Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #76
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 337
Got mine!
Have been riding to work daily since and have to say:
This is the coolest shit since sliced bread!
Radio with DTS, Zumo 660 and all on the SRC. !!!
I get calls from work/nurses about pts and they dont even know I am on my bike. Took an international call even... while on a bike. The only gripe: it will not do Pandora via Zumo. But if I delete Zumo and pair with just mobile, I can.
Life is so good.
Fit and finish have been reported before. Absolutely no buffetting with this lid!
And Vox and auto whatever its called when the vol goes up and down with ambient noise!!!
Aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #77
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
I got mine 7month ago and i couldnt be more happy. everything rocks on this helmet. its rlly comfi and no nead to wear plugs anymore. It's sure very expensive but its worth every penny. Infact I had a lot of luck when i bought it. it was for sale because shubert was going to put out the new S Pro Helmet and i saved 130$. (Couldnt say no to that!!)
If one day I have to change my helmet it would be another C3 and if one day i'm rich i'll buy the C3 Carbon... VERY VERY light which can be usefull for big trips. I remember riding 1000Miles this winter and after arriving at destination I had terrible neck aches. (but I think the cold weather and the 16 hours on a motorcycle were partly responsible for that =)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #78
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Carefully take a spoon and work the foam down in that precise area behind the seam.
It worked for me, I found mine was just a little tight on the forehead area.
Repeated working with the back side if the spoon made the helmet fit perfectly.

On the road this week with my new C3. I love the helmet, but I have the exact same dent in my forehead and headache after 1 1/2 hour. Tried compressing the foam with some force, but only minor temp relief. That foam is hard as a rock, it ain't gonna wear in! Compressing foam with hammers and spoons seems as dumb as cutting away some foam. Finally, at a stop for rest I took my leather man super sharp blade and after peeling back the liner, I shaved some of the foam off (gasp from product liability lawyers and DOT). It seems to have helped. I'm probably going to do a flap-ectomy on that little winter flap that covers the vent holes as it is definitely contributing to the irritation. So what if I have permanently scarred my $700 helmet, it WORKS.

BTW, I installed my old Camos BTS-200 blutooth headset in ten minutes. Looks like ass stuck on the side, but it works, and I can use the $400 I saved on the SRC headset for a tank of gas...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #79
bkniegge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Spoons are the new helmet tool

great job you did there.... You could have been hired by the Bell RAce Team guys to fit helmets to A.J. Foyt's head... now that was a problem!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Carefully take a spoon and work the foam down in that precise area behind the seam.
It worked for me, I found mine was just a little tight on the forehead area.
Repeated working with the back side if the spoon made the helmet fit perfectly.
bkniegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #80
bkniegge
Adventurer

Bluhduh C3 Break-In

Yes.... even the very nice folks at Schuberth say it does take a while to break in and fit your head... At least the quality is more of what we expect from expensive products... unlike any Corbin seat I ever had.. So just hand in there with it... read the post from theu guy that used the spoons to make it fit liek a custom made suit..I do know that it works..
I also know that most people buying helmets buy them to fit too loose as new... then it gets really loose after wearing it...
Bill K
www.wheeljockey.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
I get the impression it is fairly common. Kind of like what they say about Corbin and other seats. It takes awhile to break them in. I am glad I gave it a chance to work, the helmet is very comfortable now and easily the best I have ever owned.
bkniegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #81
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

So, I love my C3, as I posted above it has great features. Unfortunately, it rubs really hard on my forehead. On a three day ride NY to Fla, it wore right through the skin, and that wound got slightly infected, and left a huge dent and bump on my forehead, as documented in that fellows picture above, but worse. While this heals, I pulled the liner out of the helmet, and took a look to see exactly what is rubbing me the wrong way. It turns out that the comfort liner, the coolmax material that keeps the hard styrofoam off your head, has some stitching at the front where the center piece of padding meets the front piece. That is also where the little flap that closes the top vents in the winter is. If you press this area with your fingers you can feel the rough edge of the material. This is what is causing me all the pain. Compressing the foam, and even removing some of it (!) did not work for me. So, I took a small piece of 1/8" foam (the kind that is used to pad helmet headset ear pieces) and fastened it over the rough spot of the comfort liner and VOILA! it works to cushion the offending hot spot. Once my head wound heals in a few days I'll try a long ride to test the idea and report back. Hope this helps those who love the helmet but hate the "dent/pain"

I believe that the Schuberth design is flawed in that the seams are too rough for comfort and should be redesigned as a single molded piece in this critical comfort area.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #82
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
For what it's worth, I spent my first year owning a C2 battling the forehead hot spot. I did wear the helmet for half an hour before buying, but the forehead hot spot didn't show up until a longer trip. For the longest time I fiddled with the helmet in minor ways, not wanting to squish the foam at all. Eventually I gave up and used a spoon or something similar to very slightly dent the foam... and I've loved my C2 for 5 years now.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #83
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I believe that the Schuberth design is flawed in that the seams are too rough for comfort and should be redesigned as a single molded piece in this critical comfort area.
This be what leaves that big ass dent in my forehead. I will try the foam trick this weekend and then take the liner to have it altered. Poor placement and design for such a Cadillac helmet.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #84
Traveling Man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Sounds like I was a bit lucky. I had the pressure point but the Schuberth rep said to be patient with it and it will go away. I tried doing some shorter rides, just long enough to start feeling the pressure, then stopped. Later in the day I would do another short ride. I kept doing that for about 3-4 weeks and eventually I had no more problems. Just finished a 2300 mile ride two months after buying the helmet, the ride took 6 days with as much as 10 hrs on a couple days. No problems at all, the helmet is very comfortable, probably the best I have ever owned.

I was pretty upset after buying the helmet thinking I had wasted a lot of money. The advice and support I got from the Schuberth rep was very good. A little patience and a few weeks and the helmet is very comfortable.

Steve

2011 R1200GSA
2006 Harley Road Glide
Traveling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #85
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
Sounds like I was a bit lucky. I had the pressure point but the Schuberth rep said to be patient with it and it will go away. I tried doing some shorter rides, just long enough to start feeling the pressure, then stopped. Later in the day I would do another short ride. I kept doing that for about 3-4 weeks and eventually I had no more problems. Just finished a 2300 mile ride two months after buying the helmet, the ride took 6 days with as much as 10 hrs on a couple days. No problems at all, the helmet is very comfortable, probably the best I have ever owned.
Steve
heh. maybe it is your head that is getting broken in.

-k
Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #86
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
I bought a C3 and had the same forehead dent issue as others have complained about. It is a great high quality helmet, it fit me perfect but after an hour of riding my forehead was killing me. When I removed the helmet there was a huge indent shaped like the stupid seam they put right in the forehead. I believe this is a design flaw. I ended up selling it, I hope the new owner does not have the same issues. Before I sold it I contacted the US importer here is his response.

I also get that impression on my forehead from the helmet, but without any discomfort. Is it safe to assume that you actually tried on the helmet before making your purchase? As you know, not every helmet fits every head, regardless of the purchase price, and that’s why it is highly recommended that you do a proper fitting before purchasing.

The break-in period for our helmets may be a bit longer than what you have experienced with other brands. This is in part due to the advanced technology used in making our multi-density EPS. The sewn parts will settle in relatively quickly, but the EPS takes time to adjust to your head. You can help to accelerate the break in of the sewn parts by washing them, or putting them in a plastic bag and applying weight to them overnight, but we can’t offer any suggestions for shaping or forming the EPS.

That being said, after several weeks of regualar riding, my helmet changed significantly. My first 6 hour ride was a little tough, but the ride back the next day was much easier, and now the helmet feels very different than it did when I first tried it on.

So my suggestion is to let it settle in. If you don’t think that will work, then you’ll have to contact the retailer to see what their return policy is.

Phil Chapman
Dealer Development
Schuberth North America
27111 Aliso Creek Road # 175
Aliso Viejo CA 92656
Ph) 949-215-0893
Fx) 949-215-0469
Mobile) 949-939-6863
phil.chapman@schuberthnorthamerica.com

He even admitted to having the forehead issue. I did try on the helmet before I purchased it but wearing it for 10 mins at the dealer I didn't have any discomfort. I believe they will eventually change the liner design (but then again those German's don't like to admit to design flaws) If they do change it I will probably buy another one.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #87
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Thanks for the narrative, I'm currently having the same exact issue with a C3 I bought about 2 weeks ago. Most everyone has suggested depressing the 'styrofoam' (behind the liner) more around the offending area to relieve pressure, but I believe the issue is the helmet liner itself and more specifically the 'rough seam' as you have pointed out. I've never had a helmet fitment issue which made itself known only after extended wearing, if the initial fit was right the helmet has always continued to be a bit snug as it broke in but no 'hot spots'. Love the C3 helmet, but for $700 the liner should not have an obvious irritation area particularly in the forehead area. Anyway, sent off a message to Schuberth.de and USA to see if they are aware and have a solution in place.
Here's hoping you get a response and post it here for all to see. Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #88
Luckycharms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
I bought a C3 and had the same forehead dent issue as others have complained about. It is a great high quality helmet, it fit me perfect but after an hour of riding my forehead was killing me. When I removed the helmet there was a huge indent shaped like the stupid seam they put right in the forehead. I believe this is a design flaw. I ended up selling it, I hope the new owner does not have the same issues. Before I sold it I contacted the US importer here is his response.

I also get that impression on my forehead from the helmet, but without any discomfort. Is it safe to assume that you actually tried on the helmet before making your purchase? As you know, not every helmet fits every head, regardless of the purchase price, and thatís why it is highly recommended that you do a proper fitting before purchasing.

The break-in period for our helmets may be a bit longer than what you have experienced with other brands. This is in part due to the advanced technology used in making our multi-density EPS. The sewn parts will settle in relatively quickly, but the EPS takes time to adjust to your head. You can help to accelerate the break in of the sewn parts by washing them, or putting them in a plastic bag and applying weight to them overnight, but we canít offer any suggestions for shaping or forming the EPS.

That being said, after several weeks of regualar riding, my helmet changed significantly. My first 6 hour ride was a little tough, but the ride back the next day was much easier, and now the helmet feels very different than it did when I first tried it on.

So my suggestion is to let it settle in. If you donít think that will work, then youíll have to contact the retailer to see what their return policy is.

Phil Chapman
Dealer Development
Schuberth North America
27111 Aliso Creek Road # 175
Aliso Viejo CA 92656
Ph) 949-215-0893
Fx) 949-215-0469
Mobile) 949-939-6863
phil.chapman@schuberthnorthamerica.com

He even admitted to having the forehead issue. I did try on the helmet before I purchased it but wearing it for 10 mins at the dealer I didn't have any discomfort. I believe they will eventually change the liner design (but then again those German's don't like to admit to design flaws) If they do change it I will probably buy another one.

With all due respect to everyone in this thread that has had problems with their C3, I don't feel that the flap of cloth on the forehead is a design flaw. I don't think I would have even known about it if not for this thread. I got lucky. I think I have the perfect C3 test rider head shape. I bought my helmet, made a few rides, then went on a long weekend trip. One that included a few 6+ hour rides. Nothing but pure comfort bliss. It feels as though my head is wrapped in a warm cocoon of awesome. Every time I put my helmet on it feels as though it was custom made for my head. The complaints about the C3 that I keep reading on this forum and others, almost always stem from the same thing - pain in the forehead region. If the flap wasn't there, you would still have pain in the area from the EPS, so it's head shape that's the issue, not the flap. If this was a $200 helmet I think most people would just return/sell the helmet and chalk it up to an incorrect helmet head shape. Just my opinion. YMMV
Luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #89
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckycharms View Post
With all due respect to everyone in this thread that has had problems with their C3, I don't feel that the flap of cloth on the forehead is a design flaw. I don't think I would have even known about it if not for this thread. I got lucky. I think I have the perfect C3 test rider head shape. I bought my helmet, made a few rides, then went on a long weekend trip. One that included a few 6+ hour rides. Nothing but pure comfort bliss. It feels as though my head is wrapped in a warm cocoon of awesome. Every time I put my helmet on it feels as though it was custom made for my head. The complaints about the C3 that I keep reading on this forum and others, almost always stem from the same thing - pain in the forehead region. If the flap wasn't there, you would still have pain in the area from the EPS, so it's head shape that's the issue, not the flap. If this was a $200 helmet I think most people would just return/sell the helmet and chalk it up to an incorrect helmet head shape. Just my opinion. YMMV
I agree that if the head-shape to helmet-shape were a better match there would be no problem, bu I have successfully resolved the liner rough spot problem with the addition of a small foam pad that smooths that contact area. If the liner didn't have a rough seam I wouldn't have had to do that. Otherwise the helmet fits great and I love it and plan to keep it. Since the issue only arises after 1 1/2 hours it is not resolved by trial fitting under resoneable circumstances. Glad you have a perfect fit, but some do not. I accept the need to customize the fit, but hope Schuberth will make the next batch of liners without the rough seam. I am now going to just ride the piss out of this baby....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #90
robsong
Adventurer

Looks like such a high end piece would come in a couple different shapes. Im curious to know what helmet those who find this C3 comfortable they wore and was it comfortable as well. If it has already been stated I apologize .... Im very interested in this helmet but very cautious.. I currently have an Arai Quantum 2 and an Arai rx-7.... Both are a perfect fit..... 500 mile days are no problem in both of these...
robsong is offline   Reply With Quote