ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #31
jamnjim
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 19
more mods

I emailed you a sketch, but after considering it a litte more, I'd like to tweak it a bit. I called, but you were not available, give me a buzz when you have a chance and we'll talk more. THX!
jamnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
frank walsh
Adventurer
 
frank walsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Newington, CT
Oddometer: 60
Strom

Any thoughts about a rack for the DL1000/650? We will be at Wilgus park this weekend in case you want to take some measurements :-)
Frank
__________________
Frank
Newington, CT
frank walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #33
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank walsh View Post
Any thoughts about a rack for the DL1000/650? We will be at Wilgus park this weekend in case you want to take some measurements :-)
Frank
Frank, I have thought about it and it would be easy for me since I have a DL650 myself. Are you thinking about a replacement for the OEM alum. rack or just an add on larger platform? Wilgus SP? I haven't been to that one yet, but I don't know if I'll be able to find time to get away.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 09:26 AM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #34
frank walsh
Adventurer
 
frank walsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Newington, CT
Oddometer: 60
tom:
My son in law has a DL1000 and wants a larger platform to replace the stock rack. He currently has a Suzuki side and top rack deal on it now with the Kappa bags but hates them. So he is pulling the mounts and looking for a good size platform for dry bags, etc.
I have a 12X18 flat aluminum plate on my Wee but can't remember where I got it.
The Wilgus SP is a Yankee Beemer first of the season event called the Frosty Nutz Rally. I went last year and had a great time.
Frank
__________________
Frank
Newington, CT
frank walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #35
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank walsh View Post
tom:
My son in law has a DL1000 and wants a larger platform to replace the stock rack. He currently has a Suzuki side and top rack deal on it now with the Kappa bags but hates them. So he is pulling the mounts and looking for a good size platform for dry bags, etc.
I have a 12X18 flat aluminum plate on my Wee but can't remember where I got it.
The Wilgus SP is a Yankee Beemer first of the season event called the Frosty Nutz Rally. I went last year and had a great time.
Frank
I won't have time to develop a new rack for a while. I'm a Misc. Metals subcontractor currently swamped with other fabricating projects. I will get to it sometime though. The aluminum plate attaches to your existing rack? My main concern with them is the sharp edges in a getoff.

I've heard of the Frosty Nutz Rally. It sounds like a rather uncomfortable kind of fun, but I guess not too bad as long as it's followed shortly by a Toasty Nutz Rally.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #36
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
Still have 6 of these left. I can put a RotopaX mounting plate on them too.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #37
fishdawgz
living the dream
 
fishdawgz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Merry-lander
Oddometer: 155
More installed pics

Tom,
I got the rack and installed it in five minutes - nice design work. I added an agri-tool-tube and my Wolfman Enduro bags and they matched up great. Thanks for making an excellent product at a very fair price!






fishdawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #38
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
Fishdawgz, I'm glad you like the rack! Hope you get many years of luggage carrying use from it. Good looking bikes there and I like the tool tube too. Look me up if you are going to be riding up here in Vermont. I know where a lot of the good stuff is. - Tom
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 08:10 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #39
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
This rack is for sale and has a mounting plate w/nuts welded on the backside for bolting the RotopaX Pack Mount down and can be removed quickly when not needed. Also has bungie loops in each corner. Pack Mount and Gas Pack not included.

$99.00 shipping included to anywhere in the USA including Alaska and Hawaii.




__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #40
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rhino_adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: central Illinois (Bloomington)
Oddometer: 621
Hi Tom,.....Having any luck fabricating a larger rack for the DR650? I would like to see a rack with the ROTOPAX mount on the left side (like the one you did for your DRZ) and a guard over the exhaust on the right side to protect soft panniers. Ill be standing in line for one if you decide build them!!!!!!

ride safe!!
__________________
Old Bridges Thread
Riding the TWAT
475+ Bridges in Illinois,
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #41
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino081460 View Post
Hi Tom,.....Having any luck fabricating a larger rack for the DR650? I would like to see a rack with the ROTOPAX mount on the left side (like the one you did for your DRZ) and a guard over the exhaust on the right side to protect soft panniers. Ill be standing in line for one if you decide build them!!!!!!

ride safe!!
Hey Rhino, I am not making the side mounts for the Gas Packs and I took the one on my bike off. The DRZ's aluminum subframe twists and flexes way too much. Twelve lbs. hanging on one side is not a good idea in my opinion. The wider the rack is, the more leverage the Gas Pack's weight exerts on the rack and subframe. The DR might handle this a little better with it's steel subframe, but I still don't like the idea.

What width are you thinking for a DR rack? The exhaust shield is certainly doable, as is a center mount plate for the RotopaX Pack Mount.

I have been busy with other fabricating work and haven't had a chance to develop the DR rack yet. I need someone to bring me their unmodified stock original DR for me to design it. Of course whoever brings it will get a free rack.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 05-14-2011 at 07:43 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #42
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rhino_adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: central Illinois (Bloomington)
Oddometer: 621
Dr650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
Hey Rhino, I am not making the side mounts for the Gas Packs and I took the one on my bike off. The DRZ's aluminum subframe twists and flexes way too much. Twelve lbs. hanging on one side is not a good idea in my opinion. The wider the rack is, the more leverage the Gas Pack's weight exerts on the rack and subframe. The DR might handle this a little better with it's steel subframe, but I still don't like the idea.

What width are you thinking for a DR rack? The exhaust shield is certainly doable, as is a center mount plate for the RotopaX Pack Mount.

I have been busy with other fabricating work and haven't had a chance to develop the DR rack yet. I need someone to bring me their unmodified stock original DR for me to design it. Of course whoever brings it will get a free rack.


Tom,....I would like a rack 17 inches wide and extend back 12 inches beyond the rear of the seat. I would like to see pannier racks intagrated into this, coming down 12 inches, starting right in front of the turn signals and going to the rear of the plastic side covers on both sides ( I like my soft luggage as far back and as high as possible). I feel the subframe of the DR would be sturdy enough to carry a 1gal. Rotopax if it is mounted as high and as close to the fender as possible.

I wish I was close enough to loan you my DR, but im 1/2 way across the country.

thanks
__________________
Old Bridges Thread
Riding the TWAT
475+ Bridges in Illinois,
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #43
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino081460 View Post
Tom,....I would like a rack 17 inches wide and extend back 12 inches beyond the rear of the seat. I would like to see pannier racks intagrated into this, coming down 12 inches, starting right in front of the turn signals and going to the rear of the plastic side covers on both sides ( I like my soft luggage as far back and as high as possible). I feel the subframe of the DR would be sturdy enough to carry a 1gal. Rotopax if it is mounted as high and as close to the fender as possible.

I wish I was close enough to loan you my DR, but im 1/2 way across the country.

thanks
Brad, when I have the time and when someone brings me a DR I will see if those dimensions will work. The rotopax mount in close to the fender just might work with the DR. It will take some R&D work.

I'm too busy with other work right now and to be honest, haven't sold more than a few of the DRZ racks. All of my customers have been very happy with their purchase though. There isn't enough profit at the price I sell them for to be worth turning away other more profitable projects.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #44
homere
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: agua dulce ca.
Oddometer: 105
Wow, That looks good !!
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #45
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Oddometer: 372
These racks are absolutely awesome! Any plans for a KLX250 rack?
__________________
2009 KLX 250S
If it ain't broke, take it apart and find out why!
rgoers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014