely revs ok.
The problem occurs when you slowly turn off the play from the gas and give a "tender" twist on the throtle then she'll stall..

First one on the line of fire is the throtle position sensor. They'll replace it over the weekend and I'm hoping that it will cure my sweet little kitten.

Next time you stand beside you bike take a look at the throtle bodies from the RH side of the bike and try to figure the easiest way to remove the tps
Finaly at friday I got the message from my local dealer that there's a re-assembled venom yellow tiger standing at their parking lot.
Unfortunately they were not able to solve the problem
Today I went back to place an order for an ECU. Basicly everything else has been replaced from the fuel supply and it still doesn't run properly.

Not quite sure how long it's going to take to get a new ECU but hopefully it's going to fix the fuel supply problems assuming that the problem is at the fuel supply...
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #5516
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Today I went back to place an order for an ECU. Basicly everything else has been replaced from the fuel supply and it still doesn't run properly.
You aren't paying for it are you?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #5517
AK Oldman
WANDRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Does Triumph offer a taller seat for both versions of the Tiger? If so, does it also have 2 height settings? Or are we talking aftermarket here?
The seats fit either version of the bike. I haven't seen the taller seat but have to assume it is the same as the lower seat which means it would have the two height settings.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #5518
TwoWheelExplorer
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 287
Your thoughts: XC on the freeway

I've not yet been able to take a test ride on an 800 XC, which I'm looking pretty seriously at.

But for those of you who have settled into your bikes now, how do you find your XC on the freeway for longer rides? I know of the various responses about buffeting, but are you getting enough wind protection so that you don't feel that you have to strain to hold on, etc?

Does anybody with BMW R*GS experience have thoughts on how the Tiger compares with respect to the freeway drone capability? (The 1150GS Adv I had was surprisingly good at this, after replacing a seat and windscreen as you do on pretty much any bike you're eating miles with).

Thanks for your input!

'08 FJR1300A, '93 Ducati 900SL | iShootYouLive(My Photos) | $5 Smugmug Coupon
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St Augustine
TwoWheelExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #5519
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by patl View Post
Does anybody with BMW R*GS experience have thoughts on how the Tiger compares with respect to the freeway drone capability? (The 1150GS Adv I had was surprisingly good at this, after replacing a seat and windscreen as you do on pretty much any bike you're eating miles with).
I haven't bought a T800 (yet), but I have ridden various GS models for long distances and took an extensive test ride on a T800.

While I'm sure it will vary with each rider's priorities and preference, I think most would find a T800 considerably less capable in true long-distance "drone" mode vs. something like a GS. My impression of the Tiger on my hour+ test ride (with 30 min on the freeway) was of a very light and nimble bike that was a joy in the twisties, but also a bike that had very little wind protection, not a whole lot of high-gear cruising RPM power, a somewhat stiff and non-compliant suspension that didn't to very well on things like freeway expansion joints, and much less overall stability than a telelever BMW. And, of course, less "road hugging" weight.

The weather protection issue may be somewhat fixable by a bigger screen, but my experience is that big screens on small bikes without much fairing is that you end up with a lot more buffeting and less ability to deal with any kind of crosswind.

All bikes are tradeoffs and I loved the Tiger. But I don't think it is a great droner. YMMV.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5520
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quick mod - Givi monokey plate

I wanted a hard case on my 800xc quickly for commuter duty. Since I already have several Givi cases around, I ended up pulling a Givi plate (part Z255) off my XR650L and bolting it directly on top of the stock plastic rear rack. I used two 45mm socket head bolts, two washers ground to fit the slot in the Givi plate, some 1/2" tall nylon spacers (which I nested inside each other to get the ID and OD I wanted), and four washers to sandwhich the spacers.

This was sturdy enough for commuting but I wouldn't want to really hammer this setup off road with something heavy in the case.

What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote