ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
2011 Wet Duck

Anyone doing this one? I will be in Dewatto this weekend and the wife said "Hey, that's just down the road. You should do this ride!"

So I will.

I am hoping to get my DR350 back together (rear wheel bearings are toast) but if not, would it be too crazy to do this on a DR650? I think it's all single track but just wonder how gnarly it is. That 650 just feels much heavier than the 350 and doesn't have as aggressive knobbies on it.

Anyone done this before? Whatcha think?
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,629
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Anyone doing this one? I will be in Dewatto this weekend and the wife said "Hey, that's just down the road. You should do this ride!"

So I will.

I am hoping to get my DR350 back together (rear wheel bearings are toast) but if not, would it be too crazy to do this on a DR650? I think it's all single track but just wonder how gnarly it is. That 650 just feels much heavier than the 350 and doesn't have as aggressive knobbies on it.

Anyone done this before? Whatcha think?
Some details would be nice...

Think I've done a "dry" duck run before - nice routes, a little challenging for time if you like to stop and look around (went through Chehalis w/free admission to the motorcycle museum there - oops, lost an hour!)
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

google ~IS~ my friend!
Sunday, May 15 7:30am - 10:00am

More InfoTacoma Motorcycle 2011 Wet Duck Poker Run

Sunday, May 15th, 2011
Belfair, WA Elfendahl Staging Area Tahuya

Details:
Trophy's & Contingency prizes
Easy Course 15-20 miles
hard course 30-40 miles
Spark arre stors & ORV Tags Required
Sound Test (repack those silencers)
Please Carpool!

Cost: $28

Flyer at: http://www.tacomamc.com/page10.html

Sign-up 7:30 am to 10:00 am
Riders Meeting 9:00 a.m.
Last Rider Out - 10:15 a.m.

Event maximum riders - 380 riders
pre-registration - to be posted when available

Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks Tony,

I had found that info but was wondering just how tough the 2 different courses are. It tells me the length of the hard course is twice the length of the easy one, but not much info on what the conditions are. Like I said, I'm hoping to get the 350 together but am just a bit nervous about riding the DR650 on single track if it's too sloppy. I just put some less aggressive tires on the 650 so it's not really set up for really mucky trails. Just wondering if anyone had done it and could tell me about the conditions. I've ridden a little around Tahuya but don't really know the trails well.
If I must take the 650 I'll just go for it. If I see it's just to tough for me on the bigger bike I'll just bail out and go drink beer and eat shrimp.

Thanks
Dean
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,087
I haven't done this particular ride, but the short course is probably doable on a DR650, just based on length and my inference that quads will do the same course. That means no really gnarly single track on the short course, to me.

I think you'll find plenty of folks to help you out of tough spots, and probably a reasonably easy bail out back to the staging area if you really get pooped.

Wish I could go with you.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Yeah - I read those comments on the facebook page about ATV's... guess they wouldn't want my hack out in the woods, eh?
One a these days I'll get a little bike...
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I have been to a few of these wet ducks in the past and they are doable on a larger bike like the 650's. The trail system in Tahuya is wide single tracks, and depending on the route there are a few spots that run you through the woods, but then again it's wide enough for the larger bikes like a DR650.

Wet duck is probably what you will get to, because of all the rain we have had in the last months the puddles down there are pretty good sized around the staging areas and beyond.

Should be allot of fun though. Just bring dry socks for when you are finished.

manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote