ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirloynz View Post
http://www.anacortes.org/ has a list of available lodging. The best place to stay would be in old town off Commercial Ave., between 12th and 1st (red). Most of the good restaurants are in that area. Safeway is on the corner of Commercial & 12th and open 24 hours.
Recommend Seaboldts Fish House in Oak Harbor for fresh seafood. And Anacortes Brewery Rockfish grill. Good assortment of house taps, excellent food and the staff was the best. Nice link to the park, good info. My son has an Apartment over there we use when he's not at home. Kind of like a nice vacation home we dont have to pay for. When he is home we usually stay at Navy Lodge. Nice digs for $75 a night.
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
sirloynz
Puny Human

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyhound View Post
And Anacortes Brewery Rockfish grill. Good assortment of house taps, excellent food and the staff was the best.
Yeah, the Rockfish grill has great food, beer and live music. The Brown Lantern has great burgers and brew, fish & chips too. The Majestic and Anthony's Home Port have the best happy hour food. Greek Islands is also good if you're into Greek food.

The county shut the Guemes Island ferry down for repairs, so they hired a whale tour boat for a passenger ferry until repairs are complete. The ride is free and the scenery is good, if you feel like going for a boat ride. You can walk to the Anderson General Store on the island for food or coffee, then hang on the beach until the ferry returns. The boat launches from Anacortes at the marina.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #18
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Quote:
Greek Islands is also good if you're into Greek food.

The county shut the Guemes Island ferry down for repairs, so they hired a whale tour boat for a passenger ferry until repairs are complete. The ride is free and the scenery is good, if you feel like going for a boat ride. You can walk to the Anderson General Store on the island for food or coffee, then hang on the beach until the ferry returns. The boat launches from Anacortes at the marina.
Really like Zorbas in Oak Harbor for Greek. Again, very nice staff, and good grub.Think I will try this Greek islands place when we come over next time. Is it "Marys Kitchen" in Anacortes, down the street from "The Islands" restaraunt? We had breakfast there. Kind of small but reminded me of places we used to go when I was a kid. Somebodies house they turned into an eatery. Good food, prices reasonable, nice homey atmosphere.

I really dig all this info your listing. Wife and I are taking a week or so to ride the San Juans around August, basing out of OH as our place to stay. Youre giving me lots of ideas... keep it coming. Any place on Orcas, Lopez, or San Juan that's a must see when we go? Not to hijack the thread.
-Peterman-
Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
sirloynz
Puny Human

Quote:
Is it "Marys Kitchen" in Anacortes, down the street from "The Islands" restaraunt? We had breakfast there. Kind of small but reminded me of places we used to go when I was a kid. Somebodies house they turned into an eatery. Good food, prices reasonable, nice homey atmosphere.
Yeah, that's Mary's Kitchen in the converted house - good food, good atmosphere. The Calico Cupboard is probably the most popular breakfast place in town. The food is really good there, but it's a bit on the spendy side and there's usually a wait to get seated.

Mt. Constitution/Moran State Park is a must see on Orcas Island. It's the highest point in the islands with an amazing 360 view from the observation tower.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Very cool! I'll remember to pack my cauldron of boiling oil and bring extra arrows to fight back the hordes

Quote:
The Calico Cupboard is probably the most popular breakfast place in town. The food is really good there, but it's a bit on the spendy side and there's usually a wait to get seated.
Yeah, I kind of hate people... so we didnt go there. Mary's looked like it was mostly locals (nice quite unintrusive folks) going for coffee and read the paper (we got there early). Apparently the overflow from The Island Cafe and Calico spilled into Marys as we finished. A bunch of demanding, pretentious jackasses lined up outside as we left. "What do you mean you can't seat a party of 15?". Im reasonably sure their Giganto RVs were parked right down the street.
-Peterman-

Smellyhound screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 11:11 AM
Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
I would LOVE to be in the marine industry.......I think. I have an old woodie GB and love trawlers.....
Do you like artery-clogging food, coffee you can chew, and living on $45/day maintenance and cure when you get hurt?

Pro_Marinero screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 12:31 PM
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Any place on Orcas, Lopez, or San Juan that's a must see when we go? Not to hijack the thread.
OMG! Too much to list!
I used to travel the San Juans doing service work. Got paid to go here and there and keep boats running.
On Orcas, take a ride to Deer Harbor. Like stepping back in time. If you wanna take a whale watching tour, Deer Harbor Charters will take ya.
On San Juan, if you like walking the docks and seeing what kinda boats are tied up, either Friday Harbor or Roche provides some eye candy. In the summer, some of the vacationers provide some eye candy, too. Lunch at Roche is a must do for us when we tour San Juan.
Park the bike by the airstrip at Roche and walk up to the Afterglow mausoleum. It is a rare thing to get to tour the haunts of a 32nd degree mason.

Lime Kilns, geocaches, there's a lot to see around San Juan island. Watch for the outdoor art gallery just outside Roche.
Lopez is a pretty sleepy little place. Nice views from the south end of the island, and some rugged coastline, but much of it difficult to get to from the roads.
Make sure you ride the Westside road either to or from Roche. It is a treat.
Take your time. The islands are one of the few places going slow on a bike has its rewards.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

I was just telling Sirloynz we were
planning a real leisurely pace. We have plenty of time. He gave me a few good ideas, so it's all good. Going to post up a thread for ideas a little closer to our departure date. I really appreciate all the info... And I'm sorry I hijacked yer thread. I know that never happens here :-)
-Peterman-
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #24
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Thanks for all the great feedback-I just mounted my new Kenda Big block tires (I didn't want to wear out my Dunlop 606's) new rear brake pads and install my Giant loop bags so I'm getting close for my first big ride of the year. If anyone sees a KTM adventure Thurs,fri or Sat please come say hi!!
Looks like I will be taking the ferry from Port Townsend-Does that ferry run on a close schedule? Thanks again for all your feedback

Ken
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
sirloynz
Puny Human

PT/Keystone ferry schedule - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/Sche...roundtrip=true

If you have time, swing by Fort Casey and Fort Ebey when you arrive on Whidbey.

sirloynz screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 01:02 PM
sirloynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

As an afterthought you might want to get a reservation. I ended up going down to Clinton after waiting for 2 hours trying to get in without. However that was in August on a Thursday afternoon.
Quote:
PT/Keystone ferry schedule - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/Sche...roundtrip=true

If you have time, swing by Forty Casey and Fort Ebey when you arrive on Whidbey.
-Peterman-
Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:

As an afterthought you might want to get a reservation. I ended up going down to Clinton after waiting for 2 hours trying to get in without. However that was in August on a Thursday afternoon.
No need for reservations on a bike. Bikes load first, except the 4th Sunday in September, which is Oyster Run in Anacortes.
The ferry is brand new this year, too, and has quite a bit more capacity. Last year was a b!tch, small substitute ferry while the new one was built, and lots of back-ups.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #28
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
+1 For Ferry Reservations

Yes, the ferry runs reasonably close to on time but is subject to tide related cancellations. Use the link to get a reservation and you avoid a possible wait. The boat crews are great and will usually squeeze you on even without the res but you might get a one ferry wait at peak times. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
No need for reservations on a bike. Bikes load first, except the 4th Sunday in September, which is Oyster Run in Anacortes.
The ferry is brand new this year, too, and has quite a bit more capacity. Last year was a b!tch, small substitute ferry while the new one was built, and lots of back-ups.
Good to hear. Just based it off of prior experience and what the WSF site said. Looks like the second one is finishing sea trials
-Peterman-