Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #136
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
And here's a BIG pet peeve that tends to piss people off but I'm gonna bring it up anyway... and I haven't yet seen it in this thread so I'm not calling anybody out. Learn to use apostrophes correctly. I would rather people NOT use them at all than use them wrong. Apostrophes do NOT go before the "s" in any word that is plural or otherwise ends in "s".
you and me both... i always want to go into their posts and fix the errors.

you would probably love this book: I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar (also the same FB group)
Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #137
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,223
Advrider is the new wild west...

It's fun to see new mediums evolve and differentiate themselves from other forms of entertainment and information.

Web based media such as advrider are on an accelerated information platform, which is why photos have such a strong immediate impact here (feeding the brain the most info in the shortest span of time).

Wording in this environment can slow the mind speed down to a screeching halt (this post for example) , if not reduced to the bare essentials.

Let the photos be your words for the story... and let your words be simple footnotes.

It's an exciting time to experiment with this new frontier of photo journal- realism where the rules are as undefined as a blank canvas.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 02:04 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #138
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,936
Thumb

Very well said DesertSurfer!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #139
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Great thread ! Keep it coming .
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #140
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,029
Found this today on Twitter...

http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/Cle...Sentences.html

I'm going to read that and see if I can learn from it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #141
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
a thank you note

to all who have written here, i just want to say thank you for all the information.

yeah some of us don't write well since English is not our mother language and there for have to translate and then make it sound "american or british" so it translate not just the words but also the meaning of the idea, keep that in mind since grammar is a challange when changing from one language to another.

and yes, keep it coming!!
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #142
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
to all who have written here, i just want to say thank you for all the information.

yeah some of us don't write well since English is not our mother language and there for have to translate and then make it sound "american or british" so it translate not just the words but also the meaning of the idea, keep that in mind since grammar is a challange when changing from one language to another.

and yes, keep it coming!!
I have NO problem with those who aren't native English-speakers. Personally, I think it's great that they're trying. It's those of us who ARE native English speakers who should know better. :)

Rob
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #143
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Found this today on Twitter...

http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/Cle...Sentences.html

I'm going to read that and see if I can learn from it.

Rob
i did not mention but THANK YOU for the link, I know it may not be approve by the royal academy of English language BUT still something good to have

damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #144
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Save Your Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I really should convert all of my reports to print as computers crash and websites come/go..
I've worried about this as well. What if I wake up one day and advrider is no more, or all of the old RRs have been deleted. How would I go on living? More importantly, I could never read my own RRs someday while in my rocking chair in some nursing home.

I backed up a few pages to my own computer in the past, but haven't done so in years. I'm gonna start doing this again, just in case, though I'm sure the advrider/smugmug servers are much safer than my own PC.

To save a page to your own computer using Internet Explorer, click PAGE, SAVE AS, and select the file type and the folder you wish to archive it in. This will save the page (not just a link) so you could see your reports long after the internet is closed down...

I'm not the most computer savvy. Does anyone know what file type works best for this type of function? Web Archive? HTML?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #145
chrome bandit
Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Cool2 Top of mind

Good question, a few ways to handle this:
  • Save all of your text reports to a Word or OneNote document before posting here. That way you can back-up as needed, or even print your own ride trip booklet on your own time without having to worry about web site availability.
  • There is a non-obvious method to capturing an entire ride report from ADV down to your pc in just a few steps...
    • at the top of this thread, look for the Thread Tools drop down menu, and select Show Printable Version
    • Look at the top right hand corner of the page, click on the link Show 100 posts from this thread on one page - that will chunk up the thread into big pages that you can save to Word or OneNote by using copy/paste or printing to a file.
    • I'm picking Word or OneNote on purpose then they can handle rich text and pictures side by side. Can't do that with a text file.
Hope this helps a little...
chrome bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #146
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

I don't recommend anybody try to write their ride reports here on the site. Over in another thread, a guy's regular posts keep getting eaten because his browser keeps crashing. I would suggest as others have, and write them in Word or something, then copy/paste here before posting.

Another idea to save reports... do what chrome bandit said about getting 100 posts on the page but then go to File > Save As and save the page. The web browser, whichever one you use, will save all the images, HTML, everything from a given web page, so that you can view it offline. You'll have to step through each "page" of the report on the website (with 100 posts per) and do File > Save As, but that way it will render back exactly as it does now, online.

Rob
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #147
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Excellent thread, thanks for starting it and nurturing it !

I thought I'd try to contribute as well :

Most of us carry a smartphone/iPhone with us on rides. They can be used as notebooks as well, stocking photos with GPS coordinates (iPhone 4 does it by default) to help memorize a route or a particular event or to later on support the RR writing.

If you have a phone that supports apps, do a bit of Googling before taking off: you might find some useful apps to support your RR. For example I'm preparing a trip for next month with my Pillionette and she found out that there are a few iPhone apps pretty useful to keep a "journal".

The one that we'll probably use is Trip Journal :
http://www.trip-journal.com/

It allows you to track your route, save photos with comments and share all this via email, Twitter or Facebook, or simply publish it online on a website.

Good interface, very easy to use, and after testing it in the city, seems to be doing what we want it to.

Other apps I find useful:

Evernote: Can't live without it. Records any type of note, text or photo, and can be organized and tagged into "notebooks". I currently use it to keep track of the preparation phase of my trip, and to support my writing.

Dropbox: I use this app to store big document while on the go (passport scans, hotel confirmation slips etc..), but also books (Dropbox can open them in an ebook reader app like Stanza), photos or anything I want to share or have access to anywhere. They have 2Gigas available for the free account - more than enough to carry with me everywhere important documents and save new ones.

Another trick using the phone (I am only familiar with iPhones, but I bet Blackberrys and other Android/Windows phones have this feature as well) is the screenshot feature: on an iPhone, pressing the power button and the home button at the same time will take a screenshot of your screen and save it into your photo library.
I find it useful on the road when I have access to 3G to record where I've been on a map: I load the Maps Apps, let it find my location with the little blue dot on, and click, i take a screenshot. I can later use it to retrace my steps, because each screenshot is in fact a photo - timestamped :)

These screenshots of maps can also be useful to prepare for a trip in an area where you don't have (or don't want to pay) data charges: the snapshots of the area of the map you want to have on you at all times, and you'll be able to look at the map without using your data plan.

Some of these tips are more oriented towards the trip itself, but can be used later for the RR as well. I'm a believer in making technology work for us (read geek) and if you carry a smartphone, there's a good chance you have right there a huge resource to help you record your RR : it has a camera, a video camera, it can record audio files, it can record notes or email drafts, it can help you memorize places on maps, fun/special moments, all that just by reaching to your pocket. :)
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #148
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Another tip for those who don't ride solo : surely you'll discuss over diner or breakfast the highlights of the previous day and recall with other riders / with your pillion the good and the bad of the past 24H. I find that to be a great way to find content for the RR. And sharing the riders reactions to a particular anecdote or event is even better for the RR.

So if you find yourself without inspiration, or wonder what to start with and what to talk about, remember what you talked about during the breaks, at diner or breakfast essentially, and it'll help jog your memory and pick the good stuff
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #149
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
I don't recommend anybody try to write their ride reports here on the site. Over in another thread, a guy's regular posts keep getting eaten because his browser keeps crashing. I would suggest as others have, and write them in Word or something, then copy/paste here before posting.

Another idea to save reports... do what chrome bandit said about getting 100 posts on the page but then go to File > Save As and save the page. The web browser, whichever one you use, will save all the images, HTML, everything from a given web page, so that you can view it offline. You'll have to step through each "page" of the report on the website (with 100 posts per) and do File > Save As, but that way it will render back exactly as it does now, online.

Rob
Thanks for the input Rob. I've heard the advice of writing the report with another program before, but I've only had a couple posts get lost. Although this can be very frustrating, I have no idea how to write a report in another program. Can someone provide some instructions for this, or at least post a link if this is explained elsewhere?

I usually place the photos in the new post first, then decide what I want to write and where to place the text. Can you see the photos when composing in other programs or do you just see the link?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #150
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

O'ren, Great Write-up! I am probably the only person left without a smart-phone, but will surely need the tips someday.
Smart-phones must be great for staying in touch with advrider while on the road. They are sure to change the medium of the Ride Report.
I'd love to see an increase of creative reporting with phones. I just hope RRs with BIG PICS aren't discouraged
by a growing population of inmates using tiny screens for reading advrider.