Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #46
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Charlie and others with rally experience. Is the weight on the bars really bad? Is it worth the extra work and fabrication to make a bracket that bolts to the steering stem? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #47
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Charlie and others with rally experience. Is the weight on the bars really bad? Is it worth the extra work and fabrication to make a bracket that bolts to the steering stem? Thanks!

After a full day of racing when you are tired, it's very nice to be relieved of that extra pendulum effect when going through ruts and sand. And of course, if you don't have it to begin with you will have less strain on your upper body. If you run a full rally setup theres a couple of kgs up high where you don't want it pulling at the bars.

But if you are running a Acerbis type rb-holder and a Vector there is no need imho.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #48
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I'll echo this- I have all three popular options- F2R, TT, and MD. The F2R is, to me, superior, even if money were no object (it's actually the cheapest option, also).

WORD!!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #49
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
After a full day of racing when you are tired, it's very nice to be relieved of that extra pendulum effect when going through ruts and sand. And of course, if you don't have it to begin with you will have less strain on your upper body. If you run a full rally setup theres a couple of kgs up high where you don't want it pulling at the bars.

But if you are running a Acerbis type rb-holder and a Vector there is no need imho.
I've run lots and lots of rally routes with a handlebar-mounted setup. I don't notice the extra weight on the bars much. Generally, a handlebar-mounted setup will be lighter and simpler than a frame-mounted setup. So, that means a lighter bike overall, which is never bad. Mostly, I'm too cheap and lazy to build a frame-mounted setup for my XR, and I don't see any real need to. If I were to run another big rally, I'd take the XR with handlebar clamps, F2R, and one ICO. We ran 8 bikes with this setup in our last Rally School without a hitch. In my book, simpler is better. (And, when others are prepping their bikes, you can be out riding.)

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #50
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Mike Shirley's setup:
Attached Images

lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #51
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,295
^ VERY nice K.I.S.S. system
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #52
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
another style:

Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #53
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Oh, please. If you´re goin to pick on eachother, use pm.
Don´t spoil a good thread!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #54
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The bike clearly handles better with weight off the handlebars, but IMO, that's not actually very important, unless you're actually trying to win something. Most of rally riding is avoiding mistakes and drama, not maximizing the performance of the bike.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #55
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:
The bike clearly handles better with weight off the handlebars, but IMO, that's not actually very important, unless you're actually trying to win something. Most of rally riding is avoiding mistakes and drama, not maximizing the performance of the bike.
The handlebarmount does seem to make life a bit more difficult for me in the deep sand
Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #56
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm building up my 690 and it's one of those decisions you only need to make if you can afford the Nav bracket/fairing and I'm not certain I can so, the decision has been made even easier now

I will say that I was a victim off the Farkle disease in the past and loaded my handle bars with all kinds of crap that I really didn't need. Once I slimmed down, the bike handled better and I was less distracted. Sounds like not everyone has the same opinion about the weight though. Maybe a Carbon fiber roll chart holder would be a good product for someone to make and have it come with an integrated clamp and ICO holder
Old 05-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #57
RenoMoto
Rally Navigator

Oddometer: 210
Nav feedback...weight on the bars = Steering stabilizer

Inmates:

I run Charlie's set up pictured above.

Some feedback on the bar mount nav set up. It works great, once assembled and getting the wiring harness organized it's an easy unit to install and remove when I'm not riding roll chart routes.

To me the "pendulum effect" of the mass of the nav gear acts in a similar way to a steering stabilizer. Most of us run a stabilizer of some sort.

Just a thought, I'm sure there is a counterpoint I may not be considering.
Pics - Moto - Dakar Rally - Rally Mongolia - TAT - F1 - Sports Cars - Crap
Rally Navigator - Create, Print & Share Rally Routes with Google Earth.
RenoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #58
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494

Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #59
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Rally Sardegna

I just saw some footage of the Rally Sardegna, that is currently in progress.

Everybody uses handlebar mounted brackets to suort the roadbook/ICO, probably because it is more an roadbook navigated enduro than a desert race, but what suporised me is that at 2:00 you see a KTM, that uses only ONE bracket to support the nav.gear.

http://youtu.be/Bdb2eF9wau0

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #60
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
IMO it's all about trying to stay as fresh as possible to avoid mistakes during rallies and removing weight from the bars does just that to me. I've run both setups and removing the junk helped me stay fresh for a lot longer and keep the pace up.

But if you can keep the weight near the steering stem of the forks, it will of course cause less drag in the steering. It will make for difficult reading of the instruments though and I'm way too tall for such a setup during fast rallies.

But for enduro type races with RB, I use a simple plastic rb-holder on the bars. But they are rarely about navigation, more about getting around to the various special sections.