ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
mr. matteeanne OP
Barned

Oddometer: 14,237
Great/remote lake in North Cascades?

Want to go canoeing in the North Cascades. Have a 4x4, anyone know any excellent lakes on Highway 20 area, North Cascades? Thanks!
Sean
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
There's a big lake west of the summit. Ross lake I think.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
There's also a couple rivers that's fun with a canoe, but you'd have to hitch a ride back.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,136
Sean, Ross lake is big, if I remember right there is a remote camp area that you can only access with a boat on the other side of the lake. It's been several years since I've been there tho. There is also Diablo lake all part of the Seattle city light and a very cool dam tour if you get time. You could hit Lk Chelan and head to the north part of the lake and then canoe back in to Stehikan (sp) Again lot of years since I've been there but there is a very small little town back there that you can only access by ferry.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Sean, Ross lake is big, if I remember right there is a remote camp area that you can only access with a boat on the other side of the lake. It's been several years since I've been there tho. There is also Diablo lake all part of the Seattle city light and a very cool dam tour if you get time. You could hit Lk Chelan and head to the north part of the lake and then canoe back in to Stehikan (sp) Again lot of years since I've been there but there is a very small little town back there that you can only access by ferry.
There are a number of small docks and "harbors" along the shores up and down Lake Chelan. Can launch from Wapato Point or 25 Mile state park and work your way up the lake. The problem with Chelan is the afternoon winds and now there is a fire up near Stehiken (Rainbow Bridge Fire). There is a website that list sthe docks and facilities around the lake as well as local brochures. Most require some sort of payment for boats to moor to a dock or bouy, but canoes likely would not since you can beach them. Not sure how the camp site fees, if any, are handled then.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
How much you wanna paddle?

Ross Lake has remote campsites all up the lake, as was mentioned. The last one before the CA border is Hozomeen. Cool place, but a long way from anything. You are not in the middle of nowhere, you are well beyond the middle with no way back but the way you came.
There are numerous small lakes in the wilderness area that you can get to, but the portage in might be a chore. Cutthroat and Blue come to mind, both up near the summit of Washington Pass.
There is very little 4X4ing to do along the NC hiway, as it is mostly wilderness area beyond the 1/4 mile corridor that gets the road thru.

There is a short rapids right below Diablo Dam in Gorge Lake that has a neat backwater so you can whitewater down and paddle almost all the way back up. I used to paddle whitewater 'yaks in it.

Here's a tip for ya:
Twin Lakes is a nice 4X4 run along the Mt. Baker hiway. Last year there was a big camping group of young wimmin up there that decided clothing was optional.

Not that I would look, but so it was rumored....

Just remember, it's one thing to paddle it, and another to spank it

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
bricaud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
check out Caskey Lake

Check out this lake. I went up there for the first time this last week. The road in is fairly easy and there are nice camp sites on the lake shore
http://goo.gl/maps/vefJ
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
sirloynz
Puny Human

Oddometer: 1,095
Baker Lake and Lake Shannon might be fun, off highway 20 near Concrete.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
mr. matteeanne OP
Barned

Oddometer: 14,237
Ended up in Colville. Moose Galore, great trip, two thumbs up. Lot's of ORV legal riding.