Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #20296
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Get yourself a mid-cage rear derailleur, it'll allow you to run a 36T low-gear cassette. I did that on my GF's 'cross bike. I actually prefer her 46/36 'ring gear spacing better than the compact gearing on my 'cross.
Was thinking about that, but I am trying to lose about 20kgs this year so that should help.

I did the same hill 3 weeks and had to walk so I am getting better.

As they say "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #20297
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 971
Spent my morning and early afternoon assembling the Vaya:

Ran into a hiccup early on when I realized that the frame had bosses for downtube shifters, rather than cable stops like the Fargo. I'd need a set of cable stops made to mount on those bosses.

But then a lightbulb went on in my head: I already had exactly the required parts. They'd come with a set of barend shifters I picked up a few years ago for another project. At the time I hadn't been sure what they were (I've never owned a bike with downtube shifters) and I hadn't needed them, so I chucked them in a box and forgot about them.

Until this morning. I went over to my storage unit and sure enough, there they were in the box labeled "bike drivetrain bits". Sometimes being a packrat is useful.

Took it out for a shakedown cruise this afternoon. Mostly pavement, and poached a couple of miles of singletrack in the trail system where I've been going running for the past month. It's about what I expected -- doesn't eat up the asphalt miles as eagerly as my Roubaix, doesn't carve the trails like my fat tire rig. But for dirt roads it'll be just right, and it'll make a good commuter, too. (I'm starting with that next week, weather permitting.)
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #20298
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I want to ride brevets and as such, I'll incur some nighttime riding. I had to make a choice: batteries or dynohub, LED or halogen. Peter White seems to be the US expert on these devices so after spending a fair amount of time on his site, I went with a dynohub and selected a Schmidt SON28S unit - made in Germany.

Good choice on the lights. I have two SON hubs. One on my Kogswell (20R) and one on my Salsa Fargo Ti (28). On the Kogswell I run a Supernova E3 and the Fargo has a Supernova E3 Triple.

I hope you have fun on brevets. I really enjoy them. I've completed up to a 400k. I think they are the best way to see your state.

Here's a familiar sight on a brevet.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #20299
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
A Ti Fargo? Awesome! If any bike is my dream bike, that would be it. Can't wait to follow your track on the TD! Man, I hope the weather turns better than last year's race. Its been cold and wet so far.
Yeah, I hope so too! There's some talk of a possible re-route around the Flathead because of snow levels. Should be interesting. Less than a month away!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #20300
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,148
In the Flea Market...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687285
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #20301
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Well that was the first time in a while THAT happened.

My legs pulled a Petacchi a few miles from the end of the ride. Locked up. Didn't wanna ride no more. I could spin, but I didn't have any oomph.

First few pedal strokes outta the driveway I could tell I wasn't on a good day. The guy I was riding with was trying to rip my legs off on the climbs. Took till mile 30 for him to do it, but he did it. All in all tho, a bad day that good is still not bad. (if that makes sense )

Right before I hit that wall, he was demonstrating what 500w was. I was right beside him at that point... Next few hills did me in.

M
Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #20302
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
47 degrees and sprinkles

But I got out for a bit. Not the most expensive bike, but I rode mine today and I'm feeling great about it.

Sorry for the supersize pic, but it is the best I can do with free image hosting. You get what you pay for and all of that. I hope you folks got out too. Good times.

SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #20303
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
I'm now a USAC class C ref, next month going for my Motoref the day after suffering through the Hillbilly Roubiax

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #20304
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,861
I used to ref back in the day. It was fun for a time. huge amount of work and sometimes frightening.
That was with the USCF, I have no idea what is going on now in bike racing in the states.
Good luck. Be careful out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I'm now a USAC class C ref, next month going for my Motoref the day after suffering through the Hillbilly Roubiax
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #20305
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Get yourself a mid-cage rear derailleur, it'll allow you to run a 36T low-gear cassette. I did that on my GF's 'cross bike. I actually prefer her 46/36 'ring gear spacing better than the compact gearing on my 'cross.
It needs to be a mid cage mountain derailleur. Read the specs on road derailleurs, they are not rated for anything bigger than 28 teeth (except for apex). A mountain derailleur will follow the line of the cassette better. If you use a road Der you will have to crank the b-tension out and you will have sub par shifting in the small cogs.
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Just because a derailleur has a longer cage does not mean that it can handle a large cassette.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #20306
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Well that was the first time in a while THAT happened.

My legs pulled a Petacchi a few miles from the end of the ride. Locked up. Didn't wanna ride no more. I could spin, but I didn't have any oomph.

First few pedal strokes outta the driveway I could tell I wasn't on a good day. The guy I was riding with was trying to rip my legs off on the climbs. Took till mile 30 for him to do it, but he did it. All in all tho, a bad day that good is still not bad. (if that makes sense )

Right before I hit that wall, he was demonstrating what 500w was. I was right beside him at that point... Next few hills did me in.

M
Hate those days! But then there are those sweet, sweet moments when all the wind completely settles down and the only sound you can hear is your own breathing and the tires on the asphalt. It's those rare moments that make all the shit days forgotten. (today was not one of those, but dammit I can dream...) 500 watts is no easy task to hold for any length of time without uncontrollable drooling on your rig and rolling blackouts of your vision. damhik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Very nice, congrats!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #20307
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Weekly miles

I rounded out my weekly total today 154, somewhat over what I wanted. I didn't mean to rouned it out with a 48 mile ride. A few hills thrown in for good measure. So I start building my mileage , something I should have done over the winter. It is what it is: I'll have to accept that.It's all good
Just got a Big bottle of Rum from the ABC store.(state owned Liquor store ) for those don't have these. good times in the morning when I get off work.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #20308
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Tomorrow should be fun, did 400 miles on the 950 in the rain today, tomorrow, 2 TT's in the rain 1st thing in the morning. I'm going to try to win my age group and then go back out and set the course record for fixed gears. I already have the record for standards (drop bar no aero and technically the fixxed gear but I rode it in the age group class so it didn't count

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #20309
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Good choice on the lights. I have two SON hubs. One on my Kogswell (20R) and one on my Salsa Fargo Ti (28). On the Kogswell I run a Supernova E3 and the Fargo has a Supernova E3 Triple.

I hope you have fun on brevets. I really enjoy them. I've completed up to a 400k. I think they are the best way to see your state.

Here's a familiar sight on a brevet.

Thanks ErrinV - middle of the night at a control point/convenience store?

I'm looking forward to it. My first 200-km will be in early Nov. and it includes a well-known hill in the world of motorcycling: Yarnell Hill which supposedly drops about 3000 ft in six miles.

I did 100-km today. It started out nice and cool and got warmer and warmer as the morning turned into early afternoon. I have a long ways to go before I'm proficient at longer distances but I suppose if it were easy, everyone would be doing it! I feel pretty good though - I'm fairly certain I could do it again tomorrow if I had to. I don't so I'll use the day to recover.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #20310
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Rolling out for 80 miles in a few minutes. This route has a couple truly epic climbs; one is about 5 miles at nearly 20% in a few spots. I'll post a plot if it doesn't kill me.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: