ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #181
VixObs
Adventurer
 
VixObs's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: IE
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
I've never really ridden anything faster than a 250. My WR250X is reasonably quick, but everything's relative. Am I in for a rude awakening if I pick up a Street Triple R? Is it going to be substantially faster than my 250? Just wondering... because my WR250X has already gotten me several warnings around here, and I'm wondering what kind of trouble a STR would get me in LOL.
Well, of course any bike can get you into trouble. My first bike was a Ninja 250. I totally loved it. I had it for almost a year and put 7k on it. If you have all your basic skills down, you'll be fine. The learning curve should be the same as adjusting to any new bike. But the Street will tempt you to go faster. The brakes have a much better feel. Test ride one and you'll see. The throttle tends to be very sensitive at slow speeds, so good smooth throttle control is important.
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #182
njd
Beastly Adventurer
 
njd's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 1,121
Really tempted to sell/trade my Versys for an ST.

What kind of fuel range do you guys get between fill ups?
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #183
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
Really tempted to sell/trade my Versys for an ST.

What kind of fuel range do you guys get between fill ups?

My Daytona gets around 140miles on 3.7 gallons....the Streets are not as heavily tuned, but have more sprocket...so it would be within a few miles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #184
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lafayette, CO
Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
My Daytona gets around 140miles on 3.7 gallons....the Streets are not as heavily tuned, but have more sprocket...so it would be within a few miles.
Light comes on for me at 120-130, and I fill up then. So it's pretty close.
__________________
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #185
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
doublen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
My Daytona gets around 140miles on 3.7 gallons....the Streets are not as heavily tuned, but have more sprocket...so it would be within a few miles.
You forgot, no fairing. It all evens out with the "lesser" powerplant in there. Fuel economy is very subjective though and depends on too many factors to list. Personally I make it a habit to fuel up every 100 miles when on a long trip just to be safe, but commuting back and forth to work I can baby it and have gotten a little more than 190 miles before the fuel light came on. It's all about throttle control and....self control.
__________________
Stay tuned for ride reports ... Idaho to Arizona in May and Idaho to The East Coast in September.
-09' Triumph Street Triple R
I am The Stig...
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #186
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublen View Post
You forgot, no fairing. It all evens out with the "lesser" powerplant in there. Fuel economy is very subjective though and depends on too many factors to list. Personally I make it a habit to fuel up every 100 miles when on a long trip just to be safe, but commuting back and forth to work I can baby it and have gotten a little more than 190 miles before the fuel light came on. It's all about throttle control and....self control.

Indeed, I didn't say that I was below 7-8 grand for most of that 140mile

I still have the stock exhuast just because I like hearing the intake howl.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #187
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Missouri USA
Oddometer: 150
With OEM cans the fuel light came on about 130 miles, with the Arrow twins the light comes on about 145 miles. Best I can calculate (it's pretty hard to fill up exactly the same every time), I'm getting about 43-45 mpg, regardless of driving habits.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #188
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
doublen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Indeed, I didn't say that I was below 7-8 grand for most of that 140mile

I still have the stock exhuast just because I like hearing the intake howl.
Haha, for sure! I ditched my stock exhaust because I was tired of melting saddlebags on it. Competition Werkes low pipe for me. It's loud though.
__________________
Stay tuned for ride reports ... Idaho to Arizona in May and Idaho to The East Coast in September.
-09' Triumph Street Triple R
I am The Stig...
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #189
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber
 
rich_mc's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 2,218
Finally got notice that my Hepco Becker C-Bow Luggage brackets came in from Europe and are now on their way to me

Hope to have some installed pics to post by end of week
__________________
I would like to see common sense used more commonly.

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #190
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
doublen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
Finally got notice that my Hepco Becker C-Bow Luggage brackets came in from Europe and are now on their way to me

Hope to have some installed pics to post by end of week
I'd love to see that.
__________________
Stay tuned for ride reports ... Idaho to Arizona in May and Idaho to The East Coast in September.
-09' Triumph Street Triple R
I am The Stig...
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #191
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lafayette, CO
Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
Finally got notice that my Hepco Becker C-Bow Luggage brackets came in from Europe and are now on their way to me

Hope to have some installed pics to post by end of week
picpicpic!
__________________
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #192
bingbong
Studly Adventurer
 
bingbong's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Obidos, Portugal
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post
Anyone experienced both the Street Triple and the Speed Triple back to back? I'm tinking of adding a 2011 Speed Triple to my stable, but wondering if a Street R would be a better choice. The new Speed is supposed to be closer in the handling departement than it's predecessor, but it still wheighs 25 kg more.

I'm leaning towards the Speed because it has the optional ABS, that glorious 1050 motor and the stunning looking rear end. Anyone who can convince me otherwise?
Hi Eddie,
I did just this yesterday. I rode the 2011 speed III and 2010 streety. The speed III is a fantastic bike and the engine is very nice. But I had much more fun on the streety, it's got plenty of go, not far short of the MM to be honest although less torque, but the low gearing seems to disguise this so it feels like a bigger engine than it is. The streety is much more nimble, and if I was considering doing track days (as I know you do) I would rather the 675 for sure. If it was my only ride, I would probably have the speed III as it seemed more comfortable for the longer rides, but there really isn't much to choose from each other here, both have a great riding position.
Me? I think I am going to get the 675, just waiting for a trade in price for my SMC, I am excited about owning one of these, that engine is addictive
__________________
Ducati Multi1200
"you're never too old to learn something stupid" -- unknown.
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #193
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer
 
queenpdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 965
Got a Dart Manta screen

I just replaced my Triumph visor and screen setup with the new Dart Manta screen. You have to make a few adjustments to acommodate the R bike, but it was fairly easy to fit.

Linky for Manta:

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/street3.html

Consequently I am selling my Triumph branded setup if you are interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15996277

I am really pleased with the Dart. It sends the wind up and over my helmet (moreso because I added a few spacers that angle the screen more forward to address clearance issues on the R). If anyone has any questions about either screen let me know.
__________________
Two wheels good

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #194
bingbong
Studly Adventurer
 
bingbong's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Obidos, Portugal
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
I just replaced my Triumph visor and screen setup with the new Dart Manta screen. You have to make a few adjustments to acommodate the R bike, but it was fairly easy to fit.

Linky for Manta:

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/street3.html

Consequently I am selling my Triumph branded setup if you are interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15996277

I am really pleased with the Dart. It sends the wind up and over my helmet (moreso because I added a few spacers that angle the screen more forward to address clearance issues on the R). If anyone has any questions about either screen let me know.
I notice it says "not for the R version" sounds like you made it work though. how did you do it? and what's the diferrence between the versions.
The screen looks good.
__________________
Ducati Multi1200
"you're never too old to learn something stupid" -- unknown.
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #195
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: CAK - Ohio
Oddometer: 224
I demo'd a street triple over the weekend at the local Triumph dealer. I thought that because I am a big guy (6-0 / 200lb) that it would not be comfortable. I was wrong. I really like the light weight of the bike. It was easy to flick around. It reminded me of my old memories of the RD400 I had in my youth.

I thought a Tiger 800 or a Bonny would be the way to go, but the steet triple was really fun.

I can see an S3 in my future provided I could ride it for longer than 20 minutes to see how my knees feel.
__________________
"If you have to worry about the risk, you're dead already." Paul Newman
sjsred323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014