Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #61
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,700
Thanks, I'll see what I can find and give it a try...got an overnighter I'm planning.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #62
TheBreeze2010
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Food on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardad View Post
Ok, I made a comment on a travel thread to our friend Questor on what crap we tend to eat when on the road. Others chimed in and agreed that we all felt better and had more fun when we stopped eating that greasy roadside shit.
This is the thread for moto cuisine. No GORP or single pot 'dont look, just eat' ideas. How to eat healthy on the road. Recipies and ideas.
Ready, GO.
Been reading the threads on this subject and it is "food for thought" (no
pun intended). Have traveled alot 1 0r 2 up. What works for me is something light in the morning, coffee, oatmeal or a donut. I travel about 100 miles and stop and have a substantial breakfast. I love those Mom and Pop resturants that usually have a special that is cheap and filling. This meal will carry you over till dinner time. Be sure to drink water over
the course of the day and have good snacks, fruit, nuts etc. A multivitamin is important too. Stay hydrated and enjoy the ride.
TheBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #63
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Enjoying this thread guys, I'm taking notes...

You might find some ideas at www.overlandgourmet.com

They cater to the 4-wheel overland folks, but surely there's some things that would apply to us moto-travelers.

Honestly, one of the best things about travelling outside North America (U.S. & Canada) is how nutritious, cheap and delicious the roadside food is.
It's all rice, beans, fruit, veg' and meat. The fish is from close by, the chicken was running around the yard earlier that day
You have to go out of your way to find greasy, unhealthy food.
Way out West-1280109

Canada farmer breakfast (I do love this stuff too, I just know it ain't good for you!)
Way out West-1230275

USA Elvis breakfast
Way out West-1260997

Roadside fish lunch, Mexico
Way out West-1280120

$3 chicken dinner, Panama
Way out West-1310938

You know - if you can find them - green plantains travel well. They're those huge green bananas. "Unripe" green plantains taste somewhat like potatoes, but better. Just slice em, fry em, dash of salt and some salsa.

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 09:54 AM
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #64
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,451
Before the start of last season I set up to cook in camp. I purchased an MSR dragonfly stove, very loud, but very good for cooking. Boil to simmer and evrything in between. I also bought a set of pans, collapsible plate's and put together a small box of cooking stuff. I also have a polar bear cooler for keeping food cold.

My personal preference when camping is to rise early, make coffee, then make breakfast. I like to make scrambled eggs with some ham,mushrooms,spinach. If I am hungry I will also add some canned hash(but that probably wont fit my new diet well)

Egg's and hash from last spring..

For lunch I usually eat on the road, preferably in a restaurant. Usually a burger or sandwich..

For dinner I like to stop at a local market or store and find something to cook up. Stirfry's work well, sausage, peppers, onions and shroom's is a favorite. I also carry a grill from time to time to be able to grill some chicken. I am really only limited by what I find for supplies along the way. Uncle Ben's ready rice is good stuff and an easy side dish.

Steak stir fry

Grilled chicken with some rice and veggies

I actually prefer to cook in camp as I see it as part of the camping experience. When my wife travels with me she enjoys the fact hat I cook for her. It is also a great way to control our diet.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #65
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I like to make scrambled eggs with some ham,mushrooms,spinach.

I would like to improve in the breakfast department, but I have some bad habits and prejudice.

The bad habits revolve around time management. If it is past sun up before my kickstand is up, I feel like I am behind. So, I usually skimp on breakfast. Coffee and a bowl of grits is the usual. Some fruit if I had the chance to pick anything up the day before. I also carry a small softpack cooler.

The prejudice concerns eggs. How do you carry and resupply? I sometimes carry egg solids bought from the local Amish. They travel well, but they lack in culinary delight. I can use them in a few recipes with some success, but trying to scramble or add them to something like grits has always ended with less than pleasing results.

I think it has been mentioned before that some carry them poured into a fluid tight bottle. Is that the best method? A bottle big enough to hold a half dozen so that you can refill on the road? Is it common enough to be able to pick up a half dozen in most markets?

I have one of the plastic cases supposedly suitable for whole egg transport. I just can't bring myself to trust it, it has been unused for over 20 years.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #66
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
You can trust the plastic case // sort of//

They are designed to prevent you from crushing the eggs while in a pack and are not really designed to keep eggs from breaking against the plastic while bouncing around on a moto bike.

Some stores will not have eggs in a 6-pack, just find a store that does and by two of them to take home. Those store shelf paper packs are great if you are smart enough to pack them correctly. Use parts of an old rag to add some 'stuffing' inside the case to keep them from bouncing, and then insert into a quart ziplock. Voila, you can carry eggs. Hardboil the other 6 for quickie snacks on the first two days of the trip.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #67
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
...the prejudice concerns eggs. How do you carry and resupply? I sometimes carry egg solids bought from the local Amish. They travel well, but they lack in culinary delight. I can use them in a few recipes with some success, but trying to scramble or add them to something like grits has always ended with less than pleasing results.

I think it has been mentioned before that some carry them poured into a fluid tight bottle. Is that the best method?
I don't think so. Eggs have a pretty highly evolved packaging system and will stay fresh in the shell for weeks as long as they stay relatively cool. Google usda & eggs. I would just take them in the cardboard carton, wrapped in a ziplock bag and some spare clothing.

Course, I've never actually DONE this, but larryboy seems to be successful at this...

Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #68
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 489
PWRCRZR, man I'd camp with you any day!
That, looked good.
Actually, I try to eat reasonably well and somewhat regualry, which means that I have to carry some stuff with me. Just trying to get some good lean protein.
What really gets me is all those stories one hears about 'this great country cooking place, blah..blah', 90% of the times I frequented such establishment I ate beans and corn out of the can- in the middle of the damn corn country, but I guess WalMart/Cosco cans are cheaper.
Usually what's implied is that it's going to be finger licking drenched in
grease. I'll rather have an apple and a protein bar. Same goes for dual sports, I always read later how the food was 'delish!', and never do, but
want to reply 'I pity you since you never had italian food apparently, what part of noodles with Ketchup was 'delish'?

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #69
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,057
Over here you can get heat treated eggs in cartons like what milk comes in, albeit in smaller volumes. Surely that's the case in the US too?
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #70
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Eggs have a pretty highly evolved packaging system and will stay fresh in the shell for weeks as long as they stay relatively cool.
Yup, what he said
Grocers in many countries do not keep eggs in a refrigerator.

Keeping them intact, off-road on a dual-sport is another matter.
I've only lost a few using the above method (half-dozen eggs in cardboard package, double ziplock, packed in something soft.)

I keep it simple, hard boiled with a bit of Maille Dijon

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #71
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Grocers in many countries do not keep eggs in a refrigerator.

And I assume that to be true. Eggs, from the farm and unwashed, will keep for an extended time with very little attention. Unwashed is a key item in primitive storage. I buy a dozen every Monday morning from a local, brown and beautiful. I can't get that very often on the road, but in the time frame that we operate, I don't feel that is an issue.

Quote:
Keeping them intact, off-road on a dual-sport is another matter.

And that is where the overwhelming majority of my prejudice lies.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #72
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
...Keeping them intact, off-road on a dual-sport is another matter...
Quote:
...And that is where the overwhelming majority of my prejudice lies.
So what if a few don't make it? Some fresh eggs are better than none fresh eggs.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #73
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
So what if a few don't make it? Some fresh eggs are better than none fresh eggs.
And, another of my bad habits. I'm a military planner. To the brig for the private that would break an egg. "We" carried it, "we" should eat it. Waste is something I cannot walk into willingly.

No man, or egg, left behind.

The truth is, I would consider the attrition ratio far too high. I consider the possibility of whisk eggs on my lounge wear too high. Prejudice?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #74
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
...Prejudice?

Some might suggest stubbornness?

I'll step away at this point.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #75
akadvntr
Frozen

Oddometer: 220
Recipe websites

After an afternoon of websurfing out of boredom, I ran across these sites that had interesting recipes.

http://www.wildbackpacker.com/food/r...ipesindex.html

http://www.onepanwonders.com/

They share recipes, so some are redundant.

2008 KLR650 sold 1-4-14
2012 VStrom DL1000
akadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote