ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Question regarding kids in compact trucks

I have an extended-cab Ranger with the center-facing jump seats in back. I let my kids ride back there (5 and 9) but my wife isn't convinced that it's legal so I don't do it very often. Our other car is needing to go to get some work done on it and we're going to be stuck with just the Ranger for a few days, meaning that it will be my wife driving, the 2-year-old in front in her carseat with the airbag off, and the other two in the back. Does anyone know if the booster seat law for <8 y.o. applies to the jump seats? They are lap-belt only. Thanks.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,750
It's the WA DOT's fault.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,992
Does this apply? You may be OK. With the law anyhow.

KEY PROVISIONS of Washington's Child Restraint law:
. Children under 13 years old be transported in the back seat where it is practical to do so.
. Children up to their 8th birthday, unless they are 4'9" tall (which ever comes first), must ride in a child restraint. (For example a child car seat, booster seat, vest, or other restraint that is federally approved for use in the car.)
. The restraint system must be used correctly according to the car seat AND vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
. Vehicles equipped with lap-only seat belts are exempt from the requirement to use a booster seat.
. Children 8-years of age or at least 4'9" who wear a seat belt MUST use it correctly (never under the arm or behind the back) or continue to use a booster.
Shoulder belts must be used with booster seats at all times! A child is exempt from the booster seat law requirement, only when a child weighs 40 pounds or more and is in a vehicle with lap-only belts.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Does this apply? You may be OK. With the law anyhow.

KEY PROVISIONS of Washington's Child Restraint law:
. Children under 13 years old be transported in the back seat where it is practical to do so.
. Children up to their 8th birthday, unless they are 4'9" tall (which ever comes first), must ride in a child restraint. (For example a child car seat, booster seat, vest, or other restraint that is federally approved for use in the car.)
. The restraint system must be used correctly according to the car seat AND vehicle manufacturer's instructions.
. Vehicles equipped with lap-only seat belts are exempt from the requirement to use a booster seat.
. Children 8-years of age or at least 4'9" who wear a seat belt MUST use it correctly (never under the arm or behind the back) or continue to use a booster.
Shoulder belts must be used with booster seats at all times! A child is exempt from the booster seat law requirement, only when a child weighs 40 pounds or more and is in a vehicle with lap-only belts.
Oh duh. I read that same blurb and totally spaced that part out. Thanks - I think that covers it.

She's still not happy regardless if it does turn out to be legal. Might give me the out to go shopping for a new Super Duty.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
Not sure

I work with a car seat inspection technician, and asked her once regarding children in my small Nissan pickup and the requirements. She knew what was legal off the top of her head, but she also advised me most patrolmen do not know the laws very well (I was asking about backward facing seats in my pickup that does not have air bags)

Long story short, I wouldn't worry about it too much, whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote