User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #541
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
That's looking good.

Now your making me think about doing something similar with the exposed bits of frame on my bike. Damn you and your making it purdy ideas .
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #542
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
That's looking good.

Now your making me think about doing something similar with the exposed bits of frame on my bike. Damn you and your making it purdy ideas .
Lmao... It just kind of came together that way. Thanks though, its appreciated. I gotta tell ya, this thread is FANTASTIC for help and ideas on these bikes. And it just keeps going... at this rate we will need out our website for the 160's.
Scrambler Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #543
Carnivorous Chicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
shifter lever seal, headlight, speedo?

Checking back in after a while, great to see some other builds.

My 160, not bad but a little ratty (see earlier in thread -- although I spruced it up some), took a 1st place trophy here in PHX, best Japanese bike. Could have been only Japanese bike... although there were 5-6 others.

Stupid question #1: I've developed a slight leak where the shift lever comes out, drips onto the exhaust. Anyone have a part # or size for the seal? I haven't looked more closely at it yet, as I don't want to get into it until I have the part. Some seals on Ebay are "transmission" seals -- right part for the job?

Not-so-stupid question #2: I am working on a CB350F and am going to cafe it -- big plans include 4-4 pipes but off of a CB400F header. Other big plan: speedo and headlight as one piece. Anyone who did a cafe number on their bike and/or eliminated their headlight wanna sell theirs? Speedo needs to work...
Carnivorous Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #544
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Chicken View Post
Checking back in after a while, great to see some other builds.

My 160, not bad but a little ratty (see earlier in thread -- although I spruced it up some), took a 1st place trophy here in PHX, best Japanese bike. Could have been only Japanese bike... although there were 5-6 others.

Stupid question #1: I've developed a slight leak where the shift lever comes out, drips onto the exhaust. Anyone have a part # or size for the seal? I haven't looked more closely at it yet, as I don't want to get into it until I have the part. Some seals on Ebay are "transmission" seals -- right part for the job?

Not-so-stupid question #2: I am working on a CB350F and am going to cafe it -- big plans include 4-4 pipes but off of a CB400F header. Other big plan: speedo and headlight as one piece. Anyone who did a cafe number on their bike and/or eliminated their headlight wanna sell theirs? Speedo needs to work...
Not sure what seal you need but I have similar leaks. Honestly, I am going to pour some engine stop leak in there and see what happens.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #545
peterockwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
stuck,stuck and stuck again

I started trying to get my CB175 K0 to ride-able condition as it has been sitting for awhile. The last time I fired it up in March, it was running but somehow there was not acceleration even the throttle was wide open. So my first thought was the carbs. I ordered a rebuilding kit from Jerry Cycle, replaced the stuffs 2 weeks ago when the parts arrived.

Turned out the battery was weak when I tried to fire up with the new carbs bits and pieces. That's not all, the throttle cables seems to be stuck, the right carb leak like it's drowning. The "t" piece I bought to distribute fuel from 1 pet cock to to 2 carb melted (guess the plastic was not meant for Gasoline). Opened up the right switch housing trying to lube the cable broke the throttle sleeves as it was really dirty in the right switch housing and the sleeve just got brittle after a long period of non service to the innards of the housing, that was full of greasy substance. Bought 1 cheap sleeve to try get the cable going and check if the cable action was block by something. Attached photo taken 2 years ago, now it looks slightly tired. Will post pic of current state later, with some parts being removed.
peterockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #546
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 132
Thought I'd jump into this thread at last. I've been mulling over this little one slowly for a few years now. Started out with a frozen engine and a bunch of other missing bits. Just about done with it except for a few loose ends.

I'm having some difficulties with getting the headlight/tailight to work. Headlight bulb lights tests as good but will not light up otherwise when on the bike. I cannot trace down whether it's the toggle for the high/low-beam on the handlebars or what. I've got the speedo lights all functional, including neutral light and it seems to pull power from there.

Odd thing is that the tail light also won't light up except for when the brake pedal is depressed and the ignition is set to where the gauge cluster isn't lit up. I don't have any holes or open spots in the stock wiring harness (except for where the starter relay would go — but that shouldn't give me any troubles — should it?)

What gives?! Any thoughts guys? This thing is nearly ready to go except for this and it's killin' me.

Everybody loves pictures…

Before:

Currently (the shiny black on one on the right with CB77 bars):

I know, I need to re-route the throttle cable.

.fisher screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 06:44 PM Reason: i suck at typing
.fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #547
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 173
Don't put stop leak in your engine!! The oil journals for the top end are very small and only operate on 3-5psi, any loss of pressure or volume and goodbye cam and cam blocks along with rocker arms. There is a seal on the shaft that is easily replaceable without taking the engine off/or apart. I have seen many of these engines that use cam blocks that have eaten up the blocks/cams/rockers due to low flow often caused by lack of cleaning the slinger out, you want things clean and flowing, I would rather have a small annoying leak than a trashed upper end.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #548
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroming it softly View Post
Don't put stop leak in your engine!! The oil journals for the top end are very small and only operate on 3-5psi, any loss of pressure or volume and goodbye cam and cam blocks along with rocker arms. There is a seal on the shaft that is easily replaceable without taking the engine off/or apart. I have seen many of these engines that use cam blocks that have eaten up the blocks/cams/rockers due to low flow often caused by lack of cleaning the slinger out, you want things clean and flowing, I would rather have a small annoying leak than a trashed upper end.
Ok Ok!!! No stop leak then.... I am going to seafoam it though. I seem to have gotten it to idle finally but there is still some issues when riding, though they are lessening. I suspect it has something to do with sitting for 20 odd years. Maybe the seafoam will get the last of the crap out of the carbs.I cleaned the slinger out once already and I am planning on doing it again soon. Turns out my fancy dancy 2-1 exhaust is blocking the oil drain plug though. Ooops.....
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #549
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .fisher View Post
Thought I'd jump into this thread at last. I've been mulling over this little one slowly for a few years now. Started out with a frozen engine and a bunch of other missing bits. Just about done with it except for a few loose ends.

I'm having some difficulties with getting the headlight/tailight to work. Headlight bulb lights tests as good but will not light up otherwise when on the bike. I cannot trace down whether it's the toggle for the high/low-beam on the handlebars or what. I've got the speedo lights all functional, including neutral light and it seems to pull power from there.

Odd thing is that the tail light also won't light up except for when the brake pedal is depressed and the ignition is set to where the gauge cluster isn't lit up. I don't have any holes or open spots in the stock wiring harness (except for where the starter relay would go — but that shouldn't give me any troubles — should it?)

What gives?! Any thoughts guys? This thing is nearly ready to go except for this and it's killin' me.

Everybody loves pictures…

Before:

Currently (the shiny black on one on the right with CB77 bars):

I know, I need to re-route the throttle cable.

Nice Bike! Have you checked the ignition switch? It has like three positions on it, and one of them makes the lights come on. Mine didn't have a switch so I put in another one and rewired at the plug so the lights come on when the key is on all the time. If I remember the white wire in the harness is for the taillight, brown is for the headlight, they are on the same circuit. There is a CB160 wiring diagram on here somewhere that lays it out, that's how I got mine going. Actually wait a minute...

There you go. Oh, I also wired mine so the second set of charging coils are on all the time, figured I might as well what with the lights being on and having indicators on the bike now. I charge at between 12.5-13v. Not a whole lot but enough to get by. I only have two wires coming out of my ignition switch (it is from a CL175), the rest of the changes I did at the ignition switch plug with spades so it would be reversible. Oh yeah. check your grounds.... there is one inside the headlight (green wire) and the headlight switch just grounds to the bars I think.

Scrambler Weirdo screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 07:14 PM
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #550
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterockwell View Post
I started trying to get my CB175 K0 to ride-able condition as it has been sitting for awhile. The last time I fired it up in March, it was running but somehow there was not acceleration even the throttle was wide open. So my first thought was the carbs. I ordered a rebuilding kit from Jerry Cycle, replaced the stuffs 2 weeks ago when the parts arrived.

Turned out the battery was weak when I tried to fire up with the new carbs bits and pieces. That's not all, the throttle cables seems to be stuck, the right carb leak like it's drowning. The "t" piece I bought to distribute fuel from 1 pet cock to to 2 carb melted (guess the plastic was not meant for Gasoline). Opened up the right switch housing trying to lube the cable broke the throttle sleeves as it was really dirty in the right switch housing and the sleeve just got brittle after a long period of non service to the innards of the housing, that was full of greasy substance. Bought 1 cheap sleeve to try get the cable going and check if the cable action was block by something. Attached photo taken 2 years ago, now it looks slightly tired. Will post pic of current state later, with some parts being removed.
Thats a nice bike man. Good luck with the repairs!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #551
Carnivorous Chicken
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
There you go. Oh, I also wired mine so the second set of charging coils are on all the time, figured I might as well what with the lights being on and having indicators on the bike now. I charge at between 12.5-13v.
How'd you do this? My regular battery was draining pretty quickly, so I replaced it with a gel battery that lasts much longer, but I still need to recharge it, especially if I've been riding at night. I thought I just had a weak coil, but if there's a way to get more juice out of it maybe it'll help.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #552
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
How'd you do this? My regular battery was draining pretty quickly, so I replaced it with a gel battery that lasts much longer, but I still need to recharge it, especially if I've been riding at night. I thought I just had a weak coil, but if there's a way to get more juice out of it maybe it'll help.
I think I connected the pink and yellow together at the switch, but I don't remember 100%. Best to go over the schematic and break out the multimeter.... Pretty sure that's what I did to kick in the other coils though. I still need to go around and make some new grounds, they are pretty weak on these bikes.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #553
Carnivorous Chicken
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
I think I connected the pink and yellow together at the switch, but I don't remember 100%. Best to go over the schematic and break out the multimeter.... Pretty sure that's what I did to kick in the other coils though. I still need to go around and make some new grounds, they are pretty weak on these bikes.
Pink and yellow at the ignition switch?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #554
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

Quote:
Pink and yellow at the ignition switch?
Yeah, thats what my 67 had up there. Actually if you can find my earlier posts I probably posted something about it when I first did it.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #555
Scrambler Weirdo
Espresso Racer

And now mine isn't charging corectly either.... fuuuuuck......