Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #31
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,235
Great report John and you got wood too boot!

Here's a shot of you making it through that corner at least once.

Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #32
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Great report John and you got wood too boot!

+1 Great way to finish the season and get motivated for next season. Congrats!
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #33
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,741
Thanks guys!

I'm having a lot of fun.

Here's a couple of shots courtesy of Glenn Gardner Photography.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #34
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

Well, after a long down time and missing the first few races because I was out riding in Colorado, I'm back at it.

My first race was October 23rd in Bostwick, FL. This was my first race in the Super Senior C class on the longer, tougher Sunday course.

My practice lap went terribly. The course was very difficult with endless roots, mud holes, and tight trees with roots and mud holes. I was actually considering not racing. I had not ridden the 250 since the last race of last season, and I felt like it was my first time on a dirt bike. It didn't help that the first thing I saw when entering the woods was a rider down, obviously very seriously injured, being helped\held down with what turned out to be a broken femur. Seeing and hearing the pain and trauma really shook me up and affected my riding for the rest of the practice lap.

I was persuaded to race by my friends who said I would be ok and get the feel after a while. I'm glad I took their advice because I really did feel much better when the race started. It was still very challenging getting through those foot-high roots and knee-deep mud ruts but I was doing ok.

Unfortunately I had yet another bike issue that caused me to have to quit early. In the off season I installed a Scotts stabilizer and like an idiot I forgot to use Loctite on the mount. Halfway in to the second lap I started feeling a little play in the bars. It soon turned in to a lot of play and I realized the bolts were backing out. In danger of having the bars come off completely, I finished the second lap carefully and called it a day.

I was at least glad to have gotten a couple of laps in and done my first Sunday race.

Only one pic from Bostwick.

My Ride Reports
Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #35
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

Next up on the FTR schedule was Bartow, FL on 11/6

I had heard that this property was very nice and the course would be a lot of fun and one of the best of the season. I was not disappointed as the course was tough but beautiful. The area was actually a little bit hilly (by Florida standards) and there were not many roots, not much soft sand, and only one real muddy section. The Sunrunners Club did a great job of laying out a challenging route with some steep up and downs, lots of tight trees, some jumps here and there, and even a small motocross section. It finishes with a big step-up jump nicknamed the Escalator.

Here is a video taken by a rider in another class, but shows the course. The trees start at around 2:30 and get tighter further in to the race.

I think I did pretty well. I did three laps and finished in the middle of the pack, 16th out of 27. Fitness is definitely an issue with the longer course and racing 2 hours instead of the 1 1/2 hours in the beginner class. My legs were starting to cramp and I was sitting way more than I should have been on the last lap.

I had a couple of drops and stalled the bike once in a sandy uphill section that took quite a few kicks to get started, but no crashes and I had my first Sunday race completed. It was the best feeling to see that checkered flag!!

I'm looking forward to the next race, especially after the soreness is gone and I can walk normally.

Thanks for reading! See ya in December.

My Ride Reports
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #36
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Beating almost half the field on your 2nd Sunday race !!! Nice job John.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #37
gun 4 hire
FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer: 128
Thanks for helping me calm my nerves at the Bartow
Race John. Really appreciated your support. Looking forward
To racing with you in Myakka in 2 weeks.

Steve
87 Honda Rebel 450 {soon to be ratted}
http://tat09.blogspot.com/
gun 4 hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

I've done a couple more races, I just have not had time to update the thread.

Racing on Sunday in the Super Senior Class is definitely a lot of fun. I feel like I am improving even though the results don't really show it.

In one recent race in Brooksville, Fl. I managed to break the plug off the bottom of my CDI ending what was a very fun race on a really cool course.

Last week I had my first real crash, high-siding and going over the bars in spectacular, Superman style. I bounced right up and finished the race. The course in Okeechobee was very difficult and I was happy just to finish. My ribs and wrist are still pretty sore. The old body doesn't heal like it used to apparently.

Here are some photos from the last two races. Thanks again to Glen Gardner at G2 Photos, Mike Belle, and some other FTR members for taking and sharing the photos.

My Ride Reports
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #39
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

Forgot these from Myakka

My Ride Reports
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
better watch it - you look quite competent in the one of you in the rut with your foot out!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #41
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Hell we all looked good in that one (notice my elbows up)...it was the practice lap

Great report John and you're getting there !!!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #42
CramerTV
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Glad to see you're back at it for another year. It's great to see all the pictures. Keep us up to date and good luck!

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #43
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

Just wanted to update. I haven't been posting on here but I have been racing some.

I just raced up in Brooksville this past weekend and it was really fun. This is one of, if not the best properties that we race on in FTR.

The course was very technical in some parts, very challenging but super fun to ride. This property has a lot of hills so there was some steep up and down stuff, and hardly any sand.
It also had some wide open fields, jumps, and of course tight woods.

My riding is definitely improving and I'm really having fun running mid-pack for the most part. I finished fifth this time, my best finish so far in the Sunday classes. There were only eight riders in my class but I still feel good about my ride.

Here's a couple shots from the race. I had to make a temporary front number plate for this race because I lost the real one in the woods at the previous race and I'm still waiting for it to be sent to me.

My Ride Reports
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #44
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206

That pic above looks familiar John. Are we in the same class buddy ?
Be in Brighton this weekend.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
DolphinJohn OP
Really, Really Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post

That pic above looks familiar John. Are we in the same class buddy ?
Be in Brighton this weekend.

Ha!! Yes, David, we are. I hope to be as fast as you some day! Congrats on the win at Brighton!!

Last week's Okeechobee race was a struggle for me with those big soft sand whoops. I managed a fifth place finish but there weren't many in our line again. Here's a cool series where I was trying to hold off one of those old Class of 66 guys. Ornery old codgers aren't they?

This past weekend in Brighton I was on Larry's (60c) wheel the whole first lap and could not get around him. Every time we came out of the woods he wood hammer that Honda and not let me get past before the trees again.

I had a real good time racing with my good friend Steve (90c) for a while until we caught up to Larry who had stalled. Steve got around him on the right and I tried to go around on the left up high on a sand berm. I ran out of room up there, stopped by the trees and tipped over with the bike nearly upside-down. I had to wrestle it down to a spot where I could kick it. By the time I got going Steve and Larry were long gone and I was never able to catch them.

All that tugging and lifting the bike sapped my energy and I couldn't push hard enough to make up the lost time. I only got two laps in because of the long course.

I'm looking forward to Sarasota. Looks like you won't be in C much longer.

See you in a couple weeks.

Here's a pic from the start of Yesterday's race in Brighton.

My Ride Reports