Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #931
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 313
Hey 950 - John and Johan are the experts to answer the mechanical issues.

The symptoms my bike made were progressively harsh bad clanking grinding noises like the starter gear was not engaging properly. Hot starting was worse than cold starts. I replaced the torque limiter. Now with the old or new torque limiter the starter might engage for a moment only to spin like there is no resitence and it's not turning anything. My next guess as the culprit for my 950's non starting is the Sprag Clutch/Freewheel Hub. I haven't sourced a new Sprag Clutch yet but it does look like it is a Brog Warner part.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #932
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorretto View Post
John, you do me too much credit. I'm an owner, rider and interested observer but mechanical expert nah!

I leave that to Johan

He da man

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #933
GreaseSnake
2wheeled maniac

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorretto View Post

The symptoms my bike made were progressively harsh bad clanking grinding noises like the starter gear was not engaging properly. Hot starting was worse than cold starts. I replaced the torque limiter. Now with the old or new torque limiter the starter might engage for a moment only to spin like there is no resitence and it's not turning anything. My next guess as the culprit for my 950's non starting is the Sprag Clutch/Freewheel Hub. I haven't sourced a new Sprag Clutch yet but it does look like it is a Brog Warner part.
Sounds like the sprag to me too.
E-mailed you today, before I read this post

Kr
J
2007 Aprilia RSV1000R Tuono (for the missus)
A 100% Sushi-free
Highland for the fun and Aprilia for the run
GreaseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #934
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Johan and John - you guys are the best.

Johan thanks for the information on the Sprag - I sent an email to order two; need one on the shelf just in case on two levels; my known talent to FUBAR a simple RR and second the bike don't go when it goes.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #935
950v2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Leeds View Post
Starter motor runs but will not turn the engine. Usually turns over once or twice then just labours. Makes you think the battery or starter motor is crocked. Good battery does not fix the problem.
Can you (or anyone) explain why?
I dont really get the function straightend out in my mind.
The torque limiter is there to pick up the reverse torque when the engine kicks back so the starter will not be broken, that much I get. But for the "forward" function I can not see why it can not turn the engine around if broken?
Is it slipping?
Is it grinding and stalling?

If the starter would rev up and not driving the enging around I would get it that the sprag is broken. Nothing strange about that. But with the torque limiter... whats up with that heap of metal gears?
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #936
Thumber
Sweden

Oddometer: 31
Torque limiter

I clearly suffer from a sliping TL. I took it out to examine it and it slips at 28 Nm which is to soon. I have tried every tool in the shed to tighten it but failed. I also used them again to pick it appart for cleaning and reassembly. Another failure. I do not have those special brackets and i think that would be the key to success. Is this a standard bracket that any old mechanic has i the workshop or is it Highland special? Meaning: Do i have to make my own brackets or shall i go around in the nieghborhood to find a mechanic?

/TF
Thumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #937
Thumber
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950v2 View Post
Can you (or anyone) explain why?
I dont really get the function straightend out in my mind.
The torque limiter is there to pick up the reverse torque when the engine kicks back so the starter will not be broken, that much I get. But for the "forward" function I can not see why it can not turn the engine around if broken?
Is it slipping?
Is it grinding and stalling?

If the starter would rev up and not driving the enging around I would get it that the sprag is broken. Nothing strange about that. But with the torque limiter... whats up with that heap of metal gears?
The thing is that the TL is just a TL no matter what direction the engine is running and at what speed.If the engine runs faster (FWD) another freeweeling gear will compensate for that. This is what happens when the engine is running nomally after start up. If the engine runs slower than the starter it will slip. If the engine does not turn at all the TL will slip even more and if the engine finally runs backwards the TL will be slipping alot to make it possible for the starter to continue turning in the same direction whitout totally burning up. I had to open the cover and gently running the starter for short bursts to find this out. Not obvious for a non mechanical guy.

BTW i just talked to Martin and Frank at Rollox. They explained that the small gear on this device is screwed tight all the way through the threads down to the bottom. If you want to tighten it you need to take it apart and put another washer / schims between the gear and the spring washer to increase the slip torque. Have to try this later. Frank told me
brackets is the shit for this kind of work.

/TF
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #938
950v2
Adventurer

New torque limiter. Solved my starting issues.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #939
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Thanks Rollox

New Sprag Clutch brings joy to this side of the pond.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #940
Thumber
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950v2 View Post
New torque limiter. Solved my starting issues.
Mine too. It only worked for 25000kms. Not good enough or has your lasted even shorter? Frank told me there is no autodecomp and the starter is a powerful thing that eventually wears the TL out.

I tried to take the malfunctional TL apart but failed big time. I will not try again for some time....

/TF
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #941
950v2
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
Mine too. It only worked for 25000kms. Not good enough or has your lasted even shorter? Frank told me there is no autodecomp and the starter is a powerful thing that eventually wears the TL out.

I tried to take the malfunctional TL apart but failed big time. I will not try again for some time....

/TF
Mine lasted only about 12000km. I talked to Lillen and he said that eventually the backfires will break the torque limiter.

I have a friend with a Husaberg 650 that have had about the same starting issues. He now took the TL apart and put a shim in to get the right torque and it worked fine again. The Husaberg TL looked like it was easier to take apart. But the prise for the Husaberg TL is twice the Highland TL.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #942
benzok
n00b

Oddometer: 7
First TL replaced @ 5000km second at 10000km
Sprag replaced @ 8000 and 9000 ...hm
'13 Gas Gas EC 300 F
benzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #943
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Sprag Replacement

Credit to Rollox for getting the details on the Borg Warner Sprag Clutch.

For future reference if anybody has a sprag failure here is what I learned: The sprag is a Borg Warner Part, Part No. FWD 332008 BLS-H&X.

The same sprag is used in Sherco Enduro, 2004 and on. In the Sherco catalog the part is #0127 referencing Freewheel BWX 1310003. When I got the actual package from Sherco, the part number on the package was identical to the Borg Warner FWD 332008 BLS-H&X. Since I wasn’t 100% sure that the Sherco part would work, I Ordered a KTM Sprag that had all the same leading numbers but no H&X extension. The KTM part # is 58440026000 referencing Free-wheel FWD 332008 BLS. The sprag is used on the KTM LC4 640 with E start from at least 2002 to 2007. I have not installed the KTM sprag but it appears to be identical. Price wise, the KTM sprag was half the cost of the Sherco.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #944
Thumber
Sweden

DNC Dala Navigation Challenge 2011

The offroad adventure in Dalarna Sweden will take place 26-28 Augusti 2011. See post #726 for further info and check out and join www.soe.se. Drop me a PM if you want me to add your name to the challange partisipant list.

Dont let me be the only Highland this year too!

Thumber
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #945
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Question Cooling Fans

Hey Guys -- Another question

Bike is running well, making more mechanical noises than I remember but so it goes. Anyway, took the bike out for a short run [40 - 50 miles so it was at operating temps] and the cooling fans were running as far as I could tell all the time. It was not that hot in DC: 27C - 80F. The fans cut off after shut down in a minute or at most two minutes with the ignition staying in the on position after shut down. The coolant level was OK, the radiator itself was warm to the touch but not hot. The rad cap was hotter but not to the point where it would burn an ungloved hand. The hose off the water pump was warm but not hot.

My question is what should I be checking?