Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #196
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I am a big fan of the XR1200/XR1200X and want it to be a big success in the US. We in the US whined because the bike was only available in Europe, and HD finally listened and made it available here. I'd hate to see it fail here.

jon
I think it's turning out to be relatively successful for HD. When it was introduced here I wondered if it would be another XLCR/XR1000 scenario - one or two model years, couldn't sell, blown out at big discounts, then after a few years becomes a cult classic. I don't see them clogging up the dealership floors and they seem to sell for MSRP, most folks that have them seem to really like them. I'd try one out, but if I did I'd probably buy one. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #197
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I'd try one out, but if I did I'd probably buy one. :-)

My Boss told me yesterday: "If it ever stops raining take mine out for a day... See what you think"

A day???
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #198
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
My Boss told me yesterday: "If it ever stops raining take mine out for a day... See what you think"

A day???
You better take him up on that.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #199
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
You better take him up on that.
Oh I plan to. I just hope he understands the mileage it will have at the end of the day.

I would warn him to schedule his next service... But he owns the store so he doesn’t need to schedule services.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #200
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Oh I plan to. I just hope he understands the mileage it will have at the end of the day.

Do it, man!! And then write up your thoughts about it. By the way, there is a pretty good forum for the XR1200:

http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/index.php

Scroll down just a little and click on forum.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #201
spenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Downside to owning an XR1200:
When your clutch cable breaks, it takes over a week to get a new one in stock.

Blah, well it's there they're checking out the weeping rocker guards. It's been there since Monday, and I'm going to call tomorrow to see how everything is going. Do dealerships always treat warranty customers like crap?

Fortunately the weather #$%king blows right now and I've only missed one decent day of riding.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #202
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny View Post

Blah, well it's there they're checking out the weeping rocker guards. It's been there since Monday, and I'm going to call tomorrow to see how everything is going. Do dealerships always treat warranty customers like crap?

Fortunately the weather #$%king blows right now and I've only missed one decent day of riding.
I don't know your dealer's work schedule or anything like that, but all it takes is a phone call to have that clutch cable shipped overnight (assuming it isn't backordered for some reason). Of course the dealer probably doesn't want to do that because it costs them extra money.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #203
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

No, they don't. We next day air many parts if it's a warranty situation. And next day air costs us a minimum of about $55.00 from HD to Wa. State and goes up from there. Any dealer can also do a search to see if any nearby dealers may have the part. Sometimes I'll have the part shipped from another dealer in state and we pay more for the part, but can have it shipped for maybe $8.00-$10.00, and can still get it by the next weekday.

jon
Old 05-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #204
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Where are you at? (fill out your profile n00b) Our store has clutch cables in stock and likely would have fixed your bike while you enjoyed a cup of good coffee.

Our service dept. is closed Sunday/Monday... Not sure what the store you are dealing with does but is may be Tuesday before you get your answer.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #205
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
That's been my experience as well. The XR has enough unique parts (combine with very low volume) that dealers just don't tend to stock much. I've had to wait the week for snail mail parts for a number of warranty items and through at least 4 different dealers (three had been closed down during my ownership).

Inquired about the overnight thing and was told that it only applied to travelers not living within a certain radius of the dealer - "Hog Down" program or something.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #206
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Inquired about the overnight thing and was told that it only applied to travelers not living within a certain radius of the dealer - "Hog Down" program or something.
This is why some Harley dealers deserve to fail. If any of those lazy bastards would make a call to their rep or even just call tech services and explain the situation, they'd get reimbursed for the shipping.

I nearly lemon-lawed my first BMW, a 2000 RT. It broke a driveshaft after only three months. The local dealer had it for 6 weeks. It took three parts orders before they finally got everything they needed correctly, not to mention the fact that they misdiagnosed the broken driveshaft as a burnt clutch and tried to charge me for it. When - on the third parts order - they said they felt bad they'd had my bike so long and offered to overnight the parts instead of making me wait another week for a standard order I went ballistic. I told them I would have overnighted everything the first time at my expense if only they'd offered me the option.

It really amazes me to see how some dealers are nothing short of an epic fail when it comes to customer service. I ran service for a family of three dealerships for years. It ain't the easiest job in the world, but it isn't rocket surgery either. On those occasions when we really pissed someone off I'd say better than 50% of the time it was completely avoidable if the employee had only taken a minute to put themself in the customers shoes, and then treated the customer the way they would like to be treated.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #207
spenny
Adventurer

I'm from Vancouver, BC. I guess it doesnt help I didnt bring it to the dealer I bought it from.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #208
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Ordering parts next day air in warranty situations is a decision made by the individual HD dealers. We don't get reimbursed by Harely-Davidson when we order parts next day air. Our dealership eats the cost---but we still do it. I ordered a fuel pump for a fuel injected bike on Saturday, and ordered it next day air on a warranty situation. HD won't process the order till Monday.They'll ship it Monday and we'll get it Tuesday. Our servioce department is closed Sundays and Mondays, though the dealership is open seven days a week.

I worked at a Mitsubishi Fuso dealership for many years, and they did not pay next day air freight in warranty situations either. They'll cover the cost of the part and whatever their labor allowance is for that job only.

The only time HD ever paid air freight on a part was when I recently ordered five different Buell part numbers on a warranty job, and they pulled one of the five parts wrong. They sent a totally different part number than the one I ordered. I called SPOC (if you work at an HD dealership you know what department that is) and they appologized and then sent me the correct part next day air at their expense. They made a mistake, accepted responsibility for it, and took care of it.

We have also, on occasion, borrowed a part from another bike, to get a customer on the road. Say it's a warranty situation, but the part is on back order. You can also place an order called "down vehicle", which basically means, the part is on back order, but when it does become available, HD will ship it next day air (at the dealers expense). In extreme cases, say, a warranty situation and part on back order, HD can pull the part right from the motorcycle production line.

If it's a painted part, there is no getting the part in a few days, as painted parts are almost all vendor direct with an extra 7-days, 14-days, many times 28 days out or more. But painted parts are usually just a paint flaw and don't make the bike unrideable.

Maybe if a guy is buying a new HD motorcycle, they should ask the service department what their policy is on warranty parts. Do they order the parts next day air or regular ground. I think if the defective part renders the motorcycle unrideable, then the part should be ordered next day air. If it's just a cosmetic problem then most owners would be reasonable and ride their bike till the part arrives. If it was my bike, and the problem didn't take the bike out of service, I certainly would't demand they next day air it.

I have Sunday/Monday off, but if I was at work I'd look up the part number of the clutch cable to see it its different than the other Sportster modles. The XR1200s do have a lot of proprietary parts not used on other XLs (such as the rocker box gaskets etc).
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #209
spenny
Adventurer

Well the dealership called me yesterday, but before they were able to get to the point my phone died. I was in the area anyway, so I stopped by to see what was up. Apparently the wrong cable was sent! (I'm assuming they ordered the wrong cable) And it will be another 2, that's right, 2 weeks before the right one arrives! FML
Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #210
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
FML
No, F your dealer. What a load of crap.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote