ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
rosscoact OP
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,500
Oz Topo 3.0 Upgrade

Woohoo, it's at the duplicators according to their blurb, and it's $99 to upgrade

April 2011

Big news this month is that OZtopo V3 has gone to the duplicators. We expect to have stock in time for the Rosehill Show so if your there and would like to have a look at it drop in. We will have new stocks for sale but unfortunately we wont be able to process upgrades at the show.

Speaking of upgrades, we'll be posting more information at www.oztopo.com.au very soon on how to claim your V3 upgrade. We will not be automatically posting out V3 upgrades. More information on V3 information is given below.

Safe travelling,
Brian

sales@gpsoz.com.au
www.gpsoz.com.au

Tel: 02 9999 2313

OZtopo V3.0 - As mentioned above, V3 has gone to the duplicators and will be available shortly. There has been many changes in V3 mainly based on customer feedback, so keep it coming. While we do a lot of computer testing and field testing we may have overlooked something and hence your feedback is vital in keeping this product the best in its class. New features for V3:

********** . Updated mapping data from MDS as at Q4 2010
********** . Addition of CAMPS6 locations
********** . Mountain peaks with heights
********** . Updated National Park, State Forest and Reserve Boundaries.
********** . added Outback features, homestead names, windmills, bores etc
********** . Tracks and roads visible and higher zoom levels
********** . new colours, POIs, simpler installation process and the list goes on..

V3 will be primarily distributed on a micro SD card. These cards will be non duplicatable but can be used on multiple GPS units. Cards will be available in 2GB, 4GB or 8GB sizes depending on your needs.

We will also include OZtopo on USB card so you can install it on your PC or MAC for use with Garmin Software, eg MapSource or BaseCamp. Note however that OZtopo will not be able to be downloaded from your PC/MAC to your GPS. If you have a GPS unit that uses Garmin proprietary cards or no card at all (eg GPSMAP 60) then please contact us for an alternative distribution.

For those that purchased V2.1 on or after 1-Dec-2009 you may request a free upgrade. We will not be automatically sending out V3 upgrades. Upgrades will be available after the Rosehill Show ie w/c 9th May. For us to process an upgrade you must supply your receipt number, your OZtopo V2.1 serial number and send in your SD or micro SD card. More details and important packaging information will be posted on www.oztopo.com.au shortly.

Upgrade pricing for V1 and pre 1-Dec-2009 V2.1 customers, $99 plus delivery. Same conditions as outlined above.

New customers, $229 plus delivery which includes 2GB card, plus 2GB USB card. Please specify GPS model when ordering. Larger card sizes available at additional cost.

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au

rosscoact screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 02:24 PM
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,326
7:24 am? You still on holidays Rossco?

Good news they've released it finally, but a real bummer about the SD card bullshit I reckon. I know Brian says it's a good thing, but I still have my reservations about it.
GodSilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
rowdy_im
KTM 625 Snowy Mountains

Oddometer: 378
Oz Topo 3.0 Upgrade

All

Just notice on the Oz Topo website that the 3.0 version is ready

will be interesting to see how it is

just in time before a big trip I have planned

cheers
Rowdy
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
MungoP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Blood everywhere ?

So who's going to be on the bleeding edge?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
No Auto routing......

I noticed this in the Bumf:

Note: OZtopo does NOT provide Auto-routing. ie it will not automatically calculate your turns or speak to you
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
I noticed this in the Bumf:

Note: OZtopo does NOT provide Auto-routing. ie it will not automatically calculate your turns or speak to you
Ouch! that was the big selling point for the upgrade, autorouting. I have a feeling this won't end well at all.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
af300e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I have a feeling I can't be farked with it. I'm running a 276c and since it's only available on data card and hoops I'd have to jump through to load it on my unit are both too many and too high, I'll probably just give garmin topo a go.

A quick read suggests it's pretty much like v2b apart from having tracks come in at wider zoom level and some other changes which haven't convinced me to upgrade.

No routabity is the nail in the coffin. I have almost $500 worth of maps on the unit with city nav and oztopo, If oztopo v3 was routable I would have given it a go. As it stands now I'd have to spend $300 to upgrade both mapsets if I use oztopo vs $200 to just use the garmin topo.
Makes the choice much easier...
af300e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
rowdy_im
KTM 625 Snowy Mountains

Oddometer: 378
Wink

sent my micro SD card back for the upgrade today

whats the worst that could happen

its a free upgrade ,,for those that have brought in the last 18 months

can only give it a go ,

cheers
Rowdy
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 439
Steer well clear of this product people. We had version 2.whatever it was and it was garbage. It was so difficult to use that my wife struggled to use the gps at all and I gave up entirely and went back to just using maps. Their maps were very inaccurate with rivers and roads just stopping in the middle of nowhere and the claim of five meter contours was complete bullshit. Numerous times we noticed valleys and other large physical features simply didn't exist on their maps. I did notice that the new "improved version" has been revised to 10 meters It frustrates me that they can still market this when garmins topo australia is so much better. These clowns are years behind the competition with their product. If you can find any one who has used the garmin product and still has any thing good to say about oztopo I would be amazed.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 439
Hey guys, just noticed that the clowns at Oztopo have finally managed to drag their updated version 3 out and gee wizz it looks like they have even managed to go back wards. V2.1 "claimed" five meter contours and the new version is only claiming ten meter. This wonderful new product to compete with garmins Topo Australia cant even auto route. What is the point. I had a look at their forum and noticed the majority of the posts were people trying to rectify problems with the software and their website warns that they cant get their VOIP to work so please use a normal phone to ring them. Gee that sounds like the type of switched on tech savvy company Id buy a product from.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
rosscoact OP

I bought the update today $99, sweet. The mapset beats the shit out of the garmin's and I only need autorouting in the city. I cant remember the last time I rode through a city

Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact View Post
I cant remember the last time I rode through a city
You stopped taking your medications again?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
rosscoact OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
You stopped taking your medications again?
there's a lot of things I can't remember

Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
gpsoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Steer well clear of this product people. We had version 2.whatever it was and it was garbage. It was so difficult to use that my wife struggled to use the gps at all and I gave up entirely and went back to just using maps. Their maps were very inaccurate with rivers and roads just stopping in the middle of nowhere and the claim of five meter contours was complete bullshit. Numerous times we noticed valleys and other large physical features simply didn't exist on their maps. I did notice that the new "improved version" has been revised to 10 meters It frustrates me that they can still market this when garmins topo australia is so much better. These clowns are years behind the competition with their product. If you can find any one who has used the garmin product and still has any thing good to say about oztopo I would be amazed.
I feel compelled to respond since we created the product.

We never offered 5m contours in any of our products

As for autorouting it was suggested/mentioned as a possibility in V3 some time back. We decided against after asking our customers what they would prefer, more detail or autorouting. More detail was voted 5:1 in favour.

We spent a lot of time looking at autorouting and found several flaws. The data available (doesn't matter whos) is basically divided into two classes, sealed and unsealed. We would like to see more classifications specifically in the unsealed category, eg track, difficult track, really difficult track and have a GPS that has the option to say which level of track you would like to use. Without this you could easily send a RAV4 down a very difficult track.

For the gentleman that has a 276c, we have a solution for you. We can provide a downloadable product like other Garmin maps and supply you with an unlock code to suit your 276c just like we did in V2. Just ask. It not aour mainstream advertised/preferred way of selling OZtopo but its available.

We have created multiple versions of OZtopo to suit different Garmin models. For example if you take a handheld product like Topo Australia and put it on a Nuvi the contours are 4mm wide. Not ideal.

Apart from autrouting, which in your case may be vital, I would challenge the statement "garmins topo australia is so much better"

For example:
More recent maps
10m vs 20m contours
contours that can be turned off
outback features like, wells, homestead names
superior zoom levels for map viewing and trip planning
optimised versions for different GPS models
2.4M km of roads and tracks - Garmin doesn't specify how many in theirs.
upgrade options without re buying the entire product
inclusion of CAMPS6 locations

regards
brian
gpsoz is offline   Reply With Quote