User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Traffic slowing down?

I just got back from a long ride and I took my Elite 150 on the major interstate for the first time.

I have ridden on parts of interstates, but they've all been 2 lane 55 MPH ones.

You know what? I am REALLY surprised at how well the scooter kept up. It got up to 65 MPH just fine. I stayed in the right lane the whole time and felt pretty safe.

It was actually very stable and wasn't blown around that much.

Anyways, I noticed I was going with the flow of about 90% of the traffic. A few cars were going buy in the commuter lane but everyone else was around my pace.

I never got on the major busy interstate because I thought it wouldn't keep up well and piss of cagers. But it was fine!

I even brought it down to around 58 MPH and it was fine! I was still at around the same speed as the right and near right lane.

I wander if traffic is slowing down due to high fuel prices? I remember riding other bikes on the highway I'd have to keep it at around 75 MPH most of the time or I'd be getting tailgated and passed constantly.

Next time I ride the highway I'll take a video as well and post it on my thread.

But it was actually pretty fun! Felt a little small, but actually quite stable!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,509
My wife's Reflex is quite stable at highways speeds. However, the bodywork on that scoot is a little more aerodynamic, I think. You might change your tune if you rode in Chicago. People here, especially during rush hour, are in a huge hurry. You may not feel as comfortable. But, I'm glad that the expressway is now an option for you. It's better than thinking "I'm stuck taking surface streets" when you need to get someplace fast.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I wander if traffic is slowing down due to high fuel prices?

Yeah, I've noticed it too. Rode over to Half Moon Bay a couple weeks ago and my wife kept looking over my shoulder to see the speedometer(not on a scooter), right at 80 mph like always, we were just blowing by everybody because they are going a lot slower these days.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,940
The last couple of years I`ve been pondering the same thing about traffic slowing down.
It`s been so noticeable that I was convinced my bike speedos were under reading and I was going a fair bit faster than indicated....but ALL of the speedos on my various bikes couldn`t have been so wrong.

I`m pretty sure that apart from our forests of speed cameras over here...with all the numpty drivers incapable of reading and understanding the posted limits so they all sit about 45-50 mph ...that the cause of this mass slowing down is indeed higher fuel costs.

By the way,95 octane unleaded is around £1.40 a litre here at the moment.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
ONYERBIKE
LE Rosbeeeeef!

Oddometer: 356
Definately the traffic is slowing down, I am a truck driver for one of the big supermarkets in the UK and I have really noticed that the speed has dropped quite alot since last year, alot more car drivers are driving between 55-65mph. Also people are using their cars less here, I think that there was a study recently about the M25 motorway which circles London, traffic has dropped by about 30% it is now quite rare to get stuck in a traffic jam where before it was a daily event to sit in traffic, especially on the northern section of the M25.

In my opinion, higher fuel costs=lower speeds=less accidents=fuel costs in the UK will not go back down, the government are in a win win situation, more revenue from fuel duty, less expense to the A&E and lower emissions so that they can say that they are doing their bit for the environment
ONYERBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
#1 people are slowing down to increase their gas mileage, conserve gas, save money.
#2 people are slowing down cause they can't afford a speeding ticket in this tight economy
#3 people are slowing down cause more people own smaller, higher gas mileage cars, that have smaller and lower powered engines where these engines don't perform as good at higher speeds (climbing mountains)

I would like to see the max speed limits lowered to 55 mph on 4 lanes and 50 mph on 2 lanes, this would conserve fuel, force lower gas prices, make the highways safer and would help the smaller, lower powered cars.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post

But it was actually pretty fun! Felt a little small, but actually quite stable!
When I first got my scooter I thought with the small tires it wouldn't be stable on the high speed highways, on rough roads, from past experiences of owning the big cruiser bikes that would shake and vibrate at high speeds.
but my scooter is even MORE stable than any other motorcycle I owned, I have a much higher daring and confidence on the tight hairpin curves and on wet roads with my scooter.
yea,, the guys that ride the giant cruiser bikes love to point and laugh when they see a scooter ride by, but I laugh at them knowing how dumb they are cause they have no idea what they are missing!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,336
Nobody laughs at other riders around here, no matter what they ride. A Harley pulled beside me yesterday at a light and said hey, thats what I need. This thing is not that great on gas. We are all one happy family on two wheels.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Nobody laughs at other riders around here, no matter what they ride. A Harley pulled beside me yesterday at a light and said hey, thats what I need. This thing is not that great on gas. We are all one happy family on two wheels.
Thats great you have friendly people around there, everybody around here hates everybody else, well? thats too strong, the way people are around here is when they first meet or see you their first reaction is they hate your guts, but after they get to know you, they are the best trusted and loyal friend you can ever have.
The HD guys are kinda friendly when they are alone, but when they are in groups they turn into a**holes, they have to impress their other HD friends and the fat, old tatto'ed women passengers by pretending to be tough guys just because they ride a HD, but when rush and confront them they turn into jello, i have been in many fights in the past I kinda miss it and i want a reason to rearrange their face!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I certainly haven't noticed slab traffic slowing around my area, except for the usual gaggle of inept drivers that always have trouble figuring what lane they should be in, choke at the slightest curve, etc.

Otherwise you're well advised to check mirrors regularly for passers on either side!
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
#1 people are slowing down to increase their gas mileage, conserve gas, save money.
#2 people are slowing down cause they can't afford a speeding ticket in this tight economy
#3 people are slowing down cause more people own smaller, higher gas mileage cars, that have smaller and lower powered engines where these engines don't perform as good at higher speeds (climbing mountains)

I would like to see the max speed limits lowered to 55 mph on 4 lanes and 50 mph on 2 lanes, this would conserve fuel, force lower gas prices, make the highways safer and would help the smaller, lower powered cars.
Todays small cars have more powerful engines than ever before. They can easily run 70+ all day, even in the mountains. I remember when most small cars had 55-90 HP. Today they mostly have 100-150HP. Motorcycles and scooters are also more powerful than they used to be.

A national 55 MPH speed limit was tried before. It sucked big time. 55 is ridiculously slow if you actually want to go somewhere. When the 55 MPH speed limit was raised, traffic fatalities went down.

The only thing a 55 MPH speed limit would do is greatly increase ticket revenue and insurance company profits since they would have reason to raise many peoples rates. Drivers would be even more bored with driving than they are now. They would be doing distracting stuff like texting or watching videos while driving even more. Also, when speed limits are artificially low, the speed differential between drivers increases dramatically as some drive the speed limit and some drive at a speed that seems natural for the conditions. Around 70MPH seems to be a natural speed for most people on a highway, that has been my obsrvation anyway.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,786
Maybe it's the economy with a lot of people out of work?
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Traffic hasn't slowed in Houston nor have I noticed less of it but then we don't really have decent public transportation.

As for dropping the speed limit back to 55 - no thank you. I do too much long distance driving and west Texas is hypnotically boring enough already. In urban areas you rarely get to go much over 55 except maybe late at night but when you are going 1100 miles dropping the speed limit in places like Kansas, most parts of Texas, Wyoming, etc. just makes me want to scream & cry.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yea I am glad that the interstate is now a reasonable option. Its SO much faster in certain situations. For example, if I want to go to target which is about 2 miles away from my house, it would take about 8+ minutes in traffic in the city. Its just one exit on the interstate and then your basically in the parking lot, which would only take about 2-3 minutes to get there.

Now the scooter is certainly not a comfortable, all day interstate cruiser, BUT I find that a few miles on the highway now and then don't hurt at all. I'm going near WOT the whole time, but from what I read these little Honda motors don't mind it much. But if I want to go on a long highway ride, I'd take the Shadow. But the scooter is a scooter, and running errands is much more efficient, and having the ability to go on the highway is nice.

But this ISN'T really bad at all. Actually, its great for us scooterists! So don't be afraid to take your 150 cc scoot on the interstate! Well I understand in some areas it won't work well, but you won't know until you try it!

As for a 55 MPH speed limit, I don't think its necessary. Thats just too slow in a car. We don't need it. I mean hey if people are already driving 55-65 MPH for the most part in most places, then why make people pissed and get more tickets? Besides, if you enjoy driving 55 MPH, your obviously not usually in a hurry! I know of lots of fun 55 MPH scenic roads and backroads if you want to enjoy the ride.

And for small cars and power, I don't think their losing any! Even a 2.0 liter 4 banger economy car has decent performance these days. They will accelerate from 0-60 in around 7-9 seconds, and they'll run about 120+ MPH. A Civic or even corolla offer ok performance. They'll cruise along at 80 MPH without breaking a sweat.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote