Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #316
Wanna Ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
The Sportsters with low suspension are difficult to make comfortable for two up riding because there is not enough suspension travel. You have to put such stiff springs in them for two up, the ride is really stiff when solo. If you want to ride two up, you will be better off with the Roadster. But they only made them from 04 to 08 (perhaps 09). The 04 to 08 Roadsters had only 3.3 gallon tank. The 09 Roadster had 4.5 gallon tank. I may be off on the actual years.

I have an 06 Roadster, I am 6' 3" tall. I have a Harley Sundowner (2 up) seat which moves me forward and up. I also added two inches of foam and a Air Hawk air cushion on top of that. I have added forward pegs just to have a different place to put my feet for comfort. My wife is 110 lbs in gear, and with a back rest, we can ride comfortably. But only for short 1/2 day rides. If you add two heavy people, with weekend gear, you can overload the Sportster. Solo, I can ride all day with Ricor suspension, and feel better at the end of a long day than most people, regardless of what bike they ride.

07 was the first year of the FI bikes on the Sportsters, and there were significant problems. The general quality of FI tune was not too good, lots of surging problems, and lots of aftermarket FI parts made the FI bikes run worse. The XIEDs are probably the easiest mod to fix FI. Corroded relays were also a big problem with 07 bikes. It appears these problems have been solved with later bikes.

Road King air shocks are a popular mod that can provide a reasonable ride solo and two up by changing air pressure.

Works Suspension is making an air shock also, but I have not read any reports about it.

The poor ride quality of rubber mount Sportsters is directly related to junk suspension from Harley and most of the aftermarket. Ricor Intiminators and Ricor IAS shocks prove the Sportsters can have an excellent ride. The 09 and later bikes appear to have better stock suspension than the earlier years.

Wanna Ride screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 10:03 PM
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #317
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Comfort

My 04 883custom is not very comfortable, but it's not terrible. I did a little over 200 miles yesterday after work. Took a grad school final exam and still wasn't totally beat up. It does have an awful suspension. The seat is ok, though.
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I like it with or without the windshield. I love the nice clean air.
I hate the forward controls. Hate. Them.
I love the sound. Love the 53 mpg. Love the little kids always saying 'nice bike'. Love the feel of the bike overall. But the comfort isn't there. When I want comfort I drive a car though. That's easy.
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #318
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
YMMV but Sportsters suck 2 up, no room what so ever for anyone to move about, its like riding in a stuff sack.
I am 5'10" as is my girl. I weigh 170 and she is around 140. We have done many day long rides with no issues. The only time we were unbearably uncomfortable was a ride down to the Keys in heavy traffic. It turned into a 12 hour ride and our asses were killing us. Stock seat,stock suspension on an 09' 1200c with mid controls.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #319
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
I am 5'10" as is my girl. I weigh 170 and she is around 140. We have done many day long rides with no issues. The only time we were unbearably uncomfortable was a ride down to the Keys in heavy traffic. It turned into a 12 hour ride and our asses were killing us. Stock seat,stock suspension on an 09' 1200c with mid controls.
Twelve hours?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #320
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,215
The bikes can be improved a lot by fitting longer rear shocks and doing some fork work.
Progressive suspension sells shocks in half inch steps.
My 2009 1200 low came with 11.5 inch shocks and I went to 13 inch long shocks.
That gives a LOT more travel, and some real damping.
It transformed the ride into a normal motorcycle type ride, from the spongy hard tail sort of ride.
It also allowed the bike to go around turns as fast as cars do without grinding hard parts.
The stock forks were soft and WAY under damped.
Thicker fork oil made a huge improvement, progressive springs helped a bit also.

Some guys like the road king air shocks (can be got used cheap) but I like the quick easy step adjusters on regular shocks, position 1 solo luxo ride, pos 2 solo sport, step 5 two up.

After the work, the ride is very nice, its just the mid peg location and the massive weight that spoil the bike for a taller rider.
Overall, its not bad though, fun to ride, mostly comfortable, handles ok for the weight, brakes are fine, very low maint needed, great mpg.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #321
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Ride View Post
The Sportsters with low suspension are difficult to make comfortable for two up riding because there is not enough suspension travel.
I'm on the stock 2006 XL883 suspension. It's not great, but at least it isn't the low setup. Holding off on upgrading it until I'm sure I'll keep the bike for more than another year or two. If the wife likes riding 2-up, I'll have to trade for something more suitable.

Quote:
I have a Harley Sundowner (2 up) seat which moves me forward and up. I also added two inches of foam and a Air Hawk air cushion on top of that.
Did the Sundowner move you up/forward without the extra padding? Or, only after adding it?
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #322
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, I read through the various suspension threads over at XLForum. But, came away just as confused. Most of the talk was about either making the low suspension tolerable, or set-ups for heavier riders.

Is there a thread that talks about a normal height setup for an average weight rider? I'm 5'7" and < 170lbs.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #323
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
For front suspension, I installed Progressive fork springs, added a fork brace, and used 15wt fork oil. For the rear, a set of 13-1/4" FXDX shocks with progressive springs and adjustable rebound damping. I weigh about 200, and the shocks are fine on the loewst preload setting, leaving plenty of adjustment for a passenger.

Two on my bike (with the 2-up seat lictured here) are kind of cramped, but not bad for shorter distances. The low bars help, too.

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #324
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Twelve hours?

Yeah, our asses were on fire and not in a good way.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #325
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,531
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #326
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey View Post
Also, I read through the various suspension threads over at XLForum. But, came away just as confused. Most of the talk was about either making the low suspension tolerable, or set-ups for heavier riders.

Is there a thread that talks about a normal height setup for an average weight rider? I'm 5'7" and < 170lbs.

Check out the 7 pages of suspension stickies. There's 2, and I'm not sure why they're called 7 pages.

In a nutshell, ricor intiminators in the forks & works dual rate springs are supposed to rock. Can't speak of the srings, but the intiminators are worth the $$. Google discount codes, I got 30% off with one when I ordered.

Rear - you'll get a thousand suggestions. Ricor is claimed to have the greatest shocks too, but they're terribly pricey (actually they're discounted now, but still over $600 ). Too much for me. I've got 13.5" 12 series progressives (95/120 springs) and they're not much better than stock. I wouldn't buy them. I'm right around your weight (170-180 w/ gear). Search xl for the whittlebeast hybrid shocks, cheap and good for guys our weight. That's my next attempt.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #327
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
I hate the forward controls. Hate. Them.
Ditch them and you'll come out ahead. My roadster came with forwards, sold them for $200 and picked up mids for $50.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #328
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Ditch them and you'll come out ahead. My roadster came with forwards, sold them for $200 and picked up mids for $50.
+1. I bought an '04 1200R a couple weeks ago, PO had put forward controls on it.

Got a set of new mid-controls off a Nightster for $80, and the bike feels like a real motorcycle again. I personally don't know how anyone can ride with forward controls. I put about a hundred miles on the bike before I could switch them out and never felt like I was in complete control of it.
zataomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #329
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Rear - you'll get a thousand suggestions.
Thus the confusion. :)

Quote:
Search xl for the whittlebeast hybrid shocks, cheap and good for guys our weight. That's my next attempt.
That was the way I was leaning, but I thought the Whittlebeast hybrids were for a low set-up? Or, does the recommended spacer bring them back up to 13"?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #330
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

You use a roadster body which is 13.25" and slap on a spring from a custom with a spacer so it does retain the 13.25" total length.

If you don't have either I could see making these being either kinda pricey or time consuming (if you wait for a deal). I've got the stock roadster shocks, so I just need to source a set off a custom - even still, trying to find a set of an 09 or later for under $100 hasn't happened yet in 5 months.