User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Twisted Martini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Tips to combat a stiff/sore back

Does anybody have any good stretches or exercises for the mid/upper back? Spent a couple of hours in the saddle today and it was really getting stiff towards the end of the day. I'd love to strengthen that area so i can do some longer rides. Thanks in advance!
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,840
These work for me, popped my back ages ago, might not work for you though. If your upper back is sore, that sounds like the stretch to the bars is too far, if so you probably get sore across the top of shoulders/neck too. If your mid back is sore, you might be slouching. Anyway......

Chin-ups. Keep doing them until you fall off. Wait 5mins, repeat. Then again, etc.

For want of a better word, "knee-ups". Hang from your arms (during your 5min rest from chin-ups is good! ), drag your knees up to your chest, up and down, up and down, etc, till......you fall off. Repeat. Again.

Lucky last (lower back mostly though), one foot on chair, bend over slowly until your chest hits your knee, slowly straighten up. Keep at it till you ......fall down! Repeat! Then change feet on the chair, repeat, repeat........

Get up dammit!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Twisted Martini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks I'll give them a try!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
I have the same issue.

My Elite 150 is comfortable, actually pretty comfy. But after about 2 hours in the saddle it starts getting uncomfy.

I'm in pretty good shape, but I get lower back aches and such. When I run and do conditioning it starts to ache a lot.

I do a lot of weight lifting as well, so I know what muscle soreness feels like vs. other aches. I think my problem isn't a muscle issue.

What really works for me is a little rest and standing straight up and reaching for my feet. This stretches my lower back out and helps.

I find my Shadow much more comfortable though. I've done 5+ hour rides and haven't had these pains, just regular pains. I don't know if the scoot's position is awkward or something?
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Twisted Martini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It ain't the scoot, it's my lazy ass. I slouch so it would make sense that I would also ride like that, which makes my mid back sore.