ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
L.A. OP
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Hwy 25 info sought...

I'm heading down to Hood River, Oregon for a friend's wedding and was thinking taking the scenic route along the backside of Mount St. Helens off Hwy 12 at Randle. The route I plotted by map goes:

25 south from Randle
25 to Hwy 90
90 to Hwy 51
51 to Hwy 30, which ends in Carson, WA

Anyone taken this route?

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:25 AM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,295
Yes, this is the standard "behind St. Helens" route.

Some of the best riding in the state, but you're a long ways from medical help if the worst happens, so don't get too frisky. If you have time, do 99 into the crater.

And be cautious of a tight decreasing-radius right-hander about five miles N of the 25/90 intersection as you come off the hill and enter the lowlands. Just before a bridge over a river. There is a landfill of sportbike plastic down in the ditch. The 99 section has a lot of park ranger activity and slow traffic, so I take it pretty easy there. The rest is sporadically patrolled - almost nothing on a weekday, but a few sheriffs and park rangers on weekends.

Great road, have fun.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Butthead
the name fits

Oddometer: 59
LA I don't know when you plan on going to Hood River but theres a national sidecar rally this weekend in Stevenson a couple of miles from Carson. It's at the fair grounds. I'll be there on saturday look me up.
Butthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
L.A. OP
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Hey guys, thanks for the info...I didn't have time to check for responses before leaving for Hood River. I got a late start on Thursday when I departed and ended up riding the behind St. Helens route on Sunday on way from Hood River to Cle Elum to visit relatives before heading back to Seattle.

The road from Carson to Randle is awesome! Loved the twisties, which gave me a chance to wear the rubber nipples off the sidewalls of my Tourances. Traffic was light as the weather was overcast and at about the Clearwater viewpoint the rain came down in torrents. There were a lot of bikes on the road, but most were travelling south.

I was concerned about two road hazards: deer and cages in my lane, but saw a new hazard I didn't think of, which were bicyclists descending the hills in the oncoming lane. I rounded one tight corner to see a bicyclist over the center line, tucked down for speed and towing a bike trailer. Scared the shit out of both of us. When he steered quickly back into his lane I saw the trailer swing wildly. Wonder if he kept it on the road?

Sorry I missed the sidecar ralley, but did see a motoguzzi with hack on 12 headed towards Yakima.

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote